Why Should I Buy a Saiga

I am very close to buying my first AK Rifle and its down to a few choices

Bull pup

WASR 10

Saiga

Why should I buy a Saiga?

[/quot

Saiga it's almost a ak you can make it what you want I have 3 of them and love-em shoots everytime dirty or not very reliable

just my 2cts

The bullpups have crappy trigger pulls and you're messing with the inherent reliability of the system by adding a stupid cable to the old trigger.

WASR-10s are alright, but they can have problems, plus they are Romanian...

The Saiga can be customized and is Russian-made and generally is of better quality than the WASR-10s.

Are the compliance parts the same for a Saiga?

For instance, if I want to replace the trigger group do I order the same trigger group sold for a stamp AK or do I have to order one made specially for a Saiga?

Standard AK parts are used in converting your Saiga. If you want the Bolt Hold Open feature you will have to file a bit off the side of the hammer. For compliance a USA made FCG, stock and pistol grip will let you use foreign made magazines.

The bullpups have crappy trigger pulls and you're messing with the inherent reliability of the system by adding a stupid cable to the old trigger.

WASR-10s are alright, but they can have problems, plus they are Romanian...

The Saiga can be customized and is Russian-made and generally is of better quality than the WASR-10s.

Bullpups don't have a crappy trigger pull, that's a myth/misconception propagated by people who have never fired a bullpup; yes some of them have crappy trigger pulls, but that could be said about ANY firearm.

There were some Century WASR-10 rifles which had issues, but many of the ones you can get now are fine.

Boba Debt, what should really look at is all the available options and decide what is best for your budget/lifestyle. If you're a do-it-yourself kind of guy and want to spend time customizing your gun to your shooting style, the Saiga is probably right for you. If you're more of a buy it and fire it guy who just wants something that works and doesn't want to modify it, get a standard AK. I wouldn't recommend getting a bullpup as your first AK, it is more of a specialty weapon, find someone who has one and will let you fire theirs, then decide on it.

Check out the selection of our sponsor, Peach State Guns, they have some nice ones in stock! My buddy just got the AMD-63 from them and loves it.

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/category.sc?categoryId=70

The more I read, the less I want to buy one of these.

By the time I do all the mods I will have over $700 into a Saiga.

I could buy a good AK for that price.

I can't seem to see any advantage to buying one of these.

Is the do-it-yourself appeal that makes it attractive to most people that own them?

Edited by Boba Debt

Is the do-it-yourself appeal that makes it attractive to most people that own them?

I don't want to do it myself, but I do want a quality, Russian-made AK.

You don't understand.

Any "good AK" you buy for $700 will be substandard to the Saiga you put 'over $700 into".

Guaranteed.

Any "good AK" you buy for $700 will be substandard to the Saiga you put 'over $700 into".

I'm trying to figure out how he comes up with $700. There are new 7.62x39 models on Gunbroker for $335; and, according to the figures quoted on the other thread, basic conversion parts will be around $110, unless perhaps he wants a better stock, but even then it's hard to see how he makes it to $700.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I'm trying to figure out how he comes up with $700. There are new 7.62x39 models on Gunbroker for $335; and, according to the figures quoted on the other thread, basic conversion parts will be around $110, unless perhaps he wants a better stock, but even then it's hard to see how he makes it to $700.

Well, there's always something "gee-whiz" that can be added to any firearm.

One of those fancy cheese-grater hand guards can easily hit $300 . . . .

You are right.

you can spend as much as you want, but for around 500-600 $ you can do a budget conversion and have a bad ass russian ak with an excellent after market trigger and you can have it just the way you want.

I'd put a restored saiga ak up against any 700$ ak any day, and still have some cash left for ammo.

I'm up to $642 not counting shipping and I haven't selected a compensator/suppressor yet.

Plus I don't even know what I have missed.

Saiga Rifle $350.00

ATI Strike Force Package $79.99

Tapco Trigger Group $32.99

Tapco Piston $15.00

Bullet Guide $26.00

Bolt On Hand Guard Retainer $85.00

Gas Tube $33.00

30 Round Magazine $20.00

Well, there's always something "gee-whiz" that can be added to any firearm.

