Aluminum Mags?

Aluminum may not be able to hold up to a 3" mag 12 ga but steel definitely would be great. Something like the CMI M14 mags would be perfect. Problem would be cost though. I doubt any company is wiling to invest in the R&D and tooling costs to make a good steel S12 mag.

I've never seen any. Is it because it's a bad idea, or is it a cost issue? Maybe even a bit of both?

I've thought about trying to bend some flat sheet metal but its more complicated then you would think. I'm pretty sure it could be done since its been done for years with the AK-47.

I don't want to give away any of my ideas but I've been trying to develop a cool mag of my own. :dollar:

Personally I think for me the way to go is high tech plastic.

Edited by Joeddox

No, I know how complicated it is to bend sheet metal. Especially having it stamped. Anything that requires dies is expensive as hell.

I was thinking more of machined or CNC job. Something along those lines. I'm sure it would still be expensive but, it was just thought I had. I was curious to know if the main problem was cost, or it just plain sucked as 12 gauge mag material.

Machined possible, CNC wouldn't be very effective at all. Most mags I've seen are either plastic or stamped then folded metal. Generally with a CNC machine, you start with a block of metal and reduce it. I guess you could use the CNC to cut sheet metal, but there are better tools for that.

I have a pic saved on my computer of a prototype metal saiga 12 mag that looks to hold either 10 or 12 rounds. I don't know the full story behind it but it never went into production. I will edited the pic in later when I get back home.

post-1914-1234036768.jpg

Never made it off the ground, IIRC it was a whole lot of tooling up front and was going to be too expensive of a mag

I have a pic saved on my computer of a prototype metal saiga 12 mag that looks to hold either 10 or 12 rounds. I don't know the full story behind it but it never went into production. I will edited the pic in later when I get back home.

post-1914-1234036768.jpg

Never made it off the ground, IIRC it was a whole lot of tooling up front and was going to be too expensive of a mag

Looks like 10 rounds to me Joe, you need to account for some room at the buttom for the spring and follower

I don't remember any numbers that the board member posted, all I can remember is he said "it would cost too much". The dies were for sale on auctionarms about a year in a half or two years ago.

This mag was in development back when the AGPS were being developed

I've never seen any. Is it because it's a bad idea, or is it a cost issue? Maybe even a bit of both?

You probably never will see an aluminum mag because the tooling would be the same for a steel mag, and people would rather have it in steel.

Okay so steel would be better if it was a metal mag.

My problem right now is having the knowledge and experience to do something but not having access to the equipment. I hate looking at stuff from a machinists POV because I know I could do it by my damn self for less than half what somebody else is charging or would quote me for. :lol:

Okay so steel would be better if it was a metal mag.

My problem right now is having the knowledge and experience to do something but not having access to the equipment. I hate looking at stuff from a machinists POV because I know I could do it by my damn self for less than half what somebody else is charging or would quote me for. :lol:

I don't have the experience to do it but I sure wish I had better access to a cnc mill. Lots of ideas for that one. I've got access to a cnc turret punch press and cnc bender. So I'm going to pop my cheery on a mac 10 in 45. See if I can make a sheet metal receiver. :super: