Hi All,

My name is Chris, I have just recently purchased a Saiga 12g (IZ-209) from a firearms dealers in Delaware (I live in Maryland, but about half mile from DE/MD state line), I feel I got a good deal $569 for the firearm, brand new. Cost me $25 to have it transferred to FFL in MD. I was under impression it had to be registered one way, but FFL guy registered it as long gun? I'm 30yrs old, married to my lovely wife (who purchased the Saiga for me as a gift) and my main hobbies are cigars (I'm a little over the top in this one) and cars.

Anyways.. I'm extremely happy to be here, once I get my feet wet, get a general sense for the gun and how the forum runs, I hope to be an active contributor.

I'm going to post the story/rant of my purchasing saga, hope you enjoy. (I can laugh about it now)

Here's the story..

I go to a gun show, see a gun that I would like to buy. I am not interested in buying from the gun show, I decide to locate on and buy from my local dealer. I research the gun, legalities, any restrictions, state law, transferring gun etc. I call local dealer ask if he has specific gun, he says he has one and it is the last one he will be getting. I inform him I will be over in the morning to purchase.

Now the fun begins....

I go to the dealer, look at gun, tell him I'll buy it, he says great let's do the paperwork and get you on your way. Dealer is in Delaware, I live on the DE/MD line, with physical address being in Maryland (4 houses down is in DE, but we won't go into that). I give dealer my MD drivers license, he replies "I don't know if this gun is legal in Maryland, I assure him it is, let him know it falls under "Regulated Assault Rifle", let him know he has to transfer to FFL (Federal Firearms License) in Maryland and that I have to wait 7 days. He says OK, I just have to check with my "highly reliable" FFL guy in MD to make sure. Dealer calls his FFL guys home, cell and business no answer at all. (This is a Saturday, you'd think he'd be contactable, but no) Dealer tells me, go grab lunch by the time you come back we'll have this all straightened out. I look at wife, shes' like sure, we head to lunch.

Have lunch, call from restaurant ask dealer, has he heard anything. He replies no, and says will call me later in day. Ok, no prob I say, talk to you later.

Fast forward four hours, dealer is going to close at 5pm, about 4:45pm I call and ask has he heard anything, he says no, and that he'll call me tomorrow. OK, no prob I say, talk to you later.

Sunday- I call dealer right before closing time again, ask if he's heard anything. He says yes, he talked to FFL guy, and that FFL guy doesn't know if it's legal and is going to look into it. HE says he'll call me tomorrow. OK, no prob I say, talk to you later.

Monday-Dealer calls, gun is legal, come pay for it, they'll transfer it to FFL in MD, then I go pick up. I say great, I'll be up after work.

I walk in Monday evening, fucking dude asks me if he can help me with anything. I give him a confused look, let him know who I am and why I was there. He gives me the "ohhh thats right", I shrug it off and we move on. I ask when I should expect FFL guy to call me to pick up, given shipping time, 7day wait etc. Guy looks at me and says "Whats your rush" .... Now at this point my blood pressure is starting to rise ever so slightly, I respond with, no rush at all, just curious.

I pay for gun, Dealer tells me I should be able to pick up thursday. I thank him for his time, and help. I leave.

Fast forward to last night. FFL guy calls me, lets me know he hasn't picked gun up, because he has a detached retina. I let him know I was sorry to hear. FFL guy says he called my dealer, let him know situation and gave name of another FFL guy in MD to transfer it to. OK, no prob I say, hope all goes well with surgery and that I'll be in touch for some upgrades in future.

I call dealer this morning... I give him my name.. He doesn't know who I am.. I let him know history, he gives me the "ooohhhh that's' right" again. I ask if he's talked to FFL guy... He says no. My blood pressure returns to its previous slightly elevated state. I give him story of FFL guys retina. Dealer tells me they already shipped gun to him. I tell him, No, you still have it. He says hold on, let me check... Comes back 10 min later with yup, we still got it. I give him name, hm phn, cell phn, work phn and addy of new FFL guy to transfer to. He tells me he can't find guys FFL license in system.

Pause. Now at this point, I feel I've been accomadating, done all the leg work, followed all laws, regulations, state and federal. I am becoming quite irritated.

Resume.. Dealer says ok, let me talk to new FFL guy and Owner of the gun shop. I say Ok, no prob, talk to you later.

Right now, Im waiting to hear....

Finally hear back four days later, go pick up gun, no waiting period (besides the 2 weeks clusterf@ck) and Saiga is safely at home.

How f@cking hard is it to buy a goddamn gun in the United States of America!!!! I can go right now and buy all the fucking AK-47s or AR-15s I want illegally, all day long, but no Im trying to buy a shotgun the legal way. Is it an ordinary shotgun, no, but its a 12gauge, semi-auto shotgun none the less. I'm really trying to remain calm, because its a rare item, I'm getting a great price and chances are I won't be able to find the gun locally again.

Writing this post and taking deep breaths has calmed me down, but its just fucking annoying. I could have bought a fucking Rocket, Flash bomb grenades and a goddamn gatlin gun at the gun show with no hassle!

Sometimes being a straight shooter (no pun intended) and following the letter of the law is a pain in the ass!

Thanks for your time.

Kinda sounds like the "Clusterfuck Circus" of trying to buy a firearm in NJ too. :lol:

The freaking state doesn't even have to discourage you, just dealing with the asshat FFL holders and gunshop owners is sometimes enough. :rolleyes:

Now, if you were to owe one of them some money though....:cryss:

Kinda sounds like the "Clusterfuck Circus" of trying to buy a firearm in NJ too. :lol:

The freaking state doesn't even have to discourage you, just dealing with the asshat FFL holders and gunshop owners is sometimes enough. :rolleyes:

Now, if you were to owe one of them some money though....:cryss:

I take it you've shopped at Ray's or The Bullet Hole.

Writing this post and taking deep breaths has calmed me down, but its just fucking annoying. Pain in the ass!

Chris,

Welcome to the forum. But you know what would have really calmed you down? Blowing through a couple hundred rounds through the new S-12!

I live in NJ and another forum member (thanx again Micah!) posted last year that a store out in the West coast had the S-12s in stock. Within an hour I had located an FFL close to my house (police officer no less) and ordered the shotgun. I had it in my grubby hands 4 days later.

The only thing better than a mag dump at the range is the look on the faces of the other shooters on the line.

Priceless.