One of those fancy cheese-grater hand guards can easily hit $300 . . . .

Edited by Boba Debt
I'm up to $642 not counting shipping and I haven't selected a compensator/suppressor yet.

Plus I don't even know what I have missed.

I wasn't questioning that one could put $700 into a rifle, but in the context of this thread it's how much to get a Saiga converted to a standard AK vs. the price of a "good AK". A compensator is something extra, and magazines have to be bought for every rifle.

The only part listed below that I could find on that site was the bullet guide.

I cliked on the 7.62 link and it didn;t have any of those peices listed.

AK Pistol Grip $14

AK Stock $33

AK FCG $34

Dinzag Bullet Guide $26

$107

All prices from Dinzagarms.com

You don't need the handguard. The point of the conversion is to bring back the balance and performance of a traditional AK. If the look of an AK handguard is what you want then you need the hand guard retainer. So for a budget conversion its more like the above post.

rifle $350

strikeforce stock $56

tapco trigger $30

pistol grip $14

bullet guide $26

gas piston (may need one for compliance) $15

2 x 30 round ak mags $30

ak grip nut/bushing $7

retianer plate. $11

shipping/misc $30

$569

Most prices from carolina shooters.

Edited by kope007
The only part listed below that I could find on that site was the bullet guide.

I cliked on the 7.62 link and it didn;t have any of those peices listed.

Look under 'Furniture' and 'Conversion Parts'.

More modern methods of manufacture?

Chrome lined hammer forged barrels?

Hardened rivets?

Greater accuracy?

Made at Izhmash in Russia where REAL Kalshnikovs come from?

My $339 Saiga is a better rifle than my $1300+ Arsenal Krinkov?

Can't make a proper "Right Turn" around a corner with a bulpup?

Satisfaction of restoring it to it's original intended form after removing all of the sporting crap they put on it to get it imported?

Hugo Chavez paid Billions to be able to build up Izhmash Kalashnikovs in his home country and all it will cost your is about $500-$600?

I could go on but I don't want to insult your intelligence..

Edited by SOPMOD

the Saiga is a brand new rifle built in the famous Izhmash factory where the original AK was built. the wasr 10's are bottom of the barrel ak's. the Russians are top shelf.

you can have the wasr10 as is or the saiga built how you want for about the same price.

how is this a hard decision?

I own them because that are the best Kalashnikov variant period and I use a Kalashnikov because they are the most robust and reliable gas oprated rifles period.

If a Saiga cost $1500 to purchase and finish I'd still go with the Siaga and I own several other types of rifles including various AKs and they are all inferior in one way or another to the properly finished Saiga.

My Saiga 7.62x39 is my favorite rifle and my "Go To" rifle if things got dangerous.

A Saiga will take the Pepsi Challenge with any AK(or other type of rifle for that matter) and win

Here is mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAreLYHTxo

Here is the thread about my miserable $1300 Arsenal(supposedly the best) Krinkov

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...30&start=30

There is no comparison.The Izhmash is the REAL KALASHNIKOV and since Molot and Tula don't produce guns for our market it is the ONLY KALASHNIKOV

Edited by SOPMOD
A Saiga will take the Pepsi Challenge with any AK(or other type of rifle for that matter) and win

Where do you put the Pepsi in? :haha:

you pour it in the action and down the muzzle?

Saiga Rifle $350.00

ATI Strike Force Package $79.99

Tapco Trigger Group $32.99

Tapco Gas Tube $15.00

Bullet Guide $26.00

Bolt On Hand Guard Retainer $85.00

Gas Tube $33.00

30 Round Magazine $20.00

Why do you have 2 gas tubes listed? (I didn't even know Tapco made a gas tube)

Also, the magazine is not part of a conversion. Like someone else said, you're going to need to get one (or 10) anyway...................and $20 for a combloc steel AK mag is not accurate. They can be had for around $10, all day long.

(BTW: A WASR should not even be in the running, when considering a Saiga vs. another AK.)