Saiga Skeleton Stock - anyone like it?

I started noticing these on different Saiga sites - anyone have one and like it?

Link here to Black One...

Link here to Gray One...

The factory stock works for me, but after shooting several times I'm feeling that I'd like one that is maybe 3" shorter where I could also mount a cheek rest on it. This appears to be a bit shorter than the factory stock.

Tapco has the T6 adjustible stock that does not require the FCG moving forward, but I have to admit to having some mixed feelings about it. I have mild concerns that the recoil will eventually cause problems with an adjustible stock. A lot of you have these, how are they working for you? Tapco Collapsible Stock Here...

Edited by EricinMaryland

If you want one I am selling mine it is brand new but mounted but never shot. It is at Cadiz Gun Works at the moment for conversion but I should be getting it back in June if you want to wait. I will have no use for it so I will sell it for cheap, $45 shipped.

I like it but the pistol grip is a bit on the short side. I have big hands and it just fits me. If you have huge hands you may be uncomfortable. It is a really solid piece though and it feels a lot nicer than the factory stock.

So, it feels better and is more solid than factory? Does it weigh less?

If you don't mind, would you please comment on length versus factory? I have very average hands - medium gloves, etc. so that the grip might not be a problem.

When you shoot does the recoil hit you harder with the thinner (looks thinner) butt?

Also, it looks like you can adjust the length a bit... true?

How about the cheek pad... is it functional or would you (were you keeping it) need to replace it with a different one?

Thanks, Eric

If you don't mind, would you please comment on length versus factory? I have very average hands - medium gloves, etc. so that the grip might not be a problem.

When you shoot does the recoil hit you harder with the thinner (looks thinner) butt?

How about the cheek pad... is it functional or would you (were you keeping it) need to replace it with a different one?

Thanks, Eric

I think the length of pull is shorter than the factory monte carlo stock. It's about the same as a regular AK overall and is not adjustable in length.

It's actually an SVD stock modified for the Saiga series and it's about the best all around stock the Russians make IMO. It's designed to reduce recoil somewhat on an SVD compared to the regular laminate stock the SVD originally came with and in my experience it does actually reduce the felt recoil somewhat. Can't say if it will matter on an S12 though considering the recoil is way higher than a 7.62x54R round.

The cheekpad is great, it's nice and sturdy and rotates downward for cleaning or shooting with irons. As someone else said if you aren't going to convert it's the only way to go. Definately has a better grip and feel than the standard factory stock.

Saiga12%20007.jpg

Z

Thanks, Eric

I believe it is a bit shorter but heavier than the factory stock. The extra weight reduces recoil a bit. It is not adjustable but I see someone is modifying them to make them adjustable for only $200, funny. The cheek pad is nice and solid and rotates up at an angle (for the soviet side mounted scopes, but can work on a regularly mounted scope) or down out of the way. Like others have said it is one of the higher quality stocks made by the russians.

i use to have the skeleton stock it was alright but now i have an original saiga factory steel folding stock/pistol grip combo one of the rare ones :killer: if you havent seen one theres one installed on a saiga on gunbroker this is how it looks

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129647685

i'm prob gunna sell it on ebay or gunbroker the last one i saw sold for 290 of course im not listing it that high i might part with it for a decent price

You asked about the fit.. I hope the pics make it easier to tell. I am about average size. I am trying to show that shouldering the stock makes a bit of a cramped hold, but not too bad. Sorry for the picture quality and lack of a good model at 3 am. I had the same questions a few weeks ago, so it would have been nice to see upfront what I was getting into. In a couple of the pictures the stock is laying on top of the gun with the montecarlo. It is positioned right where it would sit installed. That should give you a comparison of fit. Note that the skeleton butt plate is about a .75" higher than the lowest point on the butt plate of the montecarlo.

