• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that the top rail is mounted to the bottom rail via screws. They kinda clamshell together. I'm figuring that the bottom rail mounts to the stock mounts for the handguard. The price for this thing is irresistable at $100. For that you're getting a quad rail that mounts easily on the S12. I was looking to put an Ultimak or Cobra rail on the gas block but would have to grind, drill and tap before being able to mount. This quad rail looks like its an easy way to avoid all that. I wonder what will happen to prices on all the competing rails. Of course, quality may be an issue and in this business, you often do get what you pay for. I'll see soon when I receive mine.

They kinda clamshell together. Of course, quality may be an issue and in this business, you often do get what you pay for. I'll see soon when I receive mine.

Exactly how i feel. curious to get a report from yuh when you get your hands on one Frustrated.

Anyone have the new leapers rail installed or have ordered one for their s12? If so pics? and how is the top affixed? is it easily removed or no?

I have some on order. They are telling me 2 weeks for the shotgun. If it is similar to the setup for the rifle, it will be really nice. I have a few of the rifles ones left.

Greg

David's Collectables already has it on their site. I think its pre-order with delivery on or after the 2nd week of April. I placed my order there because I didn't want to get SOL on the first batch because these things will go fast at that price.

Here's the link: http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mount.html

David's Collectables already has it on their site. I think its pre-order with delivery on or after the 2nd week of April. ...

It should be available from the Saiga Store soon!

If Greg had a link to pre-order it on his site, I would have placed it in a hearbeat. However, he didn't because he wants to make sure that he will have them for sale rather than have the potential to have to cancel peoples pre-orders. I respect that. But things go fast on his site just like the Tromix DIY trigger guards. At this price, I really want to try this rail and I want it just in time for my conversion.

Will this count as one foreign part (forearm/hand guard) or do you count each piece that composes it? I read somewhere that it will count as 3 parts! If that is true I don't know if it's worth it.

It counts as 0 parts since it is not US made. If it was US made, it would only count as 1 part.

Will this count as one foreign part (forearm/hand guard) or do you count each piece that composes it? I read somewhere that it will count as 3 parts! If that is true I don't know if it's worth it.

It counts as 0 parts since it is not US made. If it was US made, it would only count as 1 part.

Countable parts are foreign parts, not US parts. You don't count US parts. You count foreign parts (from the 922r list) against the maximum of ten that you are allowed to have on a non-importable firearm. Leaper's is foreign made so it counts as one foreign part (handguard).

Countable parts are foreign parts, not US parts. You don't count US parts. You count foreign parts (from the 922r list) against the maximum of ten that you are allowed to have on a non-importable firearm. Leaper's is foreign made so it counts as one foreign part (handguard).

Huh. Countable parts are countable parts no matter what country they come from.

The question was whether it counted as 1 or 3 parts. I threw in the part about not being US made because it sounded like he thought he was going to reduce his number of foreign parts by using one. I for one, always count the imported parts, (after all that is the way the law is written) but it seem that most folks rather count the US made parts instead.

Countable or not, it shouldn't matter after I convert the gun since I'll be replacing many parts with U.S. made parts which will reduce the foreign parts count. However, if unconverted, for those who don't, its a cloudy issue. So long as you use a mag no larger than 5rnds then 922r shouldn't come to play because it is still in "sporting" configuration. However, once that 10 or 12rnd mag goes in,... then it is considered unsporting and 922r applies.

One question though, does adding a quad rail make a gun "unsporting"? If an unconverted gun with a sporter stock is tact'd out with rails and optics, is it still in "sporting" configuration?

I was counting toward the 10 or less foreign parts, hence the "Will this count as one foreign part (forearm/hand guard) or do you count each piece that composes it?" I just read a post somewhere that a guy said it counted as three "foreign" parts because it is three pieces. It sounded like bs and I just wanted to see what yah'll thought. I figured hand guard was legally one part no matter how many pieces it was made of.

As for the quad rail making it a non-sporting weapon, that is a good question. Is it just the pistol grip that makes it an assault variant? These gun laws are ridiculous! :ded:

It appears that the top rail is mounted to the bottom rail via screws. They kinda clamshell together. I'm figuring that the bottom rail mounts to the stock mounts for the handguard. The price for this thing is irresistable at $100. For that you're getting a quad rail that mounts easily on the S12. I was looking to put an Ultimak or Cobra rail on the gas block but would have to grind, drill and tap before being able to mount. This quad rail looks like its an easy way to avoid all that. I wonder what will happen to prices on all the competing rails. Of course, quality may be an issue and in this business, you often do get what you pay for. I'll see soon when I receive mine.

It looks very tempting, but what about weight. Does anyone know what it is made out of? You tend to get what you pay for.

It looks very tempting, but what about weight. Does anyone know what it is made out of? You tend to get what you pay for.

Disregard my last post, these things are made from aircraft aluminum.

Gregg. Let us know when you get them in.

They are made in China that is why they are cheap. The UTG side mount I have is actually machined pretty well and is finished nicely. It's too bad a US manufacturer cannot put out something affordable like this.

Yes it is too bad that the US-made quad rails are so much more expensive.. as I'd definitely buy from a US manufacturer instead if their rails didn't cost ~3x as much.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

The US made rails are CNC machined from billet aluminum and will stand up to a lifetime of abuse. The Imported ones are crap, cast from from pot metal. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

The US made rails are CNC machined from billet aluminum and will stand up to a lifetime of abuse. The Imported ones are crap, cast from from pot metal. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

As much as I am sure the US rails are higher quality. The leapers one is machined out of aircraft aluminum. At least that's what the ad says

Good point... though no one knows if the Leapers rail is quality or not, since no one has one. The fact is that if you purchase a rail from one of the vendors who support our forums, you will get an excellent product which have people who will stand behind their products. You will also be supporting companies which are run by Citizens of your country and products created by craftsmen in your country. I could find no information about the country of origin for the Leapers rail, I read several reports that it is made in China; I sent them an email to verify. If it is made in China, remember, by purchasing it you are in a sense supporting a communist country. If supporting communism is okay with you, then spend your $99 bucks on a product which probably costs 99¢ to manufacture.

When/if Leapers responds back to my email about the country of origin, I'll post it.

Edited by vbrtrmn
Its china. And I'm not worried about $100 when our supreme chancellor just borrowed hundreds of billions from them on my behalf

Good to know your personal ethics are in line with the current administration.

If it's made using the same standard Chinese metal as their other clone rails and not hardened, after you tighten a screw once too many times, it WILL break, crack or cross-thread.

I'd rather wait for a comparable US Made one.

IF they harden it after machining, it should last a long time of wear and tear.

I've used the UTG cheapo-railed handguards on my AR a few years back and it was actually very good quality hardened aluminum. Not pot metal like at all.

From the source, they are PRC rails.

Hello, Paul,

Thank you for writing to us. We appreciate your interest in our product.

The quad rail mount system you mentioned, MNT-HGSG12, is made from TAIWAN. The product is designed in the U.S. but manufactured overseas. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you!

Best regards,

James Huang

E-MAIL: Jhuang@leapers.com

Leapers,Inc.

32700 Capitol Street

Livonia,MI 48150

T: 734-542-1500 x 226

F: 734-542-7095

www.leapers.com

Edited by vbrtrmn