Why MEC reloaders aren't popular here?

My old mec jr has been in use since 1978 and it was used when I got it............kinda slow by todays turret models...............but it's fine for a hundred rounds of speciality ammo.........buckshot and such. I now have 4 of the ol girls........and an ol Lyman turret press.....with a bunch of the small dia. dies..................LOL.........of course I don't use the Herters to do much roll crimps on paper shells anymore...................oh hell. now you made me feel old,.........bet most of these guys never even shot papershell shotgun ammo, let alone reload it.................... :unsure:

My younger brother has a MEC reloader he got for about 100.00, its from the 80s maybe. Came with 8lbs of powder in a sealed keg, 4000 primers, 6 five gallon buckets of once fired AA hulls and about 100lbs of shot.

I think I reloaded 800 rounds on it or so.

Not a bad tool at all... Just not anything that I can find a ton to talk about... I pull a handle and in makes ammo for me.

I love my Mec 700 (I think it was just before the Jr), it does everything I need. It's old and has a little surface rust but still works great.

Tom I got a bunch of waxed paper hulls from my Dad to reload. Lookin forward to it. Weird thing happened though last weekend at a shoot. Someone brought and gave me some old paper shells with a (dark blue with a "2" on the side and very high brass. I loaded up a clear AGP mag and when I charged the weapon I got a jam like I've never seen before with any S-12. The shell rim actually got wedged in between the sides of the trunnion and had to be pried out with a screwdriver. WTF? I had to double check to make sure it wasn't 10 ga. I'll try to remember to post some pics later.

Lol.....................ahh man you really shouldn't shoot them old collectable nuumber 2 goose loads............ther're bringin a couple bucks a piece at the shows........bet they had recoil.........but , I would be interested to know if the shells are just a little shorter than the modern 2 3/4 inch shells..........the old roll crimp makes a difference..........

I love my Mec 700 (I think it was just before the Jr), it does everything I need. It's old and has a little surface rust but still works great.

Tom I got a bunch of waxed paper hulls from my Dad to reload. Lookin forward to it. Weird thing happened though last weekend at a shoot. Someone brought and gave me some old paper shells with a (dark blue with a "2" on the side and very high brass. I loaded up a clear AGP mag and when I charged the weapon I got a jam like I've never seen before with any S-12. The shell rim actually got wedged in between the sides of the trunnion and had to be pried out with a screwdriver. WTF? I had to double check to make sure it wasn't 10 ga. I'll try to remember to post some pics later.

MEC's what I got. I went with the Supersizer (?) model, as it has a sizing station. I bought it for reloading for the Saiga, a magazine fed shotgun. I figured sizing could be important for a Saiga. I've had some freak ovular hulls from getting stepped on or whatnot that I loaded back up to round. Who knows if it was money well spent though.

On Ebay, there about 2 used MECs auctioned per day with a lot of bidding up to 50 percent of new cost. I need both rifle and shot reloaders. I hoped shot demand wasn't as fierce as rifle, but a day on Ebay taught me otherwise.

I'm glad everyone above is fond of their MEC!!

I might eventually enjoy one too.

Edited by Obamanation

I have a nice collection of old paper shells and loose my mind when people shoot the vintage stuff! By Wallyworld and reload that! They look nice on a shell and are never to be made again. Yes you can get a couple bucks per shell, and maybe more on specialty stuff, like the 3 4gauge shells I have from Britain. Monsters! Oh the old shells can also absorb moisture and swell, so that may have been your jamming problem.

Wow, as much old stuff as I collect I guess I should have realized those were antiques and not even tried to shoot them. Luckily that first one jammed so I just put them all away and still have them. Thanks for the info.

Do people collect the empty paper hulls too? I was thinking of reloading those to save.

Yeah I got a half a dozen boxes of 20 gauge paper hulls for dove and duck hunting.. Never even though of shooting them. Still in their very 50s looking boxes up on a shelve.

I was tempted with the 1 1/4 ounce 20 gauge load.. I wanted to use them hunting, but I made due with 7/8 ounce loads :angry2:

I've shot paper shells. Had some 9mm rimfire shotshells for an old Winchester 34 I got. Got some new Federal paper shells, they were still loading them about 2 yrs ago. Cowboy shooters use them.

I got a MEC JR., works great, I don't know how many people have owned it. Don't use it too much anymore since I haven't shot cowboy in a couple years now. It's in 10ga. I used to load 10 ga. blackpowder shells for an 1887 Winchester lever action shotgun I used for CAS. It was made in 1892.

I loaded 1 3/8 oz. of shot over 95-100 gr. of 2f powder. Them plates was goin' down !!!!!