I bought one of these from Midway:GoldenRod Dehumidifier 18" Long (Protects 200 Cubic Feet) with Detachable Plug 110v Gold, it say it gets to the temperature of 150 F I have uppers in the safe that are not complete .. and in there original boxes.. and the thing is packed all the way to the top... do you think this could be a fire hazard if it touches cardboard... any suggestions to clearance an 18 x 1 inch rod from touching anything but still being able to stack things on top.. Im pretty sure I could do it if i was home.. however im stationed overseas and have to rely on the family to there and my Guns good to go.. ohh also.. an

AR upper in factory box with factory gun oil, will last with out rusting for about how long? It would not be a problem if I was home but ...im not so any input would be appreciated.

I'm interested in this as well. I've got a Golden Rod too.

It's hot to the touch, but personally, I don't think it's near hot enough to start a fire. I do keep any of my stocks from touching it though.

I'm not sure where you live (where your safe is), but just a heads up, eventhough I have a Golden Rod, I saw slight rust on an AK mag once. This was during a super humid NY summer though, so I'm not sure if humidity is a problem where you are. I threw some of those "rechargeable" desiccant packs in there for added protection, and haven't had a problem since.

post-526-1231112451_thumb.jpg

attachment=27055:HPIM2218.JPG]

post-526-1231112516_thumb.jpg

I thougt about a Goldenrod, but in a "busy" safe there is no room to keep it away from wooden stocks. The heat should be kept at least a foot from wooden stocks to prevent uneven heating wich can crack or warp stocks.

This is what I use, you can find these in the laundry isle at the grocery store. I empty and recharge them about 3 times a year.

post-526-1231112304_thumb.jpg

I have a 3'x7' reinforced bolted closet that i keep my guns and stuff in.Theres one large golden rod in there and one of the Damp Rid cans,i have to change out/refill the damp rid about every 6 weeks....ive done this for years and never had a speck of rust on a gun,even with Ohio's humid summers,air conditioning helps tho.

i've got a golden rod or some other named version of it.

in my safe there is a removable floor to allow bolting it down to the floor. This leaves about 2 inches space under a carpeted platform that the guns rest on.

this is the perfect space for the golden rod. guns never feel a temp change, and it is dry as a bone in there

post-526-1231112451_thumb.jpg

attachment=27055:HPIM2218.JPG]

post-526-1231112516_thumb.jpg

I thougt about a Goldenrod, but in a "busy" safe there is no room to keep it away from wooden stocks. The heat should be kept at least a foot from wooden stocks to prevent uneven heating wich can crack or warp stocks.

This is what I use, you can find these in the laundry isle at the grocery store. I empty and recharge them about 3 times a year.

With all the desiccant type creations I've seen for gun safes, I've never seen this stuff used. Always good to see more options out there :up: .

By "recharge" do you mean just throw out the old stuff, and replace with new? Also, does it change color or anything, to let you know that it's saturated, and no longer absorbing moisture?

I have a question that maybe someone can help me with........Like I stated earlier, I saw slight rust developing on a mag once, eventhough I have a Golden Rod. At the time, I had 4 wooden dowels (about 1.5" x 3') with a wooden "shelf" supported with said dowels, acting as a 2nd shelf. Could it be that the wood, which was untreated and obviously not sealed with anything, was putting out moisture? I got to thinking about this the other day. I don't know what kind of wood it was, but I assume it can/did have some moisture in it, that may have aided in the rust development.