Ammo Selection for First Break-In...how are these?

I researched the threads and found that Federal seemed to be preferred by many. I went to WallyMart and Dick's but neither have Federal. Here is what they do have in what I believe are the hotter loads:

Winchester AA Light Target Load 2 3/4" , 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4 dram in either 8 or 9 shot $9.49 box of 25

Winchester Super Target 2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz, 3 drams, 8 shot - 1200 fps $29.99 box of 100

Winchester Super X 2 3/4" , 1 1/4 oz, no dram on box, 7 1/2 shot "High Brass" $15.99 box of 25

Those Super X are a lot more expensive!

Would you recommend any of the above? I want to break her in this weekend!

I would go back to walmart and have another look around. It's hit and miss here at wallmart as to what they have. Read the box...your high brass is good but the other two??? Look for something with a muzzle velocity with more then 1250 FPS... on the AA use "super handicap" if anything IMHO ...at 1200 fps walmart has it for $21 per 100. My gun wouldn't cycle any "Wichester heavy target loads" during break in...was probably 1200 fps ammo.

I would go back to walmart and have another look around. It's hit and miss here at wallmart as to what they have. Read the box...your high brass is good but the other two??? Look for something with a muzzle velocity with more then 1250 FPS... on the AA use "super handicap" if anything IMHO ...at 1200 fps walmart has it for $21 per 100. My gun wouldn't cycle any "Wichester heavy target loads" during break in...was probably 1200 fps ammo.

Am I right then in assuming the oz / dram is not enough to decide on?

I'm sure I got it wrong but I have been using muzzle velocity as an indicator of what to buy. Looking for the higher velocity shells as they seem to cycle it more on -1 or +1 whereas the 1200 fps and even some of the 1250 fps needs to cycle on 2. As I said in another thread walmart has boxes of Federal 25 shots with a muzzle velocity of 1290 fps for $4.67 under the counter. ...maybe not the greatest for break in but after that. Everyone says high brass, slugs and buck for break in.

Break in should be 150+ heavy rounds (buckshot or slugs) on gas setting 1... you need to free up the slide and internal moving parts on your gun. Go find some cheap 00 buckshot like Estate, Rio, Wolf, etc and have a blast.

After that 150+ heavy loads, you can try some Win AA target loads (I use 1 1/8oz 7 shot Win AA) on setting 1. If the AA cycles well, great... shoot everything on 1 forever after. If the AA bird/target shot doesn't cycle well on setting 1, shoot 100+ more buck/slug on 1, then try the AA again on setting 1 again... if it works, good.

If it still target shot still doesn't cycle reliably on setting 1 after a throurough break in of 200-300+ heavy loads shot on setting 1, you can try the Win AA target and other light loads on setting 2... that should work, and you can then use setting 1 permanently for buck/slug loads and 2 for birdshot.

Avoid cheap birdshot in your Saiga... your gun probably won't like it... many FTEs, and besides, that's not really what it was designed for. Use your grandpa's pump birding shotgun for birdshot and your Saiga cannon for buck/slug. You can probably use the occasional Win AA to save $ if your Saiga eats it well; each gun is different and you need to figure out the kinds of ammo yours cycles reliably or chokes. Personally I use Estate 00 buck or Win AA 1 1/8oz #7 at the range, and I use Rem 00 buck 2 3/4" reduced recoil for HD. JMO

Edited by slyguy
Break in should be 150+ heavy rounds (buckshot or slugs) on gas setting 1... you need to free up the slide and internal moving parts on your gun. Go find some cheap 00 buckshot like Estate, Rio, Wolf, etc and have a blast.

After that 150+ heavy loads, you can try some Win AA target loads (I use 1 1/8oz 7 shot Win AA) on setting 1. If the AA cycles well, great... shoot everything on 1 forever after. If the AA bird/target shot doesn't cycle well on setting 1, shoot 100+ more buck/slug on 1, then try the AA again on setting 1 again... if it works, good.

If it still target shot still doesn't cycle reliably on setting 1 after a throurough break in of 200-300+ heavy loads shot on setting 1, you can try the Win AA target and other light loads on setting 2... that should work, and you can then use setting 1 permanently for buck/slug loads and 2 for birdshot.

