Finally Dived In And Tore It Apart

Finally got bored and tore down my first x39 down for conversion.

Some of you will be happy that I may finally shut-up about it.

CSS parts do in tommorrow via Priority Mail.

15 Minute MAX to get the FCG out and pins.

post-8775-1248659590.jpg

Got the darn plate off. That was the 40 minutes from hell (dremel from inside).

post-8775-1248662831.jpg

Plate Off Pic.

post-8775-1248662838.jpg

Bottom Painted.

post-8775-1248698313.jpg

Mock Up Pic.

post-8775-1248659623.jpg

Edited by YouWontHearItComing

Thanks. Not doing the BHO as I don't see the real value in it.

Will post pics tommorrow when I get it back together and when I get the 'Krink' stock Wed/Thurs (hopefully).

I did the rivets from the inside (abit tight in there) but pleased with it.

The removal of the TG off the plate (with plate off the rifle) was messy and banging was needed with a hammer and chisel on concrete between raindrops.

I am really HAPPY...

Ordering the Tapco Fusion (not Galil) Forearm next week.

On out-of-state smith' wanted only $60 to do it (referred by a board member) but the smith' insisted on sending back to my local FFL vs me. That was a big let-down.

After looking at the FCG install pics 9 million times I figured once I got the darn plate off the rest would be EASY..

And it was.

Painting in the afternoon/evening 7pm (work late) and have together by 9pm (paint has to dry guys....)

[And yes I am going to paint inside the receiver also.]

On out-of-state smith' wanted only $60 to do it (referred by a board member) but the smith' insisted on sending back to my local FFL vs me. That was a big let-down.

Legalities are what they are. Don't hold that against him, he didn't make that up.

Legalities are what they are. Don't hold that against him, he didn't make that up.

BZZZZZT

The smith didn't know WTF he was talking about.

It's entirely legal to send your gun off to any FFL in the USA for repairs and have it returned directly to you when the repairs are completed.

Thanks. Not doing the BHO as I don't see the real value in it.

I feel the same way. I didn't put mine back in either. I figured if I didn't use it before I converted mine, I wouldn't use it after the conversion.

I think it's useful on an S12 though, and put it back in mine, post-conversion.

After looking at the FCG install pics 9 million times I figured once I got the darn plate off the rest would be EASY..

And it was.

Again, I agree 100%. Once you get that damn plate off, the rest is cake.\

Nalioth. Yes I know. That and shipping to and from and $35 for the xfer fee again was the deal killer.

Plus I got to learn. The Ak really is a 'simple' piece of machinery and easy to fix if need be.

Now I wait for the parts and sweat my butt off at work in the warehouse. Get home at 6:30 and pray my parts come in...

Keep you all posted.

Well after 2 trys with the hammer spring, the 3rd was the charm. Backwards and such... :cryss:

Going to redo the plastic plugs later (smooshed alittle) I didn't have drill bit to make 3/16" hole size (it broke). :chris:

The trigger-guard front screw under the mag-catch was a no-go at the moment also. (sturdy with just rear one for now).

Overall HAPPY that I did it. It was a learning experience (a good one also).

The 'Krink' stock should be here by WED/THURS and that will complete Christine..

post-8775-1248744772_thumb.jpg

post-8775-1248745002_thumb.jpg

The trigger-guard front screw under the mag-catch was a no-go at the moment also. (sturdy with just rear one for now).

Your Saiga will be fine without the front screw. Lots of people just tuck the front of the trigger guard under the mag catch, and call it good. Countless rounds later, still good.

It worked for me; rear screw/no front screw/end of TG tucked under the mag catch.

As for the warehouse thing.............I work in a warehouse too, but I don't usually sweat, even though I'm busting my ass.............that's because it's about 40ish degrees in the cooler area, and -10 degrees in the freezer area :o .

I read thats the way it used to be done (front trigger-guard under the mag catch). Getting the lock-nut on seems impossible under there.

I smoothed up the area where the guard meets the PG so it now rests more flush with the receiver...

Next is the 'Krink' type stock and Tapco FUSION forearm.. Then I'll be at 10 parts for 922r.

Finally done.. For now. With only $98 into it. CSS rocks and RPB industries rocks (Krink type stock).

Thank you to these forums for the Info and support.

Going to ParaCord Butt-Stock Later and add a Fusion Forearm later (well 1 week) ... :dollar:

post-8775-1249006327.jpg

post-8775-1249006388.jpg

Finally done.. For now. With only $98 into it. CSS rocks and RPB industries rocks (Krink type stock).

Thank you to these forums for the Info and support.

Going to ParaCord Butt-Stock Later and add a Fusion Forearm later (well 1 week) ... :dollar:

post-8775-1249006327.jpg

post-8775-1249006388.jpg

Looks great. I've always liked the look of that stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Walmart 'Color Place' int/ext Flat Black....

Paracord wrapping on the stock came out well (see my avatar on left) and I got 2-30 round mags now. 1 metal ribbed Bulgy and 1 Plastic Bulgy..

Next is the Bullet-guide from Dinzag and I'll be set to buy more ammo... (only got 100 rounds thus far to feed her).

BOUT DAMN TIME!!!!! Seriously, good lookin job! And as for the front guard screw...the nut WILL be in the way of the Hammer and will take SERIOUS grinding to give it room to function! My x39 is done, but my 223 does not have the front screw in there! LOL

Enjoy the fruits of your labor and the new found knoledge and self esteem bump that coms along with doing this!

Just don't forget to share your experience with others who haven't worked up the courage!!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally just now shot my x39 Saiga (Christine) for the 1st time ever (almost 2 months after I got it)..

Labor Day.... (for the fruits of my labor of converting it...lol)

I didn't fire it before conversion at all... <_< So today went very well.. No FTF or JAMS or 'hammer-spring' issues..

Killed a dead 7" diameter tree at like 50 yards or so.... :P Good enough for me so far..

Me and nephew (15 yo) each took 10 rounds to it... My mom said she heard us 1/2 mile down the road at the farm... -_-

Nephew liked the better balance with the PG vs. without (his dad has non-converted x39 also).