Beware of Kobra sights that take AA batteries

I went to the range yesterday and my Kobra red dot quit working. I changed out the batteries with no luck. I remember reading concerns on this forum that the AA Kobra sight could not withstand the recoil. It appears that is true. I did manage to fire about 1000 rds before the sight quit. I think that I will stick with iron sights for now on.

On a positive note, I tried to shoot winchester universal with a reduced #1 spring from CSS and it worked perfectly. I was not able to shoot universal before adding the drop in spring. The Tromix bolt on handle didn't prevent cycling of any loads. The added mass was of no concequence.

My brother initially tried to shoot reloaded shells through his saiga, but failed. Yesterday he tried the reloads with his new KA puck and it cycled perfectly.

post-17822-1248655904.jpg

Edited by Crusader
  • Like 1

Crusader, thanks for the timely heads-up. I was actually contemplating one of these sights for my new Saiga build. BTW, did you check the condtion of the leads on your batteries. I have heard that heavy recoil can flatten the "+" lead nipple on the AA, AAA, CR123 batteries and cause malfunctions.

Edited by doodi1

The Kobra sights are supposed to have that famed Russian durability, but they really don't. The problem with the ones that use any large battery is that the mass of the battery messes up the contacts under recoil. So it's a bad design.

The coin cell version avoids this problem, but I've seen some of those where the on/off switch has snapped right off, (with no replacement parts available either)

Why not just use a smaller, cheaper and better alternative, like the Burris like vitamink said, or one of the many others?