Pre-conversion need to knows

other then the # of gas ports (6), and test firring different ammos what else do I need to know or do before conversion?

Take some time and read through the varioius threads here regarding conversion. There is a wealth of good information here, including good info on Section 922, which you will have to conform to if you convert your Saiga.

Don't forget to post pictures when you are finished.

Good luck.

Im wondering, After a basic conversion are you able to install regular AK folding stocks? Or can you use only the ace folders? This is the only thing holding me back from converting. I dont want to upset anyone, but I am not a fan of the external block for ace folders. I would like to have an internal hinge(dont know correct term). Excuse my inexperience please. Will someone help me with the terms so I can describe to my gunsmith exactly what I want.

Im wondering, After a basic conversion are you able to install regular AK folding stocks? Or can you use only the ace folders? This is the only thing holding me back from converting. I dont want to upset anyone, but I am not a fan of the external block for ace folders. I would like to have an internal hinge(dont know correct term). Excuse my inexperience please. Will someone help me with the terms so I can describe to my gunsmith exactly what I want.

Yes.

The Saiga takes just about any stamped receiver AK stock.

Six gas ports and no 922r? looks like we have a couple of guys who need to do a little more homework.

6 ports has got to be wrong!

As for 922R I think cali guy was thinking along the lines that when converted the 3 FCG items and the stock would be U.S. made therefore bringing the count to an easily manageable level. He just worded it all fktup.

You can use an internal receiver adapter. CarolinaShooterSupply sells one that is great. You have to cut the rearward stock mount tang from the rear trunion. A dremel can cut through it. Otherwise you can remove it with a hacksaw or grinder then smooth it with a belt sander. The folding mechanism then attaches to that adapter, still external to the receiver. If you think about it, for a folder to be internal to the receiver the left side of the receiver would have to be cut away so the arm could clear. This is a much better solution to the ace external receiver block though as the only thing hanging out of the receiver is the folder.