I just got one and it is about an inch and a half shorter than the "hunting butt" style overall. I normally find stocks to be longer than I care for, but this feels a bit short. If you measure from where the receiver ends on your stock, the RAA skeleton is 11 3/4" inches to the middle of the butt. That's about an inch and a half shorter than the factory montecarlo style stock. The grip is kind of short vertically, and farther behind the trigger than I would prefer, which means more where other people usually like it. (I have girly little hands, sadly.) The butt plate is metal and is 1.5" wide by 5.5" tall and has the same radius on both ends, so you could flip it and it would still fit back on the stock. This is kind of an odd shape to find matching pads for.

I plan to add some recoil pad to make up the difference, but it is bigger than any of the grind to fit models that kick eez offers, and I haven't found a solution I like enough to spend money on. In the meantime I have cut up a mouse pad that is 1/5" thick to experiment with fit. I think I like it best with 6 or seven slices, but that puts the cheek pad forward of my cheek when I mount the stock. I still like this better than the factory stock. If anyone has recommendations, or a source for inch thick chunks of sorbothane or similar, I would love to know.

Before I get the thing installed, I am going to bore it out for this.

It should just fit with a little bit of reaming in the top tube.

If that looks cool to you, then I would recommend you get one pre-done from cobra76 though. The total cost will be pretty close, and he will have done the work.

Also that RAA folder looks like exactly what I really wanted. simple-ugly-not all 'tactical' looking, but functional. I wish I could have that.

You may find it simpler and more comfortable to use the tapco stock, and usually cheaper. I was just resistant to that for some reason. Everything has an AR stock on it now, and it would feel like using an airsoft gun to me or the tippmann 98 I got for my dad. It's too trendy and doesn't really match the style of the gun unless you change everything else. The skeleton stock is pretty solid, but if you want a good fit, 6 positions beats one, and you can get your choice of recoil pads for a standard CAR type stock. Also the grip placement on the tapco looks more comfortable. So tough call. This is the only way to stay "sporting" if you want a pistol like grip. Also RAA now offers an adjustable length of pul model if you check their site. It costs a bit more, but you might be happier with it if you want to keep your gun sporting.

good luck.

post-17871-1242900092_thumb.jpg

post-17871-1242900114_thumb.jpg

post-17871-1242900163_thumb.jpg

post-17871-1242900177_thumb.jpg

post-17871-1242901369_thumb.jpg

post-17871-1242901393_thumb.jpg

Edited by GunFun
I started noticing these on different Saiga sites - anyone have one and like it?

Link here to Black One...

Link here to Gray One...

The factory stock works for me, but after shooting several times I'm feeling that I'd like one that is maybe 3" shorter where I could also mount a cheek rest on it. This appears to be a bit shorter than the factory stock.

Tapco has the T6 adjustible stock that does not require the FCG moving forward, but I have to admit to having some mixed feelings about it. I have mild concerns that the recoil will eventually cause problems with an adjustible stock. A lot of you have these, how are they working for you? Tapco Collapsible Stock Here...

BTW I think both of those are black, the "gray" one is just a pic with more glare.

"...so it would have been nice to see upfront what I was getting into."

Gunfun, thanks! The pics help a lot. You put some effort into this and I really appreciate it. It seems like none of the stock stuff comes with dimensions and when you're looking at a picture, it's kind of like, "Okay, that might work - wonder how big it is and how much it weighs."

I plan on dealing with recoil by getting a wearable shoulder pad at some point. Obviously, the Russians deal with it just fine - maybe someday we start seeing Spetnaz recoil reducers for this stuff on the market. I guess I always figured that body armor would do a good job helping with recoil too.

"...so it would have been nice to see upfront what I was getting into."

Gunfun, thanks! The pics help a lot. You put some effort into this and I really appreciate it. It seems like none of the stock stuff comes with dimensions and when you're looking at a picture, it's kind of like, "Okay, that might work - wonder how big it is and how much it weighs."

