MAA S12 Barrel Shroud

I just got the MAA barrel shroud and wanted to give a brief preliminary review. I say preliminary because I haven't had a chance to shoot the weapon with the shroud attached. I got the version with the holes all around which was just a personal preference. It was well packaged and protected for shipping. I was immediately impressed with the look of it right out of the box. It has a quality look and feel and seems to be just the right balance between having enough material there to have a solid and sturdy accessory without adding too much weight, in fact weight hardly seems to be an issue at all. It comes with a special tool to rotate the shroud via the holes on the muzzle end. There are two flat sides on the tool to apply a wrench but there shouldn't be any need for much torgue to get this thing tight. The rear of the shroud tightens down over the entire circumference of the barrel with a split ring inside the shroud that is itself tightened to the barrel with set screws making for a very solid and non-marring fit. There is absolutely no movement in this thing and I anticipate it will remain like that after firing. It leaves plenty of room at the rear to manipulate and/or remove the gas plug so no worries there. Thats about all I can say right now except that it makes the gun look awesome.

Edited by DogMan
That picture makes it kind of hard to see the details in the product. I would like to see some good user provided photos. Also, does it look like there is any chance this shroud can be cut shorter for SBS use?

I think you could make it it shorter but you would have to redrill and tap the 2 set screw holes. There is also a slight ridge that the inner ring rests against that would no longer be there if it were cut off but I'm not sure that is a critical feature. I'll get some detail photos out this morning.

I just got the MAA barrel shroud and wanted to give a brief preliminary review. I say preliminary because I haven't had a chance to shoot the weapon with the shroud attached. I got the version with the holes all around which was just a personal preference. It was well packaged and protected for shipping. I was immediately impressed with the look of it right out of the box. It has a quality look and feel and seems to be just the right balance between having enough material there to have a solid and sturdy accessory without adding too much weight, in fact weight hardly seems to be an issue at all. It comes with a special tool to rotate the shroud via the holes on the muzzle end. There are two flat sides on the tool to apply a wrench but there shouldn't be any need for much torgue to get this thing tight. The rear of the shroud tightens down over the entire circumference of the barrel with a split ring inside the shroud that is itself tightened to the barrel with set screws making for a very solid and non-marring fit. There is absolutely no movement in this thing and I anticipate it will remain like that after firing. It leaves plenty of room at the rear to manipulate and/or remove the gas plug so no worries there. Thats about all I can say right now except that it makes the gun look awesome.

Gonna have to get one of those for mine! Sharp!!

whats the weight on that thing? I mean, do you notice that thing is on the end of the barrel when you're holding it?

I didn't weigh it but its surprisingly lightweight for how beefy and solid it feels. Obviously the model with the most holes like I have will be the lightest of all of them. I doubt if I could tell if it was on the gun three out of three times in a blindfold test so I consider weight to be virtually a nonfactor.

Yes, that thing is super cool.

It takes the place of any flash hider or choke adapter correct? Wonder what sort of mods could be made to use this and another barrel attachment, maybe threading the barrel further, and screwing this further on? Looks like there is enough room between the end and the foregrip.

In any case it is on the list.

Thanks for the pics, the MAA ones kinda suck.

Thanks Dogman! I ordered one of their "Lightening hole shrouds" which is what I believe you posted. That makes 4 left on MAA's site although they have more in stock for the other options. Pay close attention if ordering - I almost ordered the "blind hole shroud" by mistake so.

Edited by kwesi
  • 2 weeks later...

Dogman: +1 on your assessment! I just got back off the road to check my MAA barrel shroud out and it is awesome & very light. I'll plan to post pics after I tap a screw for securing the LS folding stock. Very nice machining. Didn't even seem to need the tool to tighten it! I installed the Gunfixr plug and no issues with having space to remove!

Dogman: +1 on your assessment! I just got back off the road to check my MAA barrel shroud out and it is awesome & very light. I'll plan to post pics after I tap a screw for securing the LS folding stock. Very nice machining. Didn't even seem to need the tool to tighten it! I installed the Gunfixr plug and no issues with having space to remove!

Great! Yeah, I think they have a winner here. Looking forward to your pics.

It takes the place of any flash hider or choke adapter correct? Wonder what sort of mods could be made to use this and another barrel attachment, maybe threading the barrel further, and screwing this further on? Looks like there is enough room between the end and the foregrip.

I don't know about using the shroud with another attachment that uses the barrel threads. I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Imo, the only muzzle attachment worth using on the 19" guns is a choke, and I think you could have the inside of the barrel threaded for those more easily than you could "extend" the factory outside threads, (it'd also look better).

It does look as though there is enough room between the MAA shroud and the handguard that you could use one with a Krebs bolt-on fsb, (and rear aperture sight). In fact I think one of our members did something like that, but I'm too lazy to scour the board looking for his pics.

I don't know about using the shroud with another attachment that uses the barrel threads. I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth. Imo, the only muzzle attachment worth using on the 19" guns is a choke, and I think you could have the inside of the barrel threaded for those more easily than you could "extend" the factory outside threads, (it'd also look better).

It does look as though there is enough room between the MAA shroud and the handguard that you could use one with a Krebs bolt-on fsb, (and rear aperture sight). In fact I think one of our members did something like that, but I'm too lazy to scour the board looking for his pics.

Hey post, I was thinking the same thing you were. I stumbled upon a pic here in the forums (can't remember the user name). I got the krebs too and wanted to se if there's a way to us it and the shroud. This guy did it, tho it looks like the shroud was modified to to fit the fsb

post-18561-12544229024167_thumb.jpg

post-18561-12544229145053_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look like the Krebs front sight will fit between the shroud and gas plug. The front sight on my Krebs measures 2.5 centimeters and the space between the shroud and gas plug on my other weapon is 2.1 centimeters. Even if you could squeeze it in there you couldn't adjust the gas plug very well. But hey, where there's a will there's a way and I'm sure someone can come up with something.

It doesn't look like the Krebs front sight will fit between the shroud and gas plug. The front sight on my Krebs measures 2.5 centimeters and the space between the shroud and gas plug on my other weapon is 2.1 centimeters. Even if you could squeeze it in there you couldn't adjust the gas plug very well. But hey, where there's a will there's a way and I'm sure someone can come up with something.

In the pics in the post above yours, it looks like a slot has been cut into the shroud to accommodate the Krebs fsb. I think it looks pretty badass that way as well. Of course, lookin at it, it'd still be a bit of a pain to remove the gas plug and puck, but it should be doable.

Great! Yeah, I think they have a winner here. Looking forward to your pics.

Dogman: the pics are posted on this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=45699

• 2 months later...