Is my ghetto creation win or fail?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dude, you are all decked out and ready to interview for a position as a Somali Pirate!

Aaaandd the thread necromancers are at it again!

Posted Images

dude... they arn't even at the same height...

Make it better! You can do it!

It's supposed to be like that, the one on the right makes it a PITA to charge.

Bear8u you are a fucking moron

What people do for silliness with their guns = serious business. Get a clue, dude.

bushman14 Fail...put the other mag back in the pouch and quit dreaming about fighting in the streets.

I shoot on private land and wanted to do this basically for the hell of it. Why did you assume I had any such intentions?

gentlemanjim If...God help us...we ever have to do battle in the street.

I just hope its against guns and equipment like that.

Hope your just joking

Jim

You want to go up against a Russian-made semi-automatic AK that has 60 rounds at the ready and can be reloaded much faster than you can swap your mag out? Sounds like a bad plan to me. Why would you be shooting at me anyway?? Maybe I misunderstand your post.

Anyway, I already said this was a mock up, though I am going to do this again, I will be using black tape and wood as a spacer. I don't care what anyone thinks, I didn't do it to look good, I did it for fun at the range. If anyone doesn't like that, well, tough shit :) This is the USA and I have freedom to be goofy with my guns as long as I don't BREAK THE LAW or do anything UNSAFE, which this isn't.

Edited by Big Boss
I don't care what anyone thinks, I didn't do it to look good...If anyone doesn't like that, well, tough shit

Don't be the guy who creates a thread, asks everyone's opinion about something and then gets butt-hurt over the responses.

dude... they arn't even at the same height...

Make it better! You can do it!

It's supposed to be like that, the one on the right makes it a PITA to charge.

Get the tromix charging handle. I have a real mag coupler and never had this issue, but then i've never fired it without the bolt on charging handle. It went on right after paint.

I don't care what anyone thinks, I didn't do it to look good...If anyone doesn't like that, well, tough shit

Don't be the guy who creates a thread, asks everyone's opinion about something and then gets butt-hurt over the responses.

Apparently you have trouble reading, dude, I haven't been "butt-hurt" at all. I responded to a few posts, in a respectful manner, and that's about it. Not giving a damn about other's opinions isn't being butt-hurt, it's just that I merely don't care if some snooty guy thinks that using tape and cardboard to make something like this is somehow "below them" or something.

Get the tromix charging handle. I have a real mag coupler and never had this issue, but then i've never fired it without the bolt on charging handle. It went on right after paint.

Yeah, there is no way in Hell I'm paying $45 for a Galil-style charging handle.

Edited by Big Boss
...it's just that I merely don't care if some snooty guy thinks...

Yet you started a thread asking everyones opinion. Look, do what you want but if you rig up stuff like that and ask for opinions you can expect a "mixed" review.

FYI he's talking about the bolt on handle. It's 22 bucks.

Yet you started a thread asking everyones opinion. Look, do what you want but if you rig up stuff like that and ask for opinions you can expect a "mixed" review.

I didn't know that there was another one until you mentioned it :-D Seems like a much better price and a nice set-up. I'd be more open to the weld-on handle if I had a spare bolt carrier. Having the weld fail would somehow would suck :(

Yeah, I expected people to bash this, and I don't care if they do :) I've responded to several, more well thought-out criticisms or comments and responded to one hostile poster (bear), but that's about it.

Edited by Big Boss

I didn't know that there was another one until you mentioned it :-D Seems like a much better price and a nice set-up. I'd be more open to the weld-on handle if I had a spare bolt carrier. Having the weld fail would somehow would suck :(

Yeah, I expected people to bash this, and I don't care if they do :) I've responded to several, more well thought-out criticisms or comments and responded to one hostile poster (bear), but that's about it.

Yeap, Bob knew what i was talking about. I'm not trying to be a snob here, you asked for a opinion, and i only have mine to give.

I'm not big on the cardboard spacer and box tape.

