Shells not ejecting from S12, please help.

Well, I know a few others are having the same problem, but I never really found or saw a solution anywhere.

So I purchased Federal Bulk 7 1/2 and 8 bird shot from walmart today. Just got the 19" Saiga from a guy yesterday, brand new, never fired. I loaded it up, and it shoots it ... but won't eject any of the shells. The bolt comes back all the way, even enough to pull the hammer back, but it won't eject any shells. So I have to keep manually pulling it back, if I do that with a decent amount of force, the shell will eject. That was shooting from the hip. If I shoulder it, and keep it tight, it will attempt to eject the shell, but it ends up getting smashed inside the chamber. I tried loading it one by one, and with the factory mag. I also tried filing down the "bump", like topmaul talked about in a reply to a thread, "Look at the front of your bolt, there are two paws, one is fixed the other is spring loaded, what you can do is to file the bump off the fixed one, then you will eject like a mad man, don't worry about taking some of the bump off mine is worn smooth anyway."

I may not have filed enough of it away, but I'm scared that I may end up filing to much off. (I'm a noob to ANY sort of gunsmithing, big or small). Personally, it seems that there just isn't enough force in the round, to slam it back hard enough, to successfully eject it. The ammo box says the FPS is 1200, which I heard is a bit too low for the saiga, is this true? I'm cheap at times, and for 24$ for 100 rounds of target ammo, I'm happy ... but not if it's going to keep doing this in my Saiga. If I purchased the "Gunfixers Improved Gas Plug", what are the odds that it would fix my problem? The ammo I got is readily available locally and cheap, and I really don't want to give it up if I don't have to. ALSO, I tried changing the stock gas plug from 1 to 2, to see if it'd make a difference, but I didn't notice anything.

One other thing, I heard someone on another forum say, "This is a common problem with the saiga12's quality control during manufacturing. 19" barrel models should have 4 ports in a diamond formation in the barrel. The gas block has 1 large hole. Many times part of the gas block is blocking one of the barrel ports. To check just remove your gas knob and piston and look or feel with a pick. There are a few ways to fix this, best is to remove the gas block and enlarge the 1 hole so it doesnt block your barrel ports. I was able to do this on the gun with a dremmel, it only needed a little material removed. After reassembly, walmart bulk packs work great."

I looked, and there is one open hole and then another hole that is a little less than halfway covered up. Would drilling them out and making one big hole really help or fix my issue? I mean if I could just buy that special gas plug and be good to go, I'd be much more relieved, rather than tearing my gun apart.

Well, that's my story, sorry for the length. Please help anyway you can guys.

Thanks,

Chris

I would not recommend you drill your gun yourself if you have no gunsmithing experience. It sounds like you may have a "Vodka special", and your Saiga should still be under warranty. I would contact CGW in the partners section of the forum and they will do the work for you at no cost to you if it is still under warranty. I had the same problem and sent it to them and now it cycles perfectly.

I would not recommend you drill your gun yourself if you have no gunsmithing experience. It sounds like you may have a "Vodka special", and your Saiga should still be under warranty. I would contact CGW in the partners section of the forum and they will do the work for you at no cost to you if it is still under warranty. I had the same problem and sent it to them and now it cycles perfectly.

+1

Cadiz Gun Works

117 West Market St Suite B

P.O. Box 126

Cadiz, OH 43907-1107

CGWsales@gmail.com

phone# 740-942-3175

Hi Chris

I think you have received very good advise.

When Topmaul posts I listen very carefully.He probably has put as many rnds. downrange as anybody here.

I am interested in his post your referred to in your post.I do not think it is useful for what you have described.

Please let me know how you found that thread.

Thank You

John

you need to break it in with heavy loads, try the search function and don't file anything. If it doesn't eject with heavy loads, slugs or buck, then you have a problem and send it to Cadiz. Did you adjust the gas plug for the desired rounds?

Yeah I adjusted the gas plug between 1 and 2, and nothing happened. I guess getting that "improved gas plug" really wouldn't make a difference then?

I posted a thread in the CGW, to see if they'll take a look at it and all. Hope they'll still take it even if I filed the bolt a bit *shh*. I guess I'll try getting some buck and slugs tomorrow at walmart, and see how they perform. And I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for all the advice.

Yeah I adjusted the gas plug between 1 and 2, and nothing happened. I guess getting that "improved gas plug" really wouldn't make a difference then?

I posted a thread in the CGW, to see if they'll take a look at it and all. Hope they'll still take it even if I filed the bolt a bit *shh*. I guess I'll try getting some buck and slugs tomorrow at walmart, and see how they perform. And I'll let you guys know.

not really broke in until about 300 rounds of slugs have been cycled through ... thats what mine took now cycles perfectly

not really broke in until about 300 rounds of slugs have been cycled through ... thats what mine took now cycles perfectly

I'm a newbie but ........ 300 slugs for break in!

Christ, I can get a folding collapseable/pistol grip/modded plug and muzzle brake for

the price of 300 slugs

Better be another method for break in or this puppy is going BACK.

Seriously folks, maybe that rcommendation in the owners manual is there for a reason.

I'm a newbie but ........ 300 slugs for break in!

Christ, I can get a folding collapseable/pistol grip/modded plug and muzzle brake for

the price of 300 slugs

Better be another method for break in or this puppy is going BACK.

Seriously folks, maybe that rcommendation in the owners manual is there for a reason.

300 slugs seems excessive, and I don't think that's necessary for most S-12's. ~100 slugs/buck/other high brass shells should be sufficient to break er in. That worked for me, anyway.