HK front on a Saiga??

I've seen some pics of the HK site on Saiga's/AK's. How do these fit? What do you have to do to install one? Will they align with the rear sites, or do you have to alter them also? Anyway, what are the particulars? I know they would shorten up your site radius, but I think they look pretty good. Thanks. Greg

Edited by coyotewillie

Im going to tag along on this thread with a related question - if you dont mind ;-)

Has anyone bought the complete HK triple frame front sight and then cut off the top ring themselves to weld onto a Saiga?

Im no wleder so Im curious whether its practical to pick one of those up and have a welder do the job

Thoughts are appreciated .......actual experience is most valued :)

Cheers

HarvKY

Hope this helps,...

I bought Front and rear complete HK sites on gun broker for $75.

I welded them both on.

Somewhere along the way,.,... Tony pointed out that if you intend to use the supplied base on a rifle with the rear site, the front one will require shortened, and to make sure and use a bore sighter to help keep them aligned during installation.

I decided to weld the front site first on my 7.62 x 39 after removing about half of the material from the bottom of the sight to the little alignment hole, about 1/16" off the inside curved part with a 1" wide delta belt sander, and reduced the "Legs" some so the welds and all would allow the installation of the factory foregrip without mods. I also had to bend the legs in a little on each side by putting in a vice and lightly hammering. All in all the front seemed pretty forgiving.

I lined it all up right on the money with the laser boresighter ($40 Bushnell) and then lightly tac welded the front on, I didn't check the alignment and the heavier welding pulled the site to one side. I had to remove with a die grinder, re-align and re-weld., (at which point I was completely re-assured that it was indeed,... really welded on, it was a bitch to remove).

then Marked the back, clamped it and welded it. A little grinding, sanding and paint and it looked factory. I re-assembled and checked alignment with the boresighter and adjusted the side to side with the screw on the back site. Shoots like a charm.

Haven't been able to check the rotating sight apetures for accuracy at longer ranges, But #2 works well from 50 - 100 yards.

The "needle" in the middle of the front sight can be slightly bent left or right, and could be shortened, but the ideal is that it is right in the middle of the front ring for fast target aquisition

For the back, I drilled 2 holes through the top of the dust cover and plug welded from underneath.

I used a lincoln electric 110 volt mig welder with flux core mild steel mig wire.

I have seen some of the tig work in pics here on this site of Tony's welding and it is really nice. much nicer than mine, but with some careful grinding, filing and sanding It came out nice. I also welded the trigger gaurd on and filled the holes on the bottom of the receiver, for conversion, if you decide to do this, remember to smooth out those welds under the trigger guard before welding on the trigger guard.

Setting #1 on the HK site is kinda weird, I am not sure I understand it.

• 2 weeks later...
GG: How do you like the using the HK's compared to the original sites? With the laser boresighter, what distance did you use to align the sights? Since you used it with a 7.62, would you use the same w/.223? Thanks. Greg

Hey mods - this would be a good sticky tutorial - "How to put an HK sight on an AK....."

I just did a pair and had to wade through a bunch os searches to get it done. (take a look at my posts of it. Good advice can be found on this site but the search feature lacks.

Take a look at my .223 and S-12 posts. RTG parts has complete front and rear HK G-3 sets for $56.

I buy the triple frames and mod them myself. I also buy the rears. I get them from a couple places, but it comes out much cheaper than buying them already done, especially since I have to install them and get a little markup on them.

I weld them. I saw a guy at a 3-gun comp with a soldered or expoxied on one, and it came off right away. One of the first ones I welded came off when I dressed the weld a little too far.

I'm not sure if Tony runs into this or not, but often there is just enough distortion after welding that the gas plug won't quite thread in. I have to run a tap in and clean it up a little. Could be my welder, as it's a scratch arc. I'm fixing to get a pedal control machine, and will be able to use much less heat to get the same results.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Setting #1 on the HK site is kinda weird, I am not sure I understand it.

The numbers represent 100, 200, 300, and 400 meters. Setting one is open like that for faster target aquisition in ranges of 100 meters or less. That's what I was taught when stationed in Germany when I was invited to shoot with one of their Battalions.

About the farthest I could spot to, with my welder in one hand was about 30 yards, the laser bore sighter was good for about 50 - 60 yards to double check. Same for s-12 and would be the same process for .223

My problem with the factory sights ,... in less than perfect conditions, i was always fumbling around trying to see that little notch in the rear sight, with HKs, you can just about put the front ring on target as you are bringing up to a firing position and bring the rear around quickly, I like this. as far as accuracy goes, I think the HKs are harder to use for tight groupings, but are better for quick center mass aquisition

I welded the back site on by drilling 2 small holes into the dust cover and used a MIG to plug weld from underneath, worked great, almost no finishing required, just light sanding. the tough part is getting the front sight on and centered, when you are test fitting and looking down the top of the barrel you may notice the gas block is left or right or less than perfect alignment of the barrel or gas block with the receiver, I would guess a rubber mallet may help here, but I never. I suppose if drilled a hole in each leg of the front you could plug weld it into place and finishing would be a snap!

GG: How do you like the using the HK's compared to the original sites? With the laser boresighter, what distance did you use to align the sights? Since you used it with a 7.62, would you use the same w/.223? Thanks. Greg
  • 3 weeks later...

Dumb question here about the front sight install as I don't want mine jacked up.

I see some on this forum grind their factory front sight down to match the gas block and read how doing that creates a hole for gas to escape.

Or spotted this one where either the HK sight was cut out around it, or just that portion of the sight was left on the gas block.

What's the best way?