Avoid cheap birdshot in your Saiga... your gun probably won't like it... many FTEs, and besides, that's not really what it was designed for. Use your grandpa's pump birding shotgun for birdshot and your Saiga cannon for buck/slug. You can probably use the occasional Win AA to save $ if your Saiga eats it well; each gun is different and you need to figure out the kinds of ammo yours cycles reliably or chokes. Personally I use Estate 00 buck or Win AA 1 1/8oz #7 at the range, and I use Rem 00 buck 2 3/4" reduced recoil for HD. JMO

slyguy: can you define "heavy loads"? Do you mean 1 1/4 oz, nothing less? Sorry but I'm a newbie to SG loads!

I would set your gun to gas setting "1" and fire about 100 slugs and 3" buckshots down it (come on, you hate your shoulder, go with 15 pellet)......then try some federal 1-1/8oz bulk pack (light loads) on gas setting two.....

those #7.5 1-1/4oz loads might be a viable breakin round on gas setting one, as well.....

I researched the threads and found that Federal seemed to be preferred by many. I went to WallyMart and Dick's but neither have Federal. Here is what they do have in what I believe are the hotter loads:

Winchester AA Light Target Load 2 3/4" , 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4 dram in either 8 or 9 shot $9.49 box of 25

Winchester Super Target 2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz, 3 drams, 8 shot - 1200 fps $29.99 box of 100

Winchester Super X 2 3/4" , 1 1/4 oz, no dram on box, 7 1/2 shot "High Brass" $15.99 box of 25

Are you sure that your Walmart doesn't carry Federal 100-round value packs of 7 1/2 birdshot? :huh:

Regardless, that Federal is what I'd recommend for testing whether the gun is broken in or not and for plinking after it's broken in. To actually break the gun in, I recommend any shotshell that is 1 1/4 oz or higher, (except for slugs, 1 oz slugs are just fine, they have plenty of power).

Are you sure that your Walmart doesn't carry Federal 100-round value packs of 7 1/2 birdshot? :huh:

Regardless, that Federal is what I'd recommend for testing whether the gun is broken in or not and for plinking after it's broken in. To actually break the gun in, I recommend any shotshell that is 1 1/4 oz or higher, (except for slugs, 1 oz slugs are just fine, they have plenty of power).

Yep! At least the Super Walmart I stopped at. I'll call a few of their other locations tomorrow.

i broke mine in with the federal value pack from walmart, and it did just fine..

im not sure if my gun is a freak or not, but i can fire cheap federal value stuff on gas setting 1 and 2 with no issues.. is this normal?

Both my 4 port and my 3 port gun will shoot 7-1/2 1-1/8oz federal & remington bird shot on setting one >90% of the time. #8 bird shot and it'll FTE on setting 1 >90% of the time.

For you I would recommend buying the gunfixer gas adjustment cam from Mike D./ MDArms.

i broke mine in with the federal value pack from walmart, and it did just fine..

im not sure if my gun is a freak or not, but i can fire cheap federal value stuff on gas setting 1 and 2 with no issues.. is this normal?

Both my 4 port and my 3 port gun will shoot 7-1/2 1-1/8oz federal & remington bird shot on setting one >90% of the time. #8 bird shot and it'll FTE on setting 1 >90% of the time.

For you I would recommend buying the gunfixer gas adjustment cam from Mike D./ MDArms.

im about to sbs it, so i will see how it does when im done.. im not sure if i want 14" or 12"

hopefully it still cycles

I found another Walmart with the Federal Bulk Pack. Specs: 1200 FPS , 1 1/8 OZ , 3 DRAM $20.99 / 100 - Right Stuff?

I also picked up a box (25) Win Super X High Brass Game Loads: 1 1/4 oz, 3 3/4 dram , 6 lead shot - $10.97/box

I found another Walmart with the Federal Bulk Pack. Specs: 1200 FPS , 1 1/8 OZ , 3 DRAM $20.99 / 100 - Right Stuff?

