Has Anyone Tried One Of These Mounts From LaRue?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried one of these optic mounts:

larue_irondot_bare_300_bf.jpg

I saw a link to them on another forum, and thought I would ask here.

BTW, I don't think any of our vendors sell this item, so I hope I am not in violation of the rules. Thanks.

ETA another pic of it mounted:

larue_irondot_full_370_larue.jpg

Edited by Moe Zambeak

This is an actual sight similar to an eotech. Its pretty compact and allows for a co-witness of the iron sights of an ak or saiga platform. I've just ordered one a few days ago and intend on posting some pros and cons here in a week or so. It seems like a great alternative to having to add a sight rail.

Problem I have with it is being locked in to the optics they choose.

Not sure hold the optic is attached to the mount and not interested in blowing 300.00 to find out. Step in the right direction getting the profile down but will wait for someone with money to blow on it writing it up.

Problem I have with it is being locked in to the optics they choose.

Not sure hold the optic is attached to the mount and not interested in blowing 300.00 to find out. Step in the right direction getting the profile down but will wait for someone with money to blow on it writing it up.

A Burris is one of the 'cheaper' mini red dot's on the market but I'm sure if there was a problem with it we would hear about it. This is the internet after all. You can now get a Doctor optic if you would like too. There are two earth magnets in the mount right above where the rear sight base is that help to keep it attached to the gun. Plus Larue doesn't make crap.

if you are gonna run a dot... this or an ultimak the best set up IMO....

you can still shoot Irons of optic fails.... and you can co witness... stable optics

no sloppy hand guard or dust cover mount...

As far as I know this unit is still being shipped with the ORIGINAL Burris Fastfire, which isn't waterproof--many people have complained about it failing in light rain (and the dot either pulsating in light/dark transitions or washing out in bright light). The Burris FASTFIRE II, however, IS waterproof, but I don't think LaRue is shipping with that model. Also, last I heard there was a long wait (like six months) to get one of these.

Botasky1--did they say it would ship?

I was waiting for them to come out with the FastFire II version before I got one.

If only the Samson rear-sight mount was lower and/or easily removable, I'd get that and put a Trijicon RMR or some other mini-dot like the Fastfire II. I've got the tech-sights rear aperture sight, so I don't need the middle back-up irons anyway.

From Larue Tacticals Website;

Features:

- Docter or Burris FastFire MRD Optic (make selection to the right)

- Weight: Approx 3.5 oz.

- Steel Backbone

- Integral rear iron sight

Docter Combo Price: $535.95

Burris FastFire Combo Price: $285.00

My guess for them using the cheaper sight is because it's an AK. :unsure: I'm sure there was demand for a better sight and that's why the Docter is an option now.

I've heard good things about the FastFire II, and I'd never pay $535 for a mini-red dot (but then, I'd only pay $300-$350 or so for any red-dot, even the mighty T-1).

Due to the addition of a rubber cover on the bottom, it would raise up the sight a bit and throw off the co-witness.

I wish someone would make a mount just like this with a quick detach option, so that the cowitness wouldn't be as big of a deal.

As far as I know this unit is still being shipped with the ORIGINAL Burris Fastfire, which isn't waterproof--many people have complained about it failing in light rain (and the dot either pulsating in light/dark transitions or washing out in bright light). The Burris FASTFIRE II, however, IS waterproof, but I don't think LaRue is shipping with that model. Also, last I heard there was a long wait (like six months) to get one of these.

Botasky1--did they say it would ship?

I was waiting for them to come out with the FastFire II version before I got one.

If only the Samson rear-sight mount was lower and/or easily removable, I'd get that and put a Trijicon RMR or some other mini-dot like the Fastfire II. I've got the tech-sights rear aperture sight, so I don't need the middle back-up irons anyway.

Someone recently (w/in the last month or so) posted here that LaRue told them they're shipping with the FastFire II.

• 1 month later...

This is an actual sight similar to an eotech. Its pretty compact and allows for a co-witness of the iron sights of an ak or saiga platform. I've just ordered one a few days ago and intend on posting some pros and cons here in a week or so. It seems like a great alternative to having to add a sight rail.

Any pros and cons yet? I'm curious how the glass on it compares to the Eotech's.

Edited by THE RIPPER

The following weblink will take you to some wanker's review of this product, conducted during November 2008: LT AK IronDot

:rolleyes:

Actually, the dude wasn't a wanker; he performed a rather detailed review with many pleasing photos. If you're interested in this optic & mount combination (ummm... as I may be), I recommend reading this guy's review.

:super:

Oh, and here is another product review, written-up during late January 2009 by the dude that runs the "militarymorons.com' military equipment review website. The review is located approximately half-way down the page: LaRue Tactical AK IronDot MRD

Edited by Gary

Interesting.... I am unable to locate via websearch a single online supplier for this item. It's not within the Larue Tactical store site either. Do you suppose that it has been discontinued already???

huh.gif

Hiya Gary!

I contacted LaRue Tactical for you and received the following response. I hope you find it to be of benefit.

Sir,

We pulled it from the website so as not to stack up any more backorders, it's being redesigned. Burris and Docter changed the shape of the optics when they upgraded them and the AK Iron Dot wouldn't fit the new ones. While they were changing the mount to fit they decided to add some user-suggested upgrades so it fit more rifles, better. We should be restarting production late winter/early spring.

Thanks,

Brian Fulton

LaRue Tactical

• Like 4

1911 -- Dude, you friggen ROCK!!! Thank you so much for contacting LaRue and obtaining an answer from them.

Their answer back to you, I receive as being very good news. FANTASTIC!!! Once I receive my GoGun Saiga IZ-240 Rifle from Esteban, I'm definitely going to purchase this optic set-up and give it a whirl. From what I've been able to uncover via the internet thus far. . . . This particular mount and MRD arrangement seems to be the friggen cats pajamas... :lolol:

Thanks again 1911!

~Gary

Yep. The reply I got from Larue (about a month ago) was as follows:

Because of the waterproofing of the new Burris Fast Fire II, it doesn't fit

our mount, so we are experiencing an extreme delay on the AK Iron Dot. The

delay is due to the mount's been designed specifically for the Burris Fast

Fire I. The Burris Fast Fire I was discontinued and replaced with the Fast

Fire II without our knowledge. We have to redesign, prototype, and test the

new design to ensure that it meets the same standards as our original mount,

and those of all LaRue Tactical products. We are currently anticipating six

to seven months before the new design will be ready for shipping. Again I

apologize for the inconvenience, and would like to remind you that you will

not be charged for your order until the day it ships. I am sorry for the

inconvenience, if you need further assistance please feel free to email me

or give me a call, I'm more than happy to assist you in any way I can.

v/r

Tyler Guyett

LaRue Tactical / APPI

--

I'm waiting for their next round of mounts for the Burris Fastfire II...I wish I could afford the Aimpoint T-1/H-1 since they're supposedly working on a mount for that as well.

I have had a La RUe Iron Dot on backorder since June 09. I got the same song & dance from La Rue that they were re-designing the mount due to some changes by Burris. They don't expect to start shipping again until Mar. 09. I had heard through the grapevine that they were shipping these sights to the Special Forces in Afganistan. I don't know if that is indeed the case or not. However, I suspect that Uncle Sam pays a lot more than $300 for these. I'm all for supporting the troops! Just put a freeze on new Civi orders until their production capacity catches up with demand.

Zonie