Getting someone to install a bullet guide.

I'm really interested in doing a conversion and I think I can handle about everything that needs to be done, except for the bullet guide. I'm thinking that I'd prefer to have someone else do it that has the right tools and experience. I wanted to ask you guys who should I have install a bullet guide? Can my local gunsmith do it or should I send it to a place that does conversions? If so, who should I send it in to?

I was in your boat when i did my bullet guide. I did the whole conversion myself than the bullet guide came. I had a drill so i lined up the bulletguide hole marked it and drilled the hole myself but i didnt have the right tapping tools so i brought it to my gunshop. Good thing too because gunsmithes will charge a fee for drilling and tapping but it they just have to tap it will be half the cost. so to save you some money drill the hole and have them tap the hole. hopes this help and good luck

I would drill the hole, but I don't have a drill press so I thought it would be a good idea to just have a gunsmith do it.

i dont have a drill press ether i just used a hand drill. I lines the bulled guide up marked the hole with a white pencill, take a puch and a hammer and made a little pivet so the drill bit wouldnt jump around and drilled it strait down (you can flip over the fronyt sight to get it out of your way.) make sure you drill strait down or damm close to strait down.

I would drill the hole, but I don't have a drill press so I thought it would be a good idea to just have a gunsmith do it.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, I'm sure a smith would appreciate your business. I'd recommend bringing him the rifle, the parts and a copy of the instructions, just in case he hasn't seen one, before, which is possible. Pretty much any smith should be able to do the modification for you, if you don't want to send your rifle out, check with your local gun stores to see who they recommend.

Yeah I was nervous too but I ended up doing the guide myself. Actually a fucked it up pretty good, ended up having to grind down part of the guide to get the screw to fit flush with the guide. The problem came when I drilled the hole off from the center mark. After a few test fits, some grinding, and more test fits I got it to work just fine.

You don't have to tap the hole.

You can drill a through hole and use a counter sunk bolt, nut, lock washer, and white lock tight.

That actually sound kind of interesting since that does remove the need to tap the trunion. I assume one could just use a dinzag bullet guide and just find the appropriate hardware at your hardware store?

On another note. Would there be any real reason to have the bullet guide riveted in? Is that any more secure than the bolting in the bullet guide?

riveting would be fine it would much more permanent so make sure its in there right the first time.

I don't know why everyone makes this bullet guide thing so difficult. You can get the best bullet guide done for free. Go to Lowes or Depot and purchase a 1/2 inch piece of flat stock or round pipe dependin on your trunnion. Hacksaw off bout a 1/2 inch from the end of the piece and return the rest. They won't notice that little bit missin. Dremmel it down so it fits nicely into the space between the barrel and trunnion and even give it a little polish job while your at it. Finally take your reciever to a local goood ole boy auto shop and ask one of em if he's gotta minute to just quickly TIG a little spot on the edge of the guide and trunnion. They almost always do it for free cause it takes like 2 mins. Go home an clean up the weld a little with the dremel and your done. Much more reliable than anything drilled and tapped and NO broken bits. OH and did I mention it can be done for FREE