I also picked up a box (25) Win Super X High Brass Game Loads: 1 1/4 oz, 3 3/4 dram , 6 lead shot - $10.97/box

I would consider that Fedeal Bulk Pack light game loads...good for setting 2 after you break in the weapon.

Thanks! Seems to be some varying opinions on the 1 1/8 oz vs 1 1/4 for break in. I got confused by post-apocalyptic's last post where he recommends it for breaking in or plinking then in the next sentence he mentions using 1 1/4?

I guess I'll pick up a box but wait till we have 50+ rounds of hot stuff before trying the Federal....sounds like a plan!

Here is what I purchased for this weekend's break-in:

20 rounds of Military Grade 00 Buck

50 rounds of Win Super X High Brass Game Loads: 1 1/4 oz, 3 3/4 dram , 6 lead shot

100 rounds of Federal Value Pack: 1 1/8 oz , 3 dram, 7 1/2 shot

A friend and I are taking her out - wonder if our shoulders will hold up. Thanks again to all for the guidance!

if you are going to shoot all that down a stock factory saiga12, the buttplate is a bit painful if you shoulder it exactly like any other monte carlo stock. you should pull it 1/2" out of your torso, for breakin, onto your shoulder, for less "cutting into your shit" effect.....you'll see....

oh, take a pic of your tatoo it gives you when yer done for us :) when the ammo runs out, of course!

(remember, half a turn IN for 1, half a turn OUT for 2 on the gas blind plug, dont back it out all the way on accident, or forget to put it back on 1)

Thanks! Seems to be some varying opinions on the 1 1/8 oz vs 1 1/4 for break in. I got confused by post-apocalyptic's last post where he recommends it for breaking in or plinking then in the next sentence he mentions using 1 1/4?

I guess I'll pick up a box but wait till we have 50+ rounds of hot stuff before trying the Federal....sounds like a plan!

Sorry, I thought my meaning was clear. :unsure:

The Federal bulk pack are the preferred, cheap plinking shells to use once your gun is running as she should, but high-brass is what you should use to actually break in the gun. You'll know that your S-12 is in fact broken-in once she will cycle the cheap Federal birdshot.

I advise ya to go ahead and experiment.. and check out the difference between pre-break-in and post-break-in. Fire a mag of the Federal bulk through your brand new S-12 and notice what happens, (several FTE's). Fire 20 or so high-brass shells, then try again, (fewer FTE's of the Federal bulk). Once you get through the rest of your high-brass, see how well that Federal birdshot will cycle then.

Have fun this weekend, (imo you couldn't have a bad time if you tried)! :up:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
if you are going to shoot all that down a stock factory saiga12, the buttplate is a bit painful if you shoulder it exactly like any other monte carlo stock. you should pull it 1/2" out of your torso, for breakin, onto your shoulder, for less "cutting into your shit" effect.....you'll see....

oh, take a pic of your tatoo it gives you when yer done for us :) when the ammo runs out, of course!

(remember, half a turn IN for 1, half a turn OUT for 2 on the gas blind plug, dont back it out all the way on accident, or forget to put it back on 1)

Since I've fired very few sg rounds this is going to be an experience. I'll try to remember to back it out 1/2", thanks for the tip. I'm used to the tatoo's from my Title II's on full auto... .308 for sure!

I think I'm supposed to keep my cheek up against the stock too.

Sorry, I thought my meaning was clear. :unsure:

The Federal bulk pack are the preferred, cheap plinking shells to use once your gun is running as she should, but high-brass is what you should use to actually break in the gun. You'll know that your S-12 is in fact broken-in once she will cycle the cheap Federal birdshot.

I advise ya to go ahead and experiment.. and check out the difference between pre-break-in and post-break-in. Fire a mag of the Federal bulk through your brand new S-12 and notice what happens, (several FTE's). Fire 20 or so high-brass shells, then try again, (fewer FTE's of the Federal bulk). Once you get through the rest of your high-brass, see how well that Federal birdshot will cycle then.

Have fun this weekend, (imo you couldn't have a bad time if you tried)! :up:

You were...my bad! I'll mix it up on setting #1 going back to the Federal after some hotter rounds first. Just remembered that I invited a 2nd buddy. I'm feelin good about some extra shoulders ;-)