Diversifying my investments, what order should I prioritize gun purcha

If you have the money, I think you should buy all of the above! Mosin's are one hunsky, Buy. Ammo is going up, Buy! Saiga's going up, Buy, I cant afford gold but i can buy guns one at a time. Never going to lose value, I hope.

I sat down myself and was thinking the same things, and besides ammo, I went out and bought a XCR, cheaper (and better designed IMO then the FN SCAR) and completely modular. The XCR can change to a different cal in few easy steps, I'm getting the 5.56 and the 6.8 spc kit, then i'm going to order the XCR-M in .308 when its available. XCR will always hold their value, Robinson arms stands by their products. plus its a adjustable gas piston system, even a setting for silencers. My gun is still on order, but the wait isn't nearly as long as other companies

Edited by Vultite

napalm, you're on the right track no matter which road you choose, but there is one thing you need to understand...

These are NOT investments. They're "hedges."

They will retain their value over time in an inflationary environment (as will gold, silver and the like), but if you EVER pull the trigger on ANY of them, they will start COSTING YOU.

Buying things that COST YOU is NOT investing.

Don't play mental games with yourself. I see some people buy guns with the "I'll invest in this" mentality. Then, of course, they say to themselves, "I need to try this out and see how well it works." By the time they put 1000 rounds through it, the gun has to DOUBLE in price for them to simply break even. The problem is that now it's used and it will NEVER double in value. It might double in "price" as inflation goes up, but its real "VALUE" won't change.

That's not investing. Don't tell yourself it is, or your "investments" will eat you alive.

I have certain guns that I own to shoot. The rest are safe queens. Their job is to sit there and do exactly NOTHING other than exist and stay brand new (like a gold bar would do). AND, gold is NOT an investment. It's a hedge against the certain decline in the value of the dollar that's coming. What you are doing is basically freezing the value of today's dollar in the hedge you are buying. As the value of the dollar goes down, the price of the hedge goes up. The "value" of the hedge isn't going up, it's staying the same. It's just the PRICE that's going up. That's what gold does.

Investments are a whole different thing.

Edited by Bounce12

I bought $18,000 worth of guns from November 1987-May 1989 and sold most of them for $52,000,I bought $7,000 worth of guns and mags out of that $52,000 from 1992-1995 and sold those guns and mags for $20,000.

How is that not an investment?

I put $30,000 into Fidelity Investments Discipline Equity and made $7500,I wish I had spent all of my $385,000 inheritance and $130,000 of college money and the $400,000 I have spent on various wheeled toys over the last 23 years into guns,mags and ammo.

I would be a multi millionaire today

If I had to suggest a firearms related investment I would save up a lot of money and buy a shipping container full of ammunition and reloading components.

I was buying steel core Chinese 7.62x39 for .06 per round in 1990.Can you imagine sitting on a few million rounds of that today?Can you imagine sitting on a few million rounds of that when the price of surplus ammo hits $1-$3 per round?

One day you will look back on today's market and either laugh or cry when you compare it what is available at that time.

In the Palestinian Authority in 2006 even 12yr old children had AK47s but ammo was nowhere to be found and when Fatah and Hamas started fighting the street price of a single round of 7.62x39 skyrocketed to $25 per round and that is in a place where the average income is less than $5000 per year!

Be "that guy" that that has a pallet of ammo tucked away.Be "that guy" who bought cases of ammo instead of a new plasma tv.If the economy recovers the ammo will NEVER get any cheaper and if the USA falls flat on it's face and it's currency goes "Peso" you will still be able to trade a single round of ammo for a dozen eggs of a side of venison when money becomes worthless and ammo becomes scarce and people need to to feed and/or defend themselves.

I think it's a dandy investment and I'll bet the ammo in your closet has increased in value more than your 401K as of 2009 hasn't it?

I bought $18,000 worth of guns from November 1987-May 1989 and sold most of them for $52,000,I bought $7,000 worth of guns and mags out of that $52,000 from 1992-1995 and sold those guns and mags for $20,000.

It depends on how you did your accounting.

How many times did you pull the trigger on these guns? What did you spend in the mean time on them?

How much in tax did you pay on your gains?

How much did you spend in reloading equipment, supplies and ammo you shot in the mean time?

You're offering some numbers, but I doubt that these nums would stand up to a real double-entry book-keeping audit.

If you put 1000 rounds through an average gun, you have to get DOUBLE what you paid for it (after inflation, taxes on the gain, and opportunity loss on whatever else you could have done with the money) just to break even. AND THAT, is a shit-load.

It doesn't sound to me like you are considering ANY of the other numbers in ANY of your calculations.

In short, you didn't do any real book keeping. Basically, your numbers don't mean shit.

I think it's a dandy investment and I'll bet the ammo in your closet has increased in value more than your 401K as of 2009 hasn't it?

If you knew anything about investing, YOU WOULD BE a multi-millionaire today. But you're not, are you? What YOU THINK is a dandy investment doesn't count for much when you don't do any accounting and aren't a multi-millionaire. Why should anyone listen to you?

Edited by Bounce12

It depends on how you did your accounting.

How many times did you pull the trigger on these guns? What did you spend in the mean time on them?

