My wife and I went to a general sports store over the weekend and were surprised to see a sign stating that, in addition to 22LR ammo, they were now limiting sales of 9MM, all 45, 357, and 40 to 5 boxes, but that for all ammo, they reserved the right at any time to deny purchase to anyone for any reason because of "unprecedented circumstances". Anyone else see stuff like that going on in their states? The FFL/gun shop I use was talking to another customer about ammo last week and observed that it's a shift in people's attitudes. Before ammo was bought for a specific purpose, like range, competition, or hunting. But now, people are seeing all this stuff going on in the economy and politically and suddenly any article about ammo shortages, possible new weapon restrictions, etc. and they go... "Gee, I don't have a lot of money to spend right now, but maybe I should go and buy that case of AMMO TYPE while I'm still able to get it. Better to have it and not need it for a while than to wait to go hunting and not be able to find it at all."

Anyways, I thought I'd toss this up on the boards. x39 ammo is essentially sold out on most online sites I check with Sportsmansguide.com even going so far as to note "Backordered till Feb 2010, depending on availability" for certain types of the larger 154 grain 7.62x39 ammo. It all seems to have happened in the last month too... ever since I bought my first AK. I guess word got out :blues:

I'm debating myself whether to jump on an AK74 or get a AK47 for this very reason. Previously I was leaning towards the 7.62 because of the ease in locating its ammo. I could walk into any Wal Mart and expect to find 7.62, not so much for the 5.45x39. But what good does it do me if the 7.62 is in short supply and being horded? I can still get 1000 round cans of 5.45x39, even if I can't find it in the shops.

Same with mags. The 7.62 are easy to find, you have to hunt for the 5.45x39. But mags are worthless if you have no ammo to go in them....

Plenty of 7.62 out there, I've even seen some vendors dropping prices as many of the hoarders have had their fill.

Now .45 is another story...... as is most other pistol ammo, very much in demand and somewhat scarce.

Now .45 is another story......

Yup, I hear of good deals but they are few and far between.

If your ammo dealer is just putting up restrictions than they must be a little behind. Wally world by me has had those signs up for months, and even the little shops. However, I just got some slugs from Wally world and they had 100 to 150 rounds of 7.62x39. And I heard some one say Bass pro and Cabellas had some too. I prefer online because it is cheaper though.

The small local gun shops in my area buy all the wally ammo and just resell it, marked up. They've restricted the number of boxes you can buy at once, but it hasn't helped, the ammo counter opens at 715 am and they are sold out by 8.

Very annoying.

I was at my local Cabela's (the one in La Vista, Nebraska) yesterday, and they had at least 10,000 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 in their green plastic value cases they sell, 500 rounds each, at $154 per case. I think things are going to start evening out, pricewise. Hoarders aren't the only reason prices spiked and availability tanked. Metals prices were way up for a while, which of course drives up the cost to produce ammo. Metals are cheaper now than they were a year ago, but it looks like the prices are trending upward again. See for yourself:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_h...ical_large.html

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html

I think someone needs to start selling commercial Berdan decapping setups (something better than the hand tool), and importing Berdan primers. I hate leaving nice brass Berdan-primed milsurp casings at the range because I can't reload them. I'd even be happy to prematurely wear my dies reloading steel cases if it meant I could have ammunition instead of going without.