REFINISHING AGENT????

The moly paints from Brownells are by far the easiest and most durable for 'garage' painting.

If you think you may continue to do mods (which I generally think I might), you may want to consider DupliColor Hi-temp engine semi-gloss black from a discount automotive place.

Degrease first with a Carb Cleaner and second with a Brake Cleaner (since it dries with no residue). Then, gently heat the metal (per other's comments) and paint. You can heat it afterwards once its dry to 'cure' it... or just wait about a week before you add any grease or other solvent type material to the paint. This method is inexpensive, great looking and if you F it up... who gives a shi#!.

i would hazrd a guess at the actual coating the factory puts on the guns is the cheapest thing you can find....aka barbq paint or the like....you need to do about zilch to make it cure properly, and it cures fast....would seem to be a likely candidate for the city of guns where the saigas are made....

Birchwood Casey super black touch up pen,flat black. Perfect match, easy to use. It's just a magic marker full of alumi-hyde. Got mine at sports authority (chain store) for a couple bucks.

G O B

(page 214 of brownells catalog #57)

Edited by G O B

I really like John Norrels moly resin. You need an air brush to apply it and must cure it in an oven but Ive been really impressed the finish and durability. Here are some pics all being flat grayish black color:

223025.JPG

229594.jpg

249432.jpg

The finish closely mimics a parkerized finshed or older colt ar15's grayish finish. They have a variety of different colors to choose from.

johnny?

you mean you cut the upper down on that m17s? and cut the sight handle and made the KKF-style charging handle? wow.

Yes I did. I cut metal for a living in fact. I just happen to like guns also :-D

The charging handle is just a hacked off A2 charging handle.

Okay, you guys refinish to make the gun look nice, right.

Well, my saiga isn't my girlfriend... I didn't get it to show her off round town... I got her for her functions... well, I guess some people keep their girl's around for a similar reason. Will a saiga function any worse without touching the paint up? Mine's scratched up on the inside and out and if it doesn't do anything to the function of the gun, I see no reason to refinish it.

Okay, you guys refinish to make the gun look nice, right.

Well, my saiga isn't my girlfriend... I didn't get it to show her off round town...

I prefer a dull flat black to the glossy reflective black on the saiga. I do take pride in working on my own things and sharing my experiences with others.