Inserting magazines

I had a 7.62 x 39 Saiga a couple of days and looked it over. It ws a whole lot easier to put in a magazine and get it to lock in than that of the .223. At the time, it was kind of my deciding factor to get 7.62x39 over the .223, but after got home, and looking at the variety of places and ammo, I went back and traded for the .223, even up.

Shot an intruder last night. Wife woke me up in the early morning hours and "he" was trying to get into her computer room on the screen.

"He" was a raccoon. :haha:

Grabbed the Saiga, although there are plenty of pistols I could have used, but thought that if the bugger headed out in the open field next to us the .223 has better accuracy at range than my Taurus .45 ACP. Found him up a tree and promplty shot him OUT of the tree.

Now, noticed several things about this encounter. 1) Took me a little bit to load the SureFire magazine. I fumbled with it a bit to get the magainze in there to catch. It is a real bugger I think. In a battlefield situation, I'd take the Mini-14 ability to load magazines anyday to this. Even the 7.62 x 39 magazine would load faster. What am I doing wrong? Is there some tolernace issues I am not aware of?

2.) Need a see through scope mount. I was close enough to the racoon that I saw his glowing eyes, but not clear, but figured he was in the needed sight area and pulled the trigger. Must have worked well. :smoke:

3.) Light mounted on the left side rail, or on the hand grip rail. There is nothing like trying to shoot a pest in a tree, and hold a flashlight in your left hand and get all lined up and keep the light on what you are doing. Pistol would have been ok. I can hold the light in one hand, and shoot with the other just fine. Many years of shooting at night back in Nebraska when in Law Enforcemnt training, etc honed that skill.

Main thing, though, on this thread is the ability to load a magazine quickly and without any fanfare. One should be able to load in total darkness, quickly every time.

Practice is what the competition guys say makes them faster.

I know some guys that shoot with me still fumble with my 12 gauge mags, then I come over and smack em in on a closed bolt just to annoy them. ;)

Joe hit it,practice helps a lot.

Other than that,some guns had problems with the surefires being a little snug.You just need to find where its holding up and put a file to it.Once its fitted,like the OEM mags too,it'll fly right in there.

Is it the rock-n-lock motion that's getting you all fumbled up? The straight insert on the mini-14 is easier but as others have pointed it's not something a little practice won't overcome. Pay attention to where you are grabbing the mag to give your hand enough leverage to lock the tab and keep it there until the rest of the magazine clicks in. Some people are fine holding the middle of the mag (depending on the mag capacity) and others prefer to hold it closer to the feed lips. Personally, holding the ak mag around the middle doesn't give me enough fine control in directing it to the tab so I hold it a little closer to the feed lips. On the standard Saiga .308 mag I just hold it with my palm on the bottom, insert at an angle, and rock it in there.

Also I should point out that I don't have a 7.62x39 Saiga but have used the select-fire AK's. I'm assuming there isn't much difference as far as mag inserts go. I also don't have any Surefire mags but the advice on filing any sticking spots sounds like a good idea as long as you don't remove too much.

Now, noticed several things about this encounter. 1) Took me a little bit to load the SureFire magazine. I fumbled with it a bit to get the magainze in there to catch. It is a real bugger I think. In a battlefield situation, I'd take the Mini-14 ability to load magazines anyday to this. Even the 7.62 x 39 magazine would load faster. What am I doing wrong? Is there some tolernace issues I am not aware of?

2.) Need a see through scope mount. I was close enough to the racoon that I saw his glowing eyes, but not clear, but figured he was in the needed sight area and pulled the trigger. Must have worked well. :smoke:

3.) Light mounted on the left side rail, or on the hand grip rail. There is nothing like trying to shoot a pest in a tree, and hold a flashlight in your left hand and get all lined up and keep the light on what you are doing. Pistol would have been ok. I can hold the light in one hand, and shoot with the other just fine. Many years of shooting at night back in Nebraska when in Law Enforcemnt training, etc honed that skill.

Main thing, though, on this thread is the ability to load a magazine quickly and without any fanfare. One should be able to load in total darkness, quickly every time.

Just my thoughts (which are worth what you paid for them):

1) I've never owned a Surefire mag, but my Izzy Galil Orlites seem to lock up pretty easy. If you're thinking that a 7.62x39 might be better, please remember this - 7.62 mags will lock up in a .223 Saiga (I leave a 7.62 mag, loaded with 7.62 ammo, in my .223 for security purposes). Think a 7.62 will be better? Dream on.

2) 'See-thru' mounts suck. Just spend the $50 or so & get (at a bare minimum) a quality (US-made) front night sight. (I'm in the process of doing that myself.)

3) Flashlight mount is good (especially in rural situations, in my experience). Still working on that one myself. Thinking about a Soviet mil-spec red dot in the side rail, and a visible light of some sort mounted under the barrel. Experienced input would be appreciated.

As noted above, these comments are worth everything you paid for them, YMMV, etc.

;>)

Sounds like you have a tight mag-slot gun.

You say you fondled a 7.62 and it was easier to load than your .223. There is no reason why the 7.62 should be easier to load. You should be able to file the mag, or the latch & opening of the gun to make it fit as easy as the 7.62.

Why fight it? get the AR mag adapter MSA has out. Plenty of cheap high cap mags, and simple insertion. Problem solved!

The Adapter does make the Saiga a most capable fighting weapon, considerably more efficient than with the rock 'n' lock AK type mag. I still occasionally fumble a mag change on on my x39's :unsure:

Problem is fixed. Solution was at this thread http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry320329

Once I took off a lot of that Interdection tab that is put there to prevent using military magazines, all went well. Now all 3 of my magazines lock firmly into place and function very well. I did not go so far taking down that tab as did Nalioth, but I have much better clearance now and the lock hold the magazine in place very well. Should be required mods to all new Saiags just to make them work a whole lot easier. Really, it is now a difference of night and day. I can pick up the Pro Mag or Shure-ire or the original and quickly, and without fumbling insert it to the locked position.

Last night replaced the forearm with the Tapco Intrafuse stock with 3 rails. NOW I am compliant. 30 rd Sure fire (3 parts) plus forearm (1 part).

Magazine issue is over. That tab made all the differnce in the world. Easy, easy feeding of magainze now, even blindfolded, in a cave at midnight, with mittens!! :haha:

Edited by Darth AkSarBen