Anyone in New Mexico need someone to do conversion

Alright I just ordered my Saiga 12 from gunbroker and it should be here soon. I thought it was decent looking until I got on this site. Thanks alot lol. I really wanted a pistol grip and a folding stock before looking here and now I'm thinking of a conversion. Has anyone done a conversion here in New Mexico?? Does anyone know if a reputable place in Albuquerque or in the state who does the conversion reasonably?? I'm not sure exactly what I want like I said grip stock and a couple for pretty things. Any help would be appreciated!

Rob

I'm from Albuquerque I though I could find a relable gun smith here but after looking for a year they seem like they don't want to try anything. So I've given up.

I've asked a few gunsmiths if they could add a detchable magazine to my bolt action rifle and they told me it wasn't possible. I'm sure if I asked Tony and he had the time he would do it he could. From the people I've talk to it seems like they only do repairs and maintance.

I'd actually be surpised if there are any in Albuquerque that have done anything to a saiga. The ones I've seen at the range I go to didn't even know what the gun was. It seems like it is ussually the younger guys that even know what a saiga is at least here in NM. All the good ones must be too busy to be looking for more business...

You can probably try Ron Petersons but last time I went in there they didn't know what an UZI was... Or some of the other firearm stores in Albuquerque. I know Sportsmans doesn't have anyone useful, they don't even know half of what they are trying to sell.

If you find a good smith please PM so I can check them out. Good luck.

My Saiga is at Cadiz Gun Works for a conversion. I did not bother looking local because I wanted someone who knows Saigas to do my conversion not some Bubba in his garage experimenting with instructions from the internets. I would have done it myself but I like the idea of the parts being welded on instead of bolted and I want my conversion to have a good professional finish. I just chose a standard conversion but I will do more myself.

Edited by lipadj46
just started a conversion on mine. got the gun pulled apart but am waiting on parts and the thumbs up on on a sbs from big brother. as nalioth said, most of it has been easy except one stubborn pin in the gas block. are you in abq or elsewhere in the state?

Yes I'm in Albuquerque and I've got a shop with welders and everthing u might need. I'd love to help with your conversion I'm sure it would be a big help with mine. PM me and I'll get you my phone number. Interested in which accessories you chose.

Thanks,

Rob

It's easy to do, the hardest part is getting the rivets out.

Most gun smiths only do cleaning and basic repairs, some of the better setups can duracoat.

I'm still looking for a local guy that is setup for adding a scope/drill and tap setup to a vintage early 40's erloom .22 rifle and re blue.

I may have to look at shipping.. although I'm not sure how that will work; back in the 40's remington did not put serials on their .22's just proof marks...

FBMG here just got setup and are now offering saiga conversions, and duracoat.

I'm still a little mad at them for chargine me $100 to do a basic safety check on a nagant rifle...

Edited by Gibbles
I'm still a little mad at them for chargine me $100 to do a basic safety check on a nagant rifle...

Why the heck would you pay $100 for a saftey check on a nagant? How much did you even pay for the rifle? Wouldn't a good enough saftey check be seeing if you can fire it at the range with the saftey on. Is there a problem with some nagant rifles that I don't know about?

Also back on topic I thought a true conversion requires a bit of drilling and welding...

Edited by Joeddox

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=28316

Also, I believe the basic conversion? correct me if I am wrong on what you ordered, is the least expensive option, and has NOT had the holes welded up on the reciever. Check our bama special thread for pictures of that option. Nylon hole plugs work pretty well on the holes, if you like. I dont know what you wound up ordering, lipadj46, as I have been on other calls and clients since i spoke with you.

I lived in Albuturkey for a winter in the land of entrapment. I hear ya on the shops there. They didnt seem very condusive to me while i was there, but they ARE the game in town.

Do consider us for your conversion needs, even if you have to wait a little bit for it to be completed. Mr Cole has 25 years in the gun industry, and is a 4th generation gunsmith. If you guys local there decide to get together and get stuck on something, feel free to contact me, as well. Ill do what I can to help ya'll out.

Also be sure to check out the videos of the FA S12 beast in our section and mdarms section, posted by Mr Cole aka VanKiller.

I wouldn't deal with anyone who charged $100 for a safety check on a rifle which generally runs $100 or less... unless you got a nice Finn or sniper model, that is.

I wouldn't deal with anyone who charged $100 for a safety check on a rifle which generally runs $100 or less... unless you got a nice Finn or sniper model, that is.

I'd charge you $20 to use a long string and shoot your nagant rifle a few times to see if it is safe after my quick inspection.

I also do saiga 12 inspections but they are more extensive. I take your gun for 1 to 2 years and use it when ever I'm at the range and report back to you each time I shoot it how fun it was. :lolol:

It was a russian 91/30, nothing special, I paid about $89 for it...

When they gave me the total I damn near let them keep it...

the barrel looked like a sewer pipe so I wanted them to do a headspace check on it, as they have a nice collection of FA PKMs that use the same round...

Needless to say they lost some business from me... but the time I spent behind the trigger of one of their PKMs and other FA guns free of charge I just paid it out trying to hold a smile...

I never have shot the thing, it's to long to fit into the safe so it site in the corner of my closet...

Hardest thing about a conversion/restoration is getting the ALL the parts in the same place at the same time. A lot of the dealers are out of stock of what you need. Most of the vendors here can help you out, It's getting the other stuff that can be fustrating. Good luck on your project, you will have a great time with it. HUZZAH!!

Since MAA decided to sell out of some of the conversion parts while waiting for the surefire mags to come in, then dropped my order, I am waiting on my FCG, grip and stock. They did ship the trigger guard and mag though.. hah.

Once I get all my parts me and oct0gen should be able to get my conversion done pretty quick.

I got my S12 from a shop called Shooters Den here in ABQ but I don't think they have gotten many more in and cant keep that kind of stuff in stock.

lipadj46 can you let us know how that conversion works out. I'd like to see pictures if possible and how much it cost.

If I do the basic conversion it is $300. I sent them the 3 bills but I may add on a few upgrades I'm not sure yet. I will post some pics when I get it back.