Ok,

I need some people with a little more practical math knowledge than myself. Specifically in the Volume of Gas department.

.729" Diameter pipe with gas flowing at approximately 1200FPS will allow 3.4783 Cubic Feet Per second to pass through the hole.

At 1200FPS, dwell time in a 19" Barrel is .001319 seconds for the projectile.

I'm trying to calculate the pressure exerted by the gas, and thereby calculate how much gas really enters the Gas tube through three .072" diameter holes.

One thing we will assume: the 19" barrel is .729" it's entire length, giving it a volume of 7.93 Cubic Inches, or .004589 Cubic Feet.

So, with a time of 1.319e-3 seconds, and three .072" diameter holes, and the Pressure (P) that someone can show me how to calculate, I'd like to determine the precise amount of air pushed into the gas chamber.

I may be missing some information, you guys might be able to help me out.

Thanks~

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrm on second thought, maybe I need to calculate what Force is required to accelerate a 1 1/8oz projectile from 0 to 1200fps in 19", then using that Force, we can determine pressure?

But then how do we go from pressure to volume per time through a certain diameter pipe?

PV=nRT

P=pressure in atmospheres (1 atm =760mm/hg)

V=volume in liters

n=is the moles of your gas (molecules per gram)

R=is the gas constant which is .821

T=is the temp your gas is in kelvin's

Substitute your knowns and use algebra to figure our you unknown. If you have three before and after knowns and need to know what effect a change will have, then use the formula

P1(V1)/n1(T1)=P2(V2)/n2(T2)

I would do it for you, but I am heading into a meeting right now. If what I wrote appears to be written in Chinese, sorry, I'll try to help you out when I get back.

Otherwise I hope this helps.

Ok,

I believe I know the initial numbers

P1 = 1 atm

V1 = .129957 L (Capacity of barrel)

n1 = ?

R= .821

T1= 297.15 (75* F or 24* C)

Using those and PV=nrt we can calculate n as 5.327e-4

So n1 = 5.327e-4

Now let's combine equations?

1 atm (.129957L)/5.327e-4M(297.15K) = P2(.129957L)/n2(T2)

or 6.3175atm/MK = P2/n2(T2)

So now, How do we determine the Temperature of the Burning Smokeless Powder? I searched for it to no avail.

How do we determine the quantity and makeup of gasses released by 3 Drams of Smokeless powder in a Shotgun shell?

Those are the missing components.

Ok,

I believe I know the initial numbers

P1 = 1 atm

V1 = .129957 L (Capacity of barrel)

n1 = ?

R= .821

T1= 297.15 (75* F or 24* C)

Using those and PV=nrt we can calculate n as 5.327e-4

So n1 = 5.327e-4

Now let's combine equations?

1 atm (.129957L)/5.327e-4M(297.15K) = P2(.129957L)/n2(T2)

or 6.3175atm/MK = P2/n2(T2)

So now, How do we determine the Temperature of the Burning Smokeless Powder? I searched for it to no avail.

How do we determine the quantity and makeup of gasses released by 3 Drams of Smokeless powder in a Shotgun shell?

Those are the missing components.

I had a break for a minute. The numbers look good. When I get a chance, I will look around for some pressure/temp gradients for burnt/burning powder.

Chemistry was my Major in college, Minor in Bio.

But pushing myself at 18 credit hrs and 20 credit hrs my last two semesters really wore me thin.

Full time is considered 12 credit hours, and more than 17 per semester isn't allowed.... unless you get the head of your Major department to sign off.... almost wish I had taken that extra half a semester to finish... damn that burnt me out. I could actually use the things I tried to learn in Pchem had I had the time to learn them all better :)

http://admin.pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/ie50257a006

That article was written in 1931 and toward the bottom it has a table that states smokeless powder burns from 2900*C-3500*C (dependant on chemical makeup). I would use 3000*C or 3273 K. Don't forget to do the enthalpy change of the air surrounding the reaction (I think it would be miniscule however). Now that I think of it, what would be the specific heat of air....0 probably, so nevermind.

I don't think the numbers are working.

Can we calculate how much gas would be able to flow through a .144" diameter hole in .001319 seconds with 10,500 PSI (714 atm) of pressure behind it?

I have a degree in mathematics, but it was 27 years ago...

My brain has been in so many other places since then...

However, if I can just clear my mind for a minute and look at this...

All right, look, the initial numbers are what they are, but nowhere in that equation is the variable you are looking for. So solving for these variables won't help.

I don't think the equation is complex enough. You actually have four holes, right (the barrel and three ports).

The pressure will be variable depending on whether the slug is behind or in front of the ports. The gunpowder continues to burn while the slug travels down the barrel, so the temperature and pressure will continuously fluctuate. Neither is a static number, yet you have them as such in the equation.

This equation won't work.

Let me think about this.