How much in tax did you pay on your gains?

How much did you spend in reloading equipment, supplies and ammo you shot in the mean time?

You're offering some numbers, but I doubt that these nums would stand up to a real double-entry book-keeping audit.

If you put 1000 rounds through an average gun, you have to get DOUBLE what you paid for it (after inflation, taxes on the gain, and opportunity loss on whatever else you could have done with the money) just to break even. AND THAT, is a shit-load.

It doesn't sound to me like you are considering ANY of the other numbers in ANY of your calculations.

In short, you didn't do any real book keeping. Basically, your numbers don't mean shit.

If you knew anything about investing, YOU WOULD BE a multi-millionaire today. But you're not, are you? What YOU THINK is a dandy investment doesn't count for much when you don't do any accounting and aren't a multi-millionaire. Why should anyone listen to you?

If I knew anything about investing I'd be broke as fuck like most of the "investor class" is today but instead I have doubled my net worth while the "Investor Class" are looking longingly at what I have(paid for house and cars,productive garden,safe full of guns and krugerands and a cute wife that didn't marry me for money,LOL)

I may be the equivelent of a multi millionaire very shortly if I have done my figuring right and the only mistake I ever made with my investments is paying people who think the way you do to administer my money.Everything I chose to spend money on has experienced a 100-1300% gain while the citigroup stock I ditched to buy this house I live in just dropped below $1 per share,hehehehehe

If he listens to me he'll thrive or at the very worst break even,if he listens to people like you he'll end up broke in a pay by the week motel like all of those stock brokers in NYC,LOL

If he listens to me he'll thrive or at the very worst break even,if he listens to people like you he'll end up broke in a pay by the week motel like all of those stock brokers in NYC,LOL

I'm going to leave that one on the table as the final word on the subject.

Always look for quality when purchasing any firearms. The Mosin Nagant should be on your list. Look for firearms that can be used for defense and putting food on the table. Whatever plan you go with, investment or collecting buy from a private seller. Make sure you leave no paper trail or as little as possible.

I strongly disagree with sopmod.

Inflation over the last two years has not doubled the cost of things today (maybe 20% increase actually and according to CIP, it is only 8%), yet cheapy 9mm ammo 100 round packs at Wally World have gone from $12.99 to $23.99 in that time (price just went up this week!). Yet the cost of materials has dropped (copper and lead).

Wolf .223 ammo has gone from $2.49/20 in 2005 to $7.99 and up when you can find it! 300% increases in less than 4 years is better than the 2.3% savings account you can get at BOFA!

If any "ban" comes into effect, similar to the 1986 ban, the 1989 ban and the 1994 ban, the rifle you buy for $1000 doubles in very short time.

A full auto AR15 in 1986 could have been had for less than $1000. Today that is worth over $15,000.

If you invest in the stock market (which supposedly has an historical average of 12-13% annual increase), you would have to have the same investment in for 6-7 years to double its value.

Supply and demand creates investment opportunities on any commodity. Whether you invest in guns or oil, when the supply is high and price is low - buy! When supply is low and demand is high - sell!

If you don't believe me, check out DPMS LR308 rifles on GunBroker! They all list for under $1300, yet are selling for $1500+! If you buy one at dealers cost (about $800), that is $700 profit. How is that not an investment?

Napalm, my opinion on it right now is to order from a dealer and wait on "assault" style weapons from dealers that aren't gouging (it may take 6-12 months). In the meantime, stock up on ammo. If the SHTF, then ammo will be a trading commodity if in a desirable caliber when greenbacks will not be worth the paper it is printed on.

If you shoot recreationally, then you cannot look at ammo and fuel expenses to the range as part of an investment. That is "entertainment" money!

Most of us newbies are probably in the same boat as I am. I only have a few weapons, and am just starting with stocking up ammo. At first I thought "good investment" but the stuff I acquire I am doing so not with the thought of selling it down the road. I just look at it as something that will always have value. If the time comes where it's ever "needed" I'd rather have it in my possession than worry about finding it. It's hard on a budget to really look at this as an investment. More of a hobby. Definitely entertainment money. Since November the usual entertainment just hasn't interested me anymore. And I've got rid of a few things I never used/didn't need. PS3, etc.. And don't waste money on pointless junk like I used to. It's just sad it took a Marxist being elected President for me to finally start to open my eyes.

If I had the money, would now be a good time to buy a ton of weapons and ammo to sell if a ban comes into effect? Sure that'd be a good investment, IF a ban comes. If it doesn't, hard to imagine recovering your money anytime soon.

Now is not the time to be investing in potential ban weapons. Especially if you are buying the weapon because Obama is going to take it, and you haven't even cared about the gun before talk of a ban. I'm going to go out on a limb and say here that a ban should not be happening in the next two years. My reasoning... democrats have a good thing going right now. I don't think they want to mess that up. The fastest way to fill the house and senate with republicans is to reinstate a gun ban. Pelosi who is known as one of the bigger gun grabbers said she would not suport a gun ban. So I'd say wait on investing in some ban list guns. I think we'll see the prices bottom out on ban list guns when the ban doesn't happen.