I plan on dealing with recoil by getting a wearable shoulder pad at some point. Obviously, the Russians deal with it just fine - maybe someday we start seeing Spetnaz recoil reducers for this stuff on the market. I guess I always figured that body armor would do a good job helping with recoil too.

Why are you worried about recoil? The Saiga 12 is one of the softer kicking 12 gauges out there.

I started out with the skeleton stock, and if you do not intend to convert your shotty, it is a nice stock. The cheek pad is a nice touch. I had mine, but then got the conversion bug and ended up selling it and converting it.

Voshi--While I agree that the recoil for a 12 is not that bad, why can't it be better. The less recoil, the more comfort, the more control, the quicker you are onto the next target. plus when I start making my own loads, I can practice with heavy loads and not regret it.

I kind of want 2 of these now: a plain looking "sleeper" (to borrow a sports car term) and a crazy competition gun. For now, I am keeping towards the cheaper sleeper, and the other gun? probably never, unless my financial cicrumstances take a radical and unexpected turn while I am still single.

I don't see much chance of either my cashlessness or chicklessness changing soon though, and shotgun shells seem to help the keep cashflow flowing outward.

also I noticed ATI makes a $12 rubber 1" thick pad for their stocks that looks to be a similar shape. Does anyone have one to comment on comfort and dimensions?

I had about 1 - 2 ft clustering at 75 yards, but with each shot - maybe in anticipation of recoil - I found my aim drifting to the right. Someone at the range suggested it was trigger pull. I'd like to be able to eliminate noise, learn it, and then master it.

I'm sure with time I'll get a nice shoulder callus.

I live in Connecticut, so a conversion was not an option (a pistol grip turns the Saiga into an EVIL assault weapon), I installed one of these stocks as the next best thing and like it. As I am a fairly oversized individual (6'6") I ground the base of the stock flat, then added a 1" spacer from Brownell's and installed a Limb Saver recoil pad on top of that (also from Brownell's). Since I am a lefty, I also dumped the cheek piece.

The sights line up to my eye nicely and the Limb Saver pad makes even slugs pleasant to shoot. As I was grinding the recoil pad to fit I got down to the metal reinforcing plate inside the pad so it shows through. I hit it with some cold blue and it doesn't bother me, but FYI if you go this route.

As far as the cheek pad, I also shoot lefty, and simply took my dremmel and put another notch for the pad dimple to lock into where I wanted it, so it locked in place where I needed it for comfort and function. When I sold it, the cheek pad would work for a lefty or right handed shooter.

Waltham, I was planing to do that too. Quite a lot of my friends are lefty, and I want the gun to be fun for them too.

I suppose I should learn to shoot both ways, but I am way to bad at left handed long arm shooting.

I would love to purchase one of these used @ reduced price. Anyone still got their's? I am ready now or can wait a couple months.

I'll sell mine..... I bought it new but never installed it. I'm left handed and the cheek piece does not lock in place for lefties..... I didn't wanna Bubba up the stock by trying to dremmel another notch in it, so it is just sitting on the shelf unused..... you would have to drill the holes in it as it has never been installed on a gun

Actually I was careful and took my time, my notch looked exactly like the other notches, no bubba involved Flash. Just one more position for the cheek pad to lock in.

Once you get the pad so a lefty can use it, it is a great stock if you are not going to convert your shotty or do not plan on doing it any time soon.

Actually I was careful and took my time, my notch looked exactly like the other notches, no bubba involved Flash. Just one more position for the cheek pad to lock in.

Once you get the pad so a lefty can use it, it is a great stock if you are not going to convert your shotty or do not plan on doing it any time soon.

you might be better with tools than me..... I was afraid of screwing up the stock, so I've decided to just sell it.

just use a dremmel burr and go slow and steady, or use a small chisel and go slow by pushing it back and forth with your hand, or a course rasp. relax, it is just plastic. if you don't get in a hurry and support your working hand, you won't mess things up.