lower handguard

I have been searching the forums for pictures of converted Saigas with the Bolt-on lower handguard retainer sold by Dinzag. All of the pics I have found either show the original HG or they have a pressed on retainer. I would like to know how my rifle would look with the bolt-on retainer. The picture on Dinzag's website is a close-up and it's hard to get a good idea of how authentic it looks on the whole rifle.

Does anyone have any pics?

Also, how secure is the bolt-on retainer? I see it has a sling loop. Is it secure enough that routine use of a sling won't cause the retainer to slide around the barrel?

I don't mind the look of the original HG, but I already have a kvar lower HG from another rifle and it seems like it might be easier to install an ultimak gastube (my primary goal) with a standard AK lower HG. I just don't want to do it if it's going to look clunky or if it isn't going to be very secure.

Search through the picture post for the saiga .223s and 7.62x39s there are a few pictures scattered around.

They hold tight enough for the sling to be functional without any problems.

Here is a older pic of louielouie's rifle with the retainer. Not sure if it's dinzag's or one that he made.

post-6703-1234139121.jpg

Here is one that I made.

post-6703-1234139446_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1234139495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Superhawk138

I made this one, it looks rough, but pops right on, I'll clean it up before I stick it on permanently:

Hpim4816.jpgHpim4819.jpg

It is a yugo retainer, I had it machined at work so it would work like a spring clip, then you pop a bolt a bolt through it and its done.

Edited by MD_Willington
  • 2 weeks later...
I made this one, it looks rough, but pops right on, I'll clean it up before I stick it on permanently:

Hpim4816.jpgHpim4819.jpg

It is a yugo retainer, I had it machined at work so it would work like a spring clip, then you pop a bolt a bolt through it and its done.

how much work did that take? Do you have to just remove a bunch of metal to make it flexible, then cut the top off and add a bolt hole? Could one pull off the work with a dremel?

how much work did that take? Do you have to just remove a bunch of metal to make it flexible, then cut the top off and add a bolt hole? Could one pull off the work with a dremel?

My friend ran it through an industrial band saw and I cleaned it up with the files.

It is flexible, it acts like a spring and clamps back on.

I did not add a bolt hole, that is the hole where the cam lock goes when they made them at the factory.

I just picked up my Saiga .223 and I need to get it on there.

There's also Red Jacket's H&K hand guard option:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=30109

I followed Red Jacket's advice, and am happy as can be, no hand guard retainer required...

That's true too.

I always thought the G3 forend shortened up looked good on the .308 Saigas we've seen on here.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14011

That's Dinzags lower handguard retainer. I took it off for the first time over the summer, never had a problem with it moving. PM me if you want more pictures (or in the case of those old ones...just better pics now that I know my camera can do close up shots)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14011

That's Dinzags lower handguard retainer. I took it off for the first time over the summer, never had a problem with it moving. PM me if you want more pictures (or in the case of those old ones...just better pics now that I know my camera can do close up shots)

looks like a great item but at $85, I want to try a little less expensive solution first.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks to inspiration on this thread by MD Willington my pop and I made our own. It turned out great and seems to hold really tight with a modified machine screw notched to go around the barrel. Hopegully it holds up for the long haul.

hg2.JPG

Edited by kevins7189

MD willington, that is an awesome idea. I'm surprised more people haven't done this. A lot of people don't have the ability to weld, but do have the ability to remove metal with a Dremel tool. It seems taht just about anyone could do this given the right part and enough time. Heck, I might just do it myself for my next conversion.

Awesome work.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this approch to a hand guard retainer. This is one of the best simple solutions yet posted. Good Job. I'm going to try it.

I owned an H&K 91 .308 that I bought new in the box for $500 pre-ban. I would say it was mid 80's. The commercial Hand Guard of the H&K 91 and the Saiga HG have a very close look and feel. The best thing they did with the Saiga was to design this hand guard. I can't believe its Ruski! Seams more German. The Saiga hand guard does create a heating issue. I like the MP5 (nice if it could be 922r compliant) forarm. That's an option. Has anyone tried a AR15 new round hand guard on a Saiga? Has anyone seen Photos of it?

The seven 3/8" holes I drilled into the handguard between barrel and gas tube really help a lot. I agree that the handguard is reminiscent of HK G3, FN FAL or CETME. It is VERY comfortable.

MySaigaBaby.jpg

It is tough, too. The bottom one third is molded around steel! I ruined to hack saws trying to bob the nose off my 223 I had. I was originally going to get the bolt on retainer from Brian at Dinzag and go with AK 103 furniture, but decided to keep the factory handguard.

Sorry I should have posted it on my rifle:

The single chunk of rail is keeping it in place until I can get a bolt through it, I'm using the sling loop from the Russian hunting stock, I just need to get to the hardware store to find a bolt and some nuts too keep it together, I should probably paint it bliack too.. LOL

HPIM5050.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

has anyone put on one of the ones that CSS sells? how difficult is the notching of the barrel? i just got mine yesterday, not sure i want to start cutting into the barrel itself to get this thing to bolt on....beginning to think i should have gone w/ the dinzag model.