Well I just took my new S-12 out shooting the other day and I had a few problems. I was getting some FTEs but I was expecting that since the gun shop I bought it from was out of high brass and I didn't feel like driving back to town. But I had a different problem after I finished the conversion. When I went out to shoot the second time I had some high brass. But one of the hammer spring legs kept sliding over into the gap in the trigger so it wouldn't reset. Anybody else get this problem? Anyone know how to fix it without replacing the spring? (Not that I don't want to do it, I'm just kinda lazy and it was difficult enough getting it in the first place lol). Also if anyone has any advice on quickly breaking it in, I don't want to miss all of dove season!

Sorry for the lack of pics I don't own a working digital camera at the moment...

My S12 just did the same thing for the first time after hundreds of rounds,

I just popped it back over, but if it ever does it again I figured Id try bending it to more of a hooked shape so it hangs on better.

Certainly not somethin you want happening in a SHTF situation though!

OK now I'm thinkin I'll bend it before it happens again.

My S12 just did the same thing for the first time after hundreds of rounds,

I just popped it back over, but if it ever does it again I figured Id try bending it to more of a hooked shape so it hangs on better.

Certainly not somethin you want happening in a SHTF situation though!

OK now I'm thinkin I'll bend it before it happens again.

Yeah that's what I did... It happened the day I converted it (which was my first conversion) so I was kinda worried I fucked something up... I bent it but it happened again a few shots later so I bent it some more but I haven't been able to get out to a range yet.

I was also wondering if anyone had the same problem with single wire springs instead of the OEM twisted ones...

• 3 weeks later...

I know you don't want to replace the spring, but I think that will be your best option. Gregg at CSS has one for 15 bucks that works great. I had the same problem on my S12 that you described and have since replaced the springs on both my Saigas with the spring from CSS, with great results.

Edited by kamauxx

the spring actually sits off of the place it is supposed to be, once you convert the gun. (remember grinding off part of one side of the hammer?) grab a pair of needlenose, pull the spring leg up, and twist it or bend it a smidge, to get the spring leg to naturally rest on the correct point, when you let go of it. This is one of the steps in doing a conversion to a saiga.

I'm going to tell you the same thing everyone else did!

Seriously though, just bend the spring a bit more towards the outside of the receiver and sit it back in. I had this problem when after I reinstalled my BHO, but never before I did. The BHO plate was pushing the spring inwards towards the FCG and the spring would fall off the trigger's catch after a few pulls. Now it's all gravy.

• 6 months later...

Well I just took my new S-12 out shooting the other day and I had a few problems. I was getting some FTEs but I was expecting that since the gun shop I bought it from was out of high brass and I didn't feel like driving back to town. But I had a different problem after I finished the conversion. When I went out to shoot the second time I had some high brass. But one of the hammer spring legs kept sliding over into the gap in the trigger so it wouldn't reset. Anybody else get this problem? Anyone know how to fix it without replacing the spring? (Not that I don't want to do it, I'm just kinda lazy and it was difficult enough getting it in the first place lol). Also if anyone has any advice on quickly breaking it in, I don't want to miss all of dove season!

Sorry for the lack of pics I don't own a working digital camera at the moment...