Today marks the one year mark for the Heller Decision!

How will you Celebrate!!!???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

I'm gonna get drunk and prolly work on bikes...

I'm planning to go shooting sunday, i guess i'll be a little late.(i'm really hoping my x39 will be done this weekend, waiting on a friend with a paint gun to lay down some duracoat)

Before you go celebrating, keep in mind that Dick Heller, the only man the supreme court has said by name has a right to bear arms under the 2nd amendment, specifically considering in its decision the gun that he wished to be allowed to keep an assembled 1911 .45, is now only permited to keep a .22lr revolver, as DC (directly contrary to the SCOTUS decision) finds that he has no right to keep a semiauto in his home, as DC considers it a machinegun.

We still have a long way to go, both in DC and in the States.

Before you go celebrating, keep in mind that Dick Heller, the only man the supreme court has said by name has a right to bear arms under the 2nd amendment, specifically considering in its decision the gun that he wished to be allowed to keep an assembled 1911 .45, is now only permited to keep a .22lr revolver, as DC (directly contrary to the SCOTUS decision) finds that he has no right to keep a semiauto in his home, as DC considers it a machinegun.

Well, The Boston Tea Party may not have won our independence... but it was a step in the right direction...

As was the Heller Decision... 'scuse me while I celebrate the small victories along the way....

They may be the only ones I see in MY lifetime......

F*ckin' Eeyore....

eeyore12.jpg

Exactly, Nearly 70 lawsuits in the last year have referenced the Heller decision....to SUPPORT gun control measures.

From the article linked:

"The D.C. government has indicated it will continue to utilize zoning ordinances to prevent firearms dealers from operating and selling to citizens residing in the district, meaning it will remain almost impossible to buy a gun legally.[82] The D.C. government has also announced that it will continue to enforce a separate ban on magazine fed semi-automatic rifles and semi-automatic handguns not considered in the Heller case.[83]"

Definately. Im as happy as anyone that SCOTUS affirmed what we all knew, that the 2nd applies to individuals, but it hardly was a decisive victory, and the war aint done. When you look at from the point of view of the actual suit filed by Heller, seeking the right to have a ready gun in his home, he really didnt win shit, other than his name on a nice piece of paper, and still is as defenseless as ever. Heller was probably the most important case heard by scotus in most of our lifetimes, but it will be how it is handled as precedent, in the future, that will decide if that import has any real effect on securing our god given liberties, or the opposite. You do have to remember also, that even if SCOTUS came right out and said that the 2nd secures your right to carry machineguns everywhere you go, the 2nd amendment is not yet held to be incorporated against the states, and in the end, might mean nothing, as every area in the country OTHER than DC would be free to ban guns. There are two cases that might be coming up that might change that, Maloney and Nordyke. This should be an interesting session, to say the least, the Montana law goes into effect the same time the court convenes, i dont think that is a coincidence.

Go ahead and celebrate, but dont forget theres alot of work to be done, and to paraphrase some movie i cant remember the name of:

"Celebrate and relax all you want, but know that your enemy is not"

Why not take today to donate a couple bucks to the second amendment foundation, or to write a few letters to your state legislators? Mentioning the anniversary of heller today seems like a pretty good way to point out that you expect your state critter to protect those individual rights scotus did find.

Definately. Im as happy as anyone that SCOTUS affirmed what we all knew, that the 2nd applies to individuals, but it hardly was a decisive victory, and the war aint done. When you look at from the point of view of the actual suit filed by Heller, seeking the right to have a ready gun in his home, he really didnt win shit, other than his name on a nice piece of paper, and still is as defenseless as ever. Heller was probably the most important case heard by scotus in most of our lifetimes, but it will be how it is handled as precedent, in the future, that will decide if that import has any real effect on securing our god given liberties, or the opposite. You do have to remember also, that even if SCOTUS came right out and said that the 2nd secures your right to carry machineguns everywhere you go, the 2nd amendment is not yet held to be incorporated against the states, and in the end, might mean nothing, as every area in the country OTHER than DC would be free to ban guns. There are two cases that might be coming up that might change that, Maloney and Nordyke. This should be an interesting session, to say the least, the Montana law goes into effect the same time the court convenes, i dont think that is a coincidence.

Go ahead and celebrate, but dont forget theres alot of work to be done, and to paraphrase some movie i cant remember the name of:

"Celebrate and relax all you want, but know that your enemy is not"

Why not take today to donate a couple bucks to the second amendment foundation, or to write a few letters to your state legislators? Mentioning the anniversary of heller today seems like a pretty good way to point out that you expect your state critter to protect those individual rights scotus did find.

Vikings used to celebrated victory by wiping the blood from their blade on the way to the next village....

Who the hell said anything about relaxing?..... It's about momentum....

Again, the tea party did not cause people to pause and stop fighting now, did it?

Or was it a rally cry.... Perhaps by celebrating we can relight the fire....

You have a very "soft" mindset if you think folks are throwing in the towel by celebrating Heller........

3 beers for Heller!

Heller update, in an attempt to neuter Heller 2, D.C. now allows any gun on the acceptable to own list of California, Massachusetts or Maryland.

Not sure exactly how they will interpret that, but probably anything not a pistol version of an AK or AR, and a 20rd mag limit.

Hope they louse that one too, as since it references the laws of other States if it is ruled illegal it should make the referenced State restrictions illegal ( we all know they are BS, but they get away with it until a Court cries Bullshit on them.)