I'm watching Larry Kudlow and I need to finish the show, first. LOL

I don't think that's the equation you want.

Edited by Bounce12

We need to spend some time analyzing the stuff that goes in to this.

You say the barrel is a certain length, but as the projectile moves down the barrel, the volume is changing continuously.

Volume one would be the volume as the projectile passes the ports and volume 2 would be as it leaves the barrel, right? (just that short distance)

Therefore, the dwell time is ONLY the time between the projectile passing the ports and leaving the barrel.

The time it takes to get TO the ports is pretty meaningless, right?

There will be SOME amount of cold air being blown in, but it will be lost in the static when the hot gasses enter AFTER the projectile passes the ports.

I'll get back to this in an hour or so.

The other thing is, are you counting high brass magnum shells or low brass skeet stuff.

How do you presume to account for the difference?

As I sit here multi-tasking, it occurred to me that algebra is not going to hack it.

The volume changes over time, the pressure changes over time and the temperature could as well. Those will take integrals (calculus III) to solve.

The time being the time from port passage to barrel evacuation.

I think finding the EXACT answer is quite a bit more complicated.

If close is good enough, pick a pressure and a temp value somewhere in the middle and wag it.

Edited by Bounce12
Don't forget the thickness of the barrel and the angles of the holes.

Yeah, and there is going to be friction from the turbulence swirling in the chamber and back pressure from the spring and other friction in the mechanism as the piston moves back.

If you want a no-shit EXACT answer, it will take quite a bit more effort just to set the variables up.

It's not just a matter of how many molecules pass through three ports in T amount of time at P pressure.

That would be a wild ass guess (wag) answer, but it will be far from exact.

i want a "within +- 10% answer"

All right, let me work on this. I'm going to have to remember how to do fucking integrals again.

Man, that shit leaves your brain if you don't use it.

When do you need the answer by? (please don't say tonight)

How far is it from the ports to the end of the barrel?

Are you shooting high brass or low brass and what temps and pressures do you want to assume?

I think the pressure continues to build as the projectile is in the barrel. I don't even think all the powder burns before the projectile leaves the barrel. So that shit will be increasing the whole way.

The speed of the projectile will be increasing the whole way and so using a constant projectile speed for the distance between the ports and the end of the barrel is not right.

This is a very complicated question.

To figure this we're going to need some more data.

How much powder are you burning (low brass/high brass)?

What rate of burn do you want to assume? This will change depending on the powder makeup, shape and size.

How much remains unburned after the projectile leaves the barrel?

Do you want to assume the powder burns at the same rate for the entire time (an assumption I wouldn't make, but I don't know what else to assume).

What temp do you want to assume the powder burns at?

The complexity of this question continues to grow. You're going to have to take a stab at some "assumptions."

Look Saiganoob, the more I think about this, the more complicated it gets.

You're asking a tough question.

The easiest way is to eliminate most of the variables as inconsequential and do some simple algebra.

I'm not sure how close the answer will be, but you can come up with something in the right solar system.

See if you can determine about what pressure is in a shotgun barrel and see how long it takes the projectile to go 10.5 inches. Use the muzzle velocity - close enough.

That's the time the pressure is going through the ports.

Muzzle velocity assumption is 1325 ft/sec

That equals about 16000 inches per second.

That equals about 0.00066 seconds from the ports to the end of the barrel.

SO, T = 0.00066.

That's a wild ass guess with many erroneous assumtions built in, but it's close enough.

Now, what pressure do you want to assume is behind the projectile during that time?

This guy says the average pressure in a 12-gauge is 11,500 psi.

http://www.randywakeman.com/shotgun_pressures.htm

I have no idea how correct that is.

So, how much volume will go through three ports of the size you describe at 11,500 psi for 0.00066 seconds.

You can do that!

I can't do ALL your homework for you.

that answer will be close enough

When you figure on the projectile moving, you create the variables of the pressure increasing as well as the volume increasing, combine that with the speed of the projectile, the equation is so complicated, you might as well factor in coeffecient of drag, gravity and friction to surface area.

Not implicating I have the answers, but maybe another way to look at this is to solve for what pressure is needed to propel the projectile at your desired speed. Then after you have that, assume the projectile is fixed at the end of the barrel, now your volume is fixed. Plug in that pressure into the equation and solve for........

Hey Noobie, what are we solving for?

LOL wow you all are knocking this shit out!

Assume 10.5" from Gas Port holes to end of muzzle.

Assume 1200 FPS

Assume 10500 PSI

Assume Constant speed (Acceleration is almost instantaneous when you're talking 6/10000ths of a second.

In the time it takes for the projectile to go 10.5" at 1200 FPS, (7.23167e-4 seconds) How much gas will flow through a .144" diameter hole?

I can do the math, i just need to find the equation that uses Pressure, Time, Diameter of hole to solve for Volume.

Edited by SaigaNoobie