Make it waterproof, and less shiny and you might be onto something, but your current configuration dosn't do it for me.

And yeah, the tromix bolt on handle is nice.

Yeap, Bob knew what i was talking about. I'm not trying to be a snob here, you asked for a opinion, and i only have mine to give.

I'm not big on the cardboard spacer and box tape.

Make it waterproof, and less shiny and you might be onto something, but your current configuration dosn't do it for me.

And yeah, the tromix bolt on handle is nice.

I guess I chose my words poorly, I don't wish to imply you're a snob. I thought you were quite friendly in your tone and respectful.

Well, since we recover stuff that looks like that on calls all of the time, I only have one comment.

"Coming soon to a property room near you!" :lolol: Just kidding, but if it works for you then it is all good.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

Well you can show everybody by making something better next time. How many times did Edison try before he got the right filament for his light bulb???????

If you invent something most besterest the guys on this board will be the first to buy it from you. There has to be a spark before a fire. I wish I would have put up the money 11 years ago for a patent for a product I came up with that is now on most weapons and was not back then. I wouldn't be stuck in Kuwait trying to get ahead on my bills.

I guess I chose my words poorly, I don't wish to imply you're a snob. I thought you were quite friendly in your tone and respectful.

You seem like a cool guy, and it looks like you had fun with this "project".

In Arizona that tape would quickly become goo.

BTW, is Rambo Somali just getting out of the pool? What's with the googles and towel?

The same would happen here in Ohio in summer weather. Anyway what's the point of joining magazines together? Do they make changing mags any faster? To me the taped (or joined) magazines look like they would throw the rifle's balance off and snag on something a lot easier.

Well, I fixed 'er up and now it looks much better, but still ghetto :

xblpj5.jpg

Wrapped black duct tape around 'em with wood in the middle, then black masking tape in the middle to secure the wood even more, then wrapped with the black masking tape to cover the glare of the duct tape, which is what is providing most of the strength. It may look stupid, but it's rock solid and would be reliable in adverse weather.

Well, I fixed 'er up and now it looks much better, but still ghetto :

xblpj5.jpg

Wrapped black duct tape around 'em with wood in the middle, then black masking tape in the middle to secure the wood even more, then wrapped with the black masking tape to cover the glare of the duct tape, which is what is providing most of the strength. It may look stupid, but it's rock solid and would be reliable in adverse weather.

mark II is possible win. Testing is required.

do you have any swamps near you? I'm interested to see how well the tape holds up, and if the swelling of the wood block has any serious effects.

please beat the crap out of mark II and post results.

Edited by Nailbomb

Unclamped the mags and painted them, I'm gonna clamp my East German and Polish mag because they have nice finishes. I clamped the Romanians because they had really worn finishes and my buddy had a bunch of good-quality metal paint.

28lf2pl.jpg

2mg8dwj.jpg

2e2ie79.jpg

Edited by Big Boss
Anyway what's the point of joining magazines together?

tacticoole.jpg

AMEN! Pretty bad when I can not be sure what the hell the basic weapons system is for sure! I think it may be an AR, but won't swear to it. Need a damn wheel barrow to carry it!

PS, get a 40 rounder or a drum. If 40 rounds doesn't fix your problem, you are screwed anyway.

Screw the drums, they're expensive as hell. I planned on getting two 40 rounders to clamp together way before I clamped these 30 rounders together, so I certainly will get some 40 rounders.

Drums aren't all that expensive... $130ish for a 75-rounder is still less than a third of the cost of the weapon (assuming a cheap DIY or prebuilt job, clearly more expensive stuff is out there), and a useful accessory at that cost. Lots of fun at the range. I got lucky and found my (used) Romanian drum for $67.50 plus tax about two years ago. Kept it loaded for six months and it still fed flawlessly. However, since you don't want to blow $15 on a mag clamp, you're clearly too frugal for the joy that is a drum mag. That tape-job looks sturdy enough, and if it works, more power to you. Have fun, keep shooting.

• 3 years later...