Are these really as tough on the wrists as some say?

I've got my tax refund coming soon, and was thinking about getting either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, PG-only, mainly for the overall length. I'd like to have an HD weapon, that I can leave outside of the safe, but out of plain sight, for easy access. Plus, I don't think there is anything shorter than a PG-only setup, without going into NFA territory, and I'd like as short a weapon as possible for an HD weapon.

"But why not use your S12?" you might ask.

Because in the worst case scenario, I'd rather a $300ish pump get stolen, than any other gun I own. That's how I look at it anyway.

Hell no its not bad at all. The only long gun I had for years was a Mossy 500 with a pistol grip. The bigger question might be whether you are comfortable with the ergonomics of working the action for follow up shots while aiming. That took some getting used to for me.

Hell no its not bad at all. The only long gun I had for years was a Mossy 500 with a pistol grip. The bigger question might be whether you are comfortable with the ergonomics of working the action for follow up shots while aiming. That took some getting used to for me.

Or you always have the option of a top folding stock. You can pistol grip it or fold it out for shoulder firing. The best of both worlds. Thats what I have on my Winchester 1300 defender (soon to be gone).

Or you always have the option of a top folding stock. You can pistol grip it or fold it out for shoulder firing. The best of both worlds. Thats what I have on my Winchester 1300 defender (soon to be gone).

Ah yes, I forgot about those. Thanks for reminding me. That might be the ticket for what I want.

How is the ATI holding up? Is it solid?

Ah yes, I forgot about those. Thanks for reminding me. That might be the ticket for what I want.

How is the ATI holding up? Is it solid?

Solid as the day I put it on (about 4 years ago). Here are some pics to show you.

sdc10870ak0.jpg

sdc10866wc7.jpg

sdc10865ii5.jpg

pistol grip only shotguns are not that bad if you learn to shoot them correctly and forget the hip shooting shit. I have a 870 SBS with a 7 inch barrel and an Ithaca 37 AOW with a 13 inch barrel that I shoot 00Buck with no problems.

The proper technique for such a weapon is...

Shoot from eye level, sight down the barrel, weapon fully extended at arms length. With strong hand (trigger hand) PULL back, with support hand PUSH forward. Yes, like you are trying to stretch the gun.

I don't understand why everyone wants to fire them from the hip. You wouldn't shoot a .44MAG,.454 Casull or any other heavy recoiling bigbore revolver from the hip. why a 12ga??

Edited by Banshee
I don't understand why everyone wants to fire them from the hip. You wouldn't shoot a .44MAG,.454 Casull or any other heavy recoiling bigbore revolver from the hip. why a 12ga??

I don't know either. Probably like AZ-Dave said, because it looks "cool" and people see it in movies. :rolleyes: I think it's the same as fools holding handguns sideways.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know either. Probably like AZ-Dave said, because it looks "cool" and people see it in movies. :rolleyes: I think it's the same as fools holding handguns sideways.

Another PG with Top Wire Folder is the Knox setup with recoil-reducer (for us really old farts)...

... They claim up to 65%...

...thinking about putting one on my Maverick-88 instead of the ATI stock...

Should still work with the heat-shield and sights from ATI...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-F...ck,1156,165.htm

Bad part is they're about twice the buck at ~ $129...

They (Knox) also have a PG only stock, no folder...

:smoke:

Edited by CaptLouie

Another PG with Top Wire Folder is the Knox setup with recoil-reducer (for us really old farts)...

we wouldn't want them to drop their purse would we.

Edited by Banshee
  • 2 months later...

oops, read the post reply wrong. Edited by BronCobraJet