I purchased a SBR parts kit and compatible receiver from a guy, and had it transferred from his FFL to my local FFL. The bad thing is they were mailed in the same box. This looks suspicious, like I may have "intent to build" an unregistered NFA weapon. Of course, I planned to do this only after paying $200 and filing appropriate paperwork.

So my local FFL called the ATF to see what to do about it. They're waiting for their phone call to be returned. I'm a bit nervous.

Since it's legal to own an SBR parts kit, and since it's legal to own a receiver, can it be illegal to own both at the same time, without posessing the proper NFA paperwork? If anyone has a internet link or advice with some official documentation/legalities regarding this I would appreciate it.

I don't want to get myself or either of the transferring FFL holders screwed.

Edit: I spoke w/ the ATF and got everything cleared up. Read below if you're interested.

Edited by zakmatthews

You are worrying needlessly.

The parts kit is legally "junk" until it's riveted to a receiver with a barrel installed.

Evan at that point, if no buttstock has been attached, you could still call it a "pistol".

If the laws were based on "what someone could do" versus what one actually does, nobody'd ever do anything.

Got a car? Throw him in jail, he could speed or run over somone.

Got a penis? Throw him in jail, he could rape someone with it.

Edited by nalioth

It's an AMD-65. It's got a vertical foward grip = AOW if built into a pistol.

Good to know that the kit is considered "junk" though. Thanks.

Nalioth: I like your analogies. I'll be happy to share them with the ATF and a Jury to help my case.

Will: Chocolate will do just fine.

Edited by zakmatthews
It's an AMD-65. It's got a vertical foward grip = AOW if built into a pistol.

The forward grip does not have to be installed.

That said I still think about the "constructive possesion" argument used to get folks who have items the BATFE doesn't want them to have.

That would put everyone with a Krink or AMD65 kit and an NDS-3 receiver afoul of the law.

"Constructive intent" is quite different with a box of unassembled AK parts versus having an AR15 with a legal length upper and an extra shorty upper upon which you were "just waiting on the pistol receiver".

Edited by nalioth

Big props to the ATF! I spoke with both the NFA Branch and the Firearms Technology Branch on the telephone and we got everything cleared up in no time. They were very helpful, and even called my local FFL to explain the situation to them. :up:

Basically, you guys were correct. Possessing an SBR parts kit and a compatible receiver at the same time is completely legal. There is no issue with it at all. Just take all the necessary legal steps before constructing it.

The only time it is illegal is if the NFA parts kit contains all the necessary parts to construct a machine gun, and if the receiver is ready to accept all the full-auto parts w/o modification.

I love this forum.

Edited by zakmatthews