I have a Springfield M1A rifle. It is a full sized one and it came with the polymer stock. Recently at a gun show I saw and bought a veteran wood M14 stock in really nice shape, including all the buttplate hardware. Now I need to decide if I should keep the polymer stock or sell it. The wood stock looks so much better on the rifle. There is only one possible problem with it, there is a slight relief on the rear right of the receiver channel. Seems the original military M14 had something there and now there is a small open gap in the wood stock through which I can look into the trigger group. I would be grateful if some of you old timers who were issued M14s could tell me what was there that needed the wood to be relieved so. Also asking opinions if I should keep the original stock or not.

I have a Springfield M1A rifle. It is a full sized one and it came with the polymer stock. Recently at a gun show I saw and bought a veteran wood M14 stock in really nice shape, including all the buttplate hardware. Now I need to decide if I should keep the polymer stock or sell it. The wood stock looks so much better on the rifle. There is only one possible problem with it, there is a slight relief on the rear right of the receiver channel. Seems the original military M14 had something there and now there is a small open gap in the wood stock through which I can look into the trigger group. I would be grateful if some of you old timers who were issued M14s could tell me what was there that needed the wood to be relieved so. Also asking opinions if I should keep the original stock or not.

Best stock for a fighting M1A is the USGI brown fiberglass.Most repeatable,least warpage,lightest weight.

Used to be what was under that black finish on an M1A was an old USGI fiberglass stock with the selector slot filled and then painted with some black textured paint.

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/stocks.asp

... There is only one possible problem with it, there is a slight relief on the rear right of the receiver channel. Seems the original military M14 had something there and now there is a small open gap in the wood stock through which I can look into the trigger group. I would be grateful if some of you old timers who were issued M14s could tell me what was there that needed the wood to be relieved so. Also asking opinions if I should keep the original stock or not.

That was where the full auto selector switch went. Or did'nt, many M14 rifles had them removed.

You can:

1. Get a fake selector and put there. It ill not work of course, but some people like the looks.

2. Get a small pre-made block that fills in that space. I forget who made them

3. Fill in in with Fiberglass, J&B Weld or ???

4. Don't worry about it.

When you say "polymer stock" I assume that you are talking about fiberglass. SOPMOD is telling you the straight up truth. For all weather consistency this is the way to go.

Of course this is cost prohibitive but the VLTOR M1A stock system is a great alternative. Personally, I went with a SAGE M-4 stock on my SOCOM. The M1A/M-14 needs and performs better I feel with a pistol grip other than what is on the standard rod. The sage stock eliminates the need for glass bedding, this rifle's weak point as related to accuraccy but it will significantly shrink group size, is heavy and very expensive and pretty much indestructible. The VLTOR is the reworked fiberglass stock with adjustable stock and PG. Troy Industries also offers a nice but again expensive rig as do the canucks @ Marstar. These stocks all have the selector cutout as they are made for the M-14/ military application.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I figured it was the selector switch but was not sure. Knew they gave up on the full auto after they figured out it was quite uncontrollable. The polymer stock I am talking about is the standard one with rubber buttpad that comes with the M1A from the Springfield Factory. From what I just read on the Springfield website it is fiberglass, not polymer, my bad. Guess I will keep both, one for show and one for performance. I knew the fiberglass stock was not susceptible to warpage already. Probably will try the gun out with both stock to see how they do compared to each other too. I paid $50 cash for the wood stock, seen them on gunbroker for $85+ without all the metal accessories, guess I did OK. The M14/M1A has been a must have rifle of mine for long time, glad I was able to get one when they were cheaper, paid only $1000 for it.

Is your gun a standard or a match grade?just my 2 cents,if its a standard model with the black plastic stock.then I would put a wooden stock on it for looks,if you have a match or loaded model I would get a Mcmillian or something match grade,if you have the factory cammo stock its a good stock its not made from the same black plastic as the cheapo black stock

Is your gun a standard or a match grade?just my 2 cents,if its a standard model with the black plastic stock.then I would put a wooden stock on it for looks,if you have a match or loaded model I would get a Mcmillian or something match grade,if you have the factory cammo stock its a good stock its not made from the same black plastic as the cheapo black stock

I think it is a standard with the black stock. Got it used. Has match front sight but regular rear peep. Polymer/fiberglass stock has rubber butt pad. Carbon steel barrel with parkerizing. Used to have the scope mount attachment in the rear but dealer wanted it and I wanted stripper clip ability for reloading too. I shoot better with iron sights anyway. Thanks for the input.

I think it is a standard with the black stock. Got it used. Has match front sight but regular rear peep. Polymer/fiberglass stock has rubber butt pad. Carbon steel barrel with parkerizing. Used to have the scope mount attachment in the rear but dealer wanted it and I wanted stripper clip ability for reloading too. I shoot better with iron sights anyway. Thanks for the input.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/silhouette.htm

Try this site. They can make any type of stock you want. Looking at one for my Mosin.

Your BEST bet with Richards microfit is to buy something from their bargain bin... otherwise expect to pay above top dollar for an UNFINISHED stock that will take 2 to 3 months to arrive at your door...

Ask me HOW I KNOW ALL THIS??? :up:

The stocks are very nice... but I wouldnt say they are worth the money + wait + needing to be finished.

If you can find one in the bargain bin... there is no wait, cheaper price but you still have to finish it yourself...

:smoke:

saigaczech, i think we have the same rifle the basic sa m1a, some pics

m1a036.jpg

m1a034.jpg

Yup, that is it. I just do not have a scope mount. That is the stock I have. And I now also have the classic wooden M14 stock. After reading the posts here will keep both. I do not believe high end stocks will make me a better rifle shooter. There is only so much technology can do with failing eyesight and middle age.

• 2 weeks later...
*sigh* I just bought my XD and now I think I need an M1A. :cryss: Stupid addictive guns.

Yup, very addicting....Very. Got about 80 now, told myself I would just get one a decade ago.

Good looking M1A. I have a M1A Loaded with Walnut stock. I prefer the look and feel of wood.The fiberglass is more stable