I got a Saiga, but did I get screwed?

After reading a lot of different threads on different forums I'm begging to think I got tooled on my Saiga 7.62. Used 2008 , already converted to pistol grip with tapco parts, tapco trigger, and welded in bullet guide(which I haven't seen before). I payed $850 including tax. On the other hand I found a nicely abused WASR at another shop for $600.

On the upside I love shooting this thing and its been nothing but fun.

post-14849-1231191388_thumb.jpg

post-14849-1231191406_thumb.jpg

With the prices on AK rifles now, you didn't do too bad. I have seen converted ones going for $1000++ I just paid $419 for a new Non-coverted one. The place that I bought mine from had a converted one for $800. If you like it, then the price wasn't bad. It all depends on what you like. Yours is exactly what mine will look like when I convert it(if I ever do) Anyways, nice rifle!

Sorry about the quality of the pics I'm using a higher end webcam but it is still grainy.

The guide has a beveled edge its a little rough but I figure this is from use. As far as who converted it I have no idea. But other than the bullet guide everything else seems like it was done properly other than the mag wiggling a little bit.

post-14849-1231254869.jpg

post-14849-1231254879_thumb.jpg

post-14849-1231254890.jpg

post-14849-1231254898.jpg

Edited by CaptainSwitchblade

If you can get in there with a dremel and a grinding wheel, or course sanding drum, you may be able to clean it up some. I would polish the leading edge at least. As long as it's feeding fine, and isn't loose, I guess there's no need to go through all would take to R&R it.

To answer your initial question: yes, you took one in the rear. If you live in a state with a 30 day refund policy, I would suggest returning it ASAP. You can get the same model from atlantic firearms for $629 ( http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta/storeproduct433.aspx ) and for $475 from classicarms (they will not have them in stock until who knows when though).

But still $800 is to much.

A month ago my friend payed $450 for his (I got to tell him "I told you so" cause I got mine a couple months earlier for $350 and he was with me saying "oh I'll get one of these some day"). Add $175 for parts mostly from Dinzag and a couple hours to do the job in my garage...I'd feel like I got ripped if I was in your shoes but hey it's money spent and I'm sure you'll enjoy the gun. Only recourse I can see is to go buy a S12 (or whatever other Saiga you don't have, if you don't have others) and do the conversion yourself and you'll see how easy it is and learn something too.

I wouldn't feel too bad about the price. I had "EXPERT" friends (every one knows these guys, never shot an AK but Experts) tell me that to own an AK it was going to at least cost me $700 to $800. I go and buy a WASR 10 "NIB" from Century for $400 thinking I go a great deal on an ak. Winds up a Wasr 10 at that time could have been had for $250.Wanted to take it back. I took it to the range and all the pain was gone after the first clip. Did my homework, joined forums kept my ears open. Now I finished 2 Kit builds and I have 2 amd 65's with the origional barrels. OH and a7.62 Saiga converted. Keep your chin up and shoot the ass off of it.

I wouldn't feel too bad about the price. I had "EXPERT" friends (every one knows these guys, never shot an AK but Experts) tell me that to own an AK it was going to at least cost me $700 to $800. I go and buy a WASR 10 "NIB" from Century for $400 thinking I go a great deal on an ak. Winds up a Wasr 10 at that time could have been had for $250.Wanted to take it back. I took it to the range and all the pain was gone after the first clip. Did my homework, joined forums kept my ears open. Now I finished 2 Kit builds and I have 2 amd 65's with the origional barrels. OH and a7.62 Saiga converted. Keep your chin up and shoot the ass off of it.

I got hosed bad on my first rifle...never will set foot in that shop again. I do my homework now, we all gotta start somewhere and nobody was instantly born with all the knowledge in the world.

I got both of my x39's (we're talking unconverted here) for $300 each, at different times. During those times, $300 was on the high end of what they were going for.

Now, less than a year after I bought my last x39, they're going for much more.

So I agree with your plan. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. Next time you want to buy something, ask here, and someone will be able to give you a ballpark estimate of what you should be paying. Not even just about AK's. There's lots of helpful, knowledgeable guys here that can offer up some info on pricing and/or if you should even buy it :D .

Well, you got one anyway. A lot of folk can't even locate one to buy. I had to visit 2 local shops every week for months and months until I finally got a hold of my 7.62x39 and S12. I managed to get the 7.62 used for $275 about 6 months ago, but the S12 just kept creeping up and up in price until I was finally able to get the only Siaga that was delivered to the shop in the entire month a few weeks ago. I paid the going rate, but it still makes you sick when you see what they were selling for compared to 2004/2005.

My first 4 saigas were all under $280, and thats in the PRK. I bought up a dozen different AK parts kits back then too for under $100 a pc. In retrospect, that was some great investing on my part. The last 2 I bought were a Saiga .308 for $550 and an Arsenal SGL-10 for just over $600. The days of cheap fun are over!

Maybe I need to go Kyber Pass style; melt down some pots and pans, pound and stamp out my own AK!

Thanks for the info everybody. To be honest I didn't even know what it was when I got it. They had it marked as a Russian Ak47 so it caught my attention since I was in the market for a black gun. I picked it up and inspected it and everything seemed right about it so I put half of the money down and paid it off in two weeks. When I got it home I looked up the markings and learned what I had. So the Friday after X-mas I go to the range and put around 100 rounds through it at the 100yd range (everything else was full). I had a blast and fell in love with it. Happy shooting guys and gals.

Oh yeah I will keep you updated on my progress with it too :devil:

A bit pricey for a converted gun but not outside the realm of possibility. Especially these days. Just enjoy the fact someone did the work for you & shoot the hell out of it. You didn't get a bargain but you didn't get completely hosed either, just paid a bit more than some.