I am looking to get the KA Puck before my next trip to the range. I do not get to make it out as much as I would like, but the last, and first, trip with the Saiga I had multiple FTE. The bolt was actually crushing the hulls into the bolt. And, the other reason is to bring my parts count down to ten for my Surfire mags until I can afford to convert.

So, is there any reason I should not get the plug? Should I just use my 5 rounders until I can convert?

Thanks

I don't know if this qualifies as a negative per se, or just one (my) instance.

Use care when removing the tappet when heavily fouled, that is to say, "When it requires being forcibly tapped/knocked out with a rod from the receiver's end.

If care is not taken, it has been my experience, that the sharp leading edge of the tappet may in some way damage, bite into, or otherwise adversely contact the threads of the gas block.

Do Not let it come Out at a Angle.

Let it stew in a good solvent till it moves on its own if possible.

This said, I still have KA's tappet in my S12. ;)

I was thinking of buying one of these from tac47 since they saved me some money the other day. What's the advantages? Harder steel? Less porous? Lighter?

I think the idea is supposed to be the same as a hemi engine where there is more surface area for the gas pressure to push against but i'd like confirmation.

Even if it doesn't do jack i'm sure it's a good USA part for compliance.

Is that what it's all about? More surface area for the gas to push against? I really have no idea what makes it work "better" than the standard flat ended puck.

I've had no problems with my KA pucks but I haven't seen any huge increase in cycling speed/power.

Thoughts?

The KA puck I saw had and indented bowl, that raised up in the middle. I was under the impression that the indention kind of funneled the carbon or what ever away from the edge puck.

On the flat front, the carbon distributes evenly across the face of the puck, which lets it build up on the edges, which clogs it up in the tube. This is just my understanding.

Here's the description from KA's website:

New from KA is this 922r-compliant replacement tappet for Saiga shotguns. This unit is

improved over the factory part in its anti-fouling design which is less prone to obstruction and

goes more rounds between cleaning (designed to run up to 1000-2000+rds without cleaning).

This part also increases the initial volume of the gas cylinder, improving cycling (especially

with low brass shotshells). Precision machined from a solid piece of pre-hardened 440C stainless

steel, the KA-SG01 greatly improves the performance of the Saiga shotgun. This part will also fit

the newer Saiga-20 shotgun

IMG_74.jpg

Edited by elvis christ
Whatever happened with those threads on you gun?
I used a couple of the tricks suggested in that thread, I managed to get it to where I can manipulate it by hand all the way in/out... Though the last three turns take some effort. Edited by ChileRelleno
Crap, I forgot to call today. Guess I have to wait till monday, probably closed on friday..

I wish we were closed today. Hell, seems we pretty much live here lately with the 15-16hr workdays.

Reading a post about deforming tappets, is there an issue with the gasfixer plug and your tappet?

Crap, I forgot to call today. Guess I have to wait till monday, probably closed on friday..

I wish we were closed today. Hell, seems we pretty much live here lately with the 15-16hr workdays.

Reading a post about deforming tappets, is there an issue with the gasfixer plug and your tappet?

Haven't seen any problems, even though they weren't designed with them in mind. We don't recommend using them in conjunction with the KA-SG01 because the plug doesn't have a center contact button like the OE part does. Basically, our tappet has an edge along the perimeter and the GF plug is chamfered at the edge so there really isn't much contact surface when the tappet runs forward. IF GF would put a center contact button on the plug then I'd give it my whole-hearted endorsement but right now I'd have to just say use the combo at your own risk. We have only had two tappets ever have any problems, the one that got a little mushroomed on the end (we still have no idea what happened to this one, there is hammer/punch marks all over the face of it) and one that got a small chip on the forward edge of the tappet (was just a cosmetic issue, but we swapped it out anyways). Considering the number of tappets out there, to only have two get replaced should give you an idea of the durability of these things.

Wow, those are long days, I wish I would have known earlier. Oh well, talk to you monday!

Haven't seen any problems, even though they weren't designed with them in mind. We don't recommend using them in conjunction with the KA-SG01 because the plug doesn't have a center contact button like the OE part does. Basically, our tappet has an edge along the perimeter and the GF plug is chamfered at the edge so there really isn't much contact surface when the tappet runs forward. IF GF would put a center contact button on the plug then I'd give it my whole-hearted endorsement but right now I'd have to just say use the combo at your own risk. We have only had two tappets ever have any problems, the one that got a little mushroomed on the end (we still have no idea what happened to this one, there is hammer/punch marks all over the face of it) and one that got a small chip on the forward edge of the tappet (was just a cosmetic issue, but we swapped it out anyways). Considering the number of tappets out there, to only have two get replaced should give you an idea of the durability of these things.

I use the KA puck with the gunfixer plug with no issues. I have fired well over 1000 rds. That KA Puck is pretty strong.