When I got back from SC the other day, I logged into my bank account, just to check up on my out-of-town CC transactions.

There was a hold for $600+ on my account, from overstock.com. So I call them, give them my CC info, and tell them that was NOT me. They said a guy named "Clifford" in Tennessee charged a damn diamond watch on my card!!!!!!!! Luckily, the order was still "pending" anyway, and my card hadn't actually been charged. So they credited the money back.

I call my bank today, to shut my card down, and they tell me that someone (I'm assuming the same guy) tried to Western Union $500+ from my account!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily that was just plain denied anyway. Something about my bank not allowing more than $500 for that that type of transaction.

So just a reminder.................keep up on your stuff, fellas. These dirtbags are EVERYWHERE!!!

I got ripped when they stole my account number off a business check, had check printed in a fictitious name and made a driver license to match the name on the check. The retailer just checks to see if "X" account has funds to cover "Y" amount. Presto chango, I got a headache and years later it still comes up occasionally with a credit service that hasn't udated their records. Real pain to deal with the results of dishonest, lazy people.

When I got back from SC the other day, I logged into my bank account, just to check up on my out-of-town CC transactions.

There was a hold for $600+ on my account, from overstock.com. So I call them, give them my CC info, and tell them that was NOT me. They said a guy named "Clifford" in Tennessee charged a damn diamond watch on my card!!!!!!!! Luckily, the order was still "pending" anyway, and my card hadn't actually been charged. So they credited the money back.

I call my bank today, to shut my card down, and they tell me that someone (I'm assuming the same guy) tried to Western Union $500+ from my account!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily that was just plain denied anyway. Something about my bank not allowing more than $500 for that that type of transaction.

So just a reminder.................keep up on your stuff, fellas. These dirtbags are EVERYWHERE!!!

A close friend of mine got ripped when he purchased some T-shirts in SC a couple of months ago. :dollar:

This stuff sucks. Credit cards are safer than debit cards. Well maybe...I was double billed a while back and my bank told me if I used my debit card then it is like handing out a blank check. You had better trust who you are dealing with. At least with credit cards there is a window of oppourtunity to report and insurance should cover your losses.

Edited by t165

The bank told me if I switch to direct deposit at work, I can get a different type of checking account, where there's no fees for it. The way I have it right now, I have to keep $1K minimum in my checking, or pay a monthly fee of $8. So I've always made sure I had more than $1K in mine.

But if I switch it, there will be no fees/no minimum balance. I can keep my checking account completely empty, and transfer money from savings into it, for when I need to use it, from my computer. At least that way, no one would be able to charge anything to it, because there wouldn't be any money in it. And I could opt not to have an overdraft "backup".

It just really pisses me off that I bust my ass for my money, and some dirtbag tries to buy a diamond watch with MY money :angry2: .

My girlfriend's friend was over for dinner last night, and she's from a big Italian family. I said "If your fam has any connections to the mob, I'll pay good money for a hitman to go to Tennesee and do work." :lol:

Glad to hear you caught the guy before you lost any money. Any idea how the scumbag got your number?

Acer

No idea. My first thought, was that it's funny this happened right after using my card down in SC. But for all I know, someone has had my info for awhile, and just decided to use it now.

This stuff sucks. Credit cards are safer than debit cards. Well maybe...I was double billed a while back and my bank told me if I used my debit card then it is like handing out a blank check. You had better trust who you are dealing with. At least with credit cards there is a window of oppourtunity to report and insurance should cover your losses.

I don't have any credit cards at the moment. So I've been using my debit card for all credit transactions. I need to get a regular CC anyway. Gotta start building my credit score up.

I had this same shit happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I got a call from the credit union talking about suspicious activity on my card. Apparently some had charged up $700 in the period of of an hour. The first charge was an online dating service, $50, which was basically a feeler, because it was refunded. Then there were 3 charges of $232.80, with a $1 charge after each one. These were from a company called Cricket communication. I've never heard of them, but I got online and searched, got some numbers, and tried to call them. I'm pretty sure they are basically a fence, because the first number listed was totally automated, and if you needed to talk to an actual person, you had to call another number, which also was totally automated, and sent you back to the original number if you needed to talk to an actual person.

I tried calling all the licensed distributors, but none of them would answer the phone. I think the deal is, you can buy a prepaid phone card on a a credit card, and for a $1 fee and probably a percentage of the cost, you can get it turned back into cash. Totally fucked up.

This is pretty much guaranteed to happen to anyone who does business on the internet.

Discover offers a "One Time Use Number", which is a number which they generate on the fly, so you can use essentially a new credit card number, every time you make a purchase. Unfortunately many companies don't take Discover card. Not sure if other companies do this or not.

http://www.discovercard.com/customer-servi...reate-soan.html

Watch for the next trick that the bank got over on me. They stop the charges and kill the card to protect ME. When they re-issue a new card it can come with a new rate. I had a card that was 5% and some change, the new one was 16% and I was told that it would be treated as a new customer account and that if my payments were on time, in a year there was a CHANCE that the rate would be reduced.

The bitch is, as far as I know it could have been the bank scamming the whole time. BOA

This is pretty much guaranteed to happen to anyone who does business on the internet.

Discover offers a "One Time Use Number", which is a number which they generate on the fly, so you can use essentially a new credit card number, every time you make a purchase. Unfortunately many companies don't take Discover card. Not sure if other companies do this or not.

http://www.discovercard.com/customer-servi...reate-soan.html

I was just thinking of that same idea the other day. Having an account that could spit out a new CC# for every transaction. That would be great.

Watch for the next trick that the bank got over on me. They stop the charges and kill the card to protect ME. When they re-issue a new card it can come with a new rate. I had a card that was 5% and some change, the new one was 16% and I was told that it would be treated as a new customer account and that if my payments were on time, in a year there was a CHANCE that the rate would be reduced.

The bitch is, as far as I know it could have been the bank scamming the whole time. BOA

It was a debit card, not an actual credit card. So no % fees for me, with this card. But that sounds like some BS what they did to you, though.