Good Fixed stocks for S12

I just got my other S12 back from my gunsmith and I had him put on a NATO length K-var buttstock on it. Well, I don't like it much. It's a little small and thin and I'm looking for something beefier in the same style. I was thinking of the TAPCO AK original style buttstock. It looks thicker and wider which is what I'm looking for. Could any of you guys that have this buttstock give me a little info on how you like it? Or any other buttstocks that you like. No folders please as I already have an S12 with a folder and I don't want another. I'd appreciate it. Thanks

People are gonna flip crap on this...

But there were some norinco/polytech thumbhole stocks imported many moons ago that were actually extremely comfortable. Like, really comfortable.

Model number was the NHM-90. Has to be the NHM 90; all the other chicom thumbholes blew. Seriously.

But that stock came with a very serious recoil pad, a very good cheek weld and the pistol grip section was actually designed for a real person to hold, not the incredible hulk or little miss muffet.

Should be able to find nhm-90 stocks all over the place. I know numrich had a bunch awhile back.

I'm being completely serious here- those are the only thumbholes I have EVER kept on a rifle not because I legally had to but because they genuinely worked really well.

They make the RAA skeleton stock and the AK dragunov stocks we see all the time on WASR's feel like 2x4's.

If it has to be tacticool you could always sand and paint it.

I don't see what disadvantages such a stock would give you except for a smaller e-peen when it comes to forum commandos but who cares...it works.

As an alternative you COULD go for a clubfoot RPK stock. Those can also be found and are much beefier than the standard AKM stock. If you can get a laminate RPK clubfoot stock you will have something that you can probably beat someone with and run over and it won't break.

Some outfit was making PKM style stocks that fit stamped ak's awhile back but IIRC they were just as thin as the AKM stocks.

Hate to burst your bubble, but if you want a beefy stock you won't get it with the standard Tapco. Just got my CGW S12 conversion this week, and though I love it, the Tapco stock is slender and I find it too short as well. I'm not someone with long arms either, but I'm gonna have to get a slip on recoil pad or something to put a bit of length on this stock until I decide what to do about it. I think the Tapco is Warsaw length, but not 100% sure...

• 2 weeks later...

tsm002, do you have to modify the gun to take it or is it a simple bolt on like the raa dragunov style?

Also I am fairly new to the 'evil gun' world, and want to know if a thumbhole dragunov style stock would cause legal problems in Washington state... as far as I can tell I am fine to just switch stocks and play. It would be nice to know if that is not the case.

Edited by GunFun

I ended up going the cheap route and just put a slip on recoil pad on it. It's a lot easier than getting a new stock. I have a Tromix folder stock on my other S12 and I really like it. It's wide and very comfy. I recommend paying the extra bucks for it.