Glock 50Gi Conversion Test Results with Pics

Hello everyone..

Just recieved my 50gi Conversion for my glock 21sf with an order of some SCHP Ammo and Regular Jacketed Ball ammo.For those of you who are curious about price and availability..Ammo starts anywhere between $21-$36 per 20rounds..also ammo is available on a few online stores such as Impactguns.com or guncrafter industries or Corbon,My local pawn shop has few instock currently here in houston .So I started to get impatiant and couldnt wait tomorrow to do some shooting and tests..so i took her out and cycled a few rounds through her today..Since i dont have any Balistic gelatin on hand..I divided 10 phone books and taped them up together measuring a total of 10.1 inches per stack..Then i filled a bucket up with some water & soapy laundry detergent and soaked the phone books in there for 20 minutes... After getting it all soggy and mushy ...I stood it up on a stand at about the same level as me... My first shot i fired using 185gr Solid Copper Hollow points traveling at 1200fps at a distance of 7ft..Recoil on this round is on par with a .45+P...When the bullet entered it ended up over penetrated the phone books and exited with a devastating blow knocking the phone book off the ledge with pretty much mutilating and mincing up the exit way....Something i never saw my 10mm do using Double Tap Nosler Jacketed Hollow points Tested at 1600fps....Since it was no use using the same phone book i took the second one out but this time i stood 18ft away and fired another shot..this shot stopped at the end of the 4th phone book which measured a depth of 8 inches..Below i have posted a few photos of the bullet expanding out at over an inch :eek: ..I have also made a comparison of it with a .25cent Quarter...I must say i was extremely impressed with these results...Ive never seen a bullet fan out like this one did in a handgun...Even when i shoot my .454, the bullets dont even expand this much even though the .454 is much more powerful and capable of shooting a Barnes X bullet at 2000fps..I am now a huge fan of this round and i will definnately be using this as an option of my new Conceal Carry Weapon :wub: other than my 10mm...My next test will be some gold dots and hornadys.....I have them on order to be made by Corbon.. :super: ..Hope you guys enjoy the picspost-16872-12532543680875_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532544027358_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532543436287_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532543143633_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532541810413_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532542039144_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532546414884_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532542514253_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532542757773_thumb.jpgpost-16872-1253254295428_thumb.jpgpost-16872-12532542219708_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The expansion and balistics surprised the shit out of me...I really didnt expect to dig out a bullet looking like that...Since i am a huge 10mm fan for conceal carry..The 50gi has opened my eyes and mind a little better to newer things :eek: ..

Also as far as i know..they only make it for full size glock20 and 21 frames

Edited by voonman

Yeah, I would have been suprised if the conversion kit was offered for the smaller Glock .45's like the Glock 30. Still.. how cool would it be if it was? That juggernaut of a round in a "sub-compact" Glock with a 3.5" barrel? Forget "pocket rocket"... that'd be a pocket wrecking-ball. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Yeah, I would have been suprised if the conversion kit was offered for the smaller Glock .45's like the Glock 30. Still.. how cool would it be if it was? That juggernaut of a round in a "sub-compact" Glock with a 3.5" barrel? Forget "pocket rocket"... that'd be a pocket wrecking-ball. :D

Hell yeah... My 10mm i own is on a compact 29frame..I think its the same as the 30frame..But i also would be very impressed to see a 50cal conversion for it...

Good grief that is a wide hollow point. That first picture looks as much like a shot glass as a handgun cartridge. I thought because of its caliber the best bullets to use in the .50 GI would be the heavier 275 and 300 grainers, but the expansion of that 185 grain round is pretty impressive. I admit when I first heard about the .50GI it didn't sound like it could be much of an improvement over existing cartridges, just a slightly bigger .45 ACP I thought, and it seemed as much a novelty as anything else. Now I see that it definitely has some potential though. It will be interesting to see the results when people start doing ballistic gelatin tests with it.

Good grief that is a wide hollow point. That first picture looks as much like a shot glass as a handgun cartridge. I thought because of its caliber the best bullets to use in the .50 GI would be the heavier 275 and 300 grainers, but the expansion of that 185 grain round is pretty impressive. I admit when I first heard about the .50GI it didn't sound like it could be much of an improvement over existing cartridges, just a slightly bigger .45 ACP I thought, and it seemed as much a novelty as anything else. Now I see that it definitely has some potential though. It will be interesting to see the results when people start doing ballistic gelatin tests with it.

Here are the Gelatin Tests http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page988.htm

Ah, ask and ye shall receive. That 185 grainer sure makes a heck of a wound cavity, though I think its safe to say that 300 grain TMJ round would not be the ideal self defense round, as it doesn't have any expansion, and it seems to have just a bit more penetration than is really needed. Unless of course there are bad guys out there big enough to require a bullet which when fired from a handgun has double the penetration of a soft-point 7.62x39mm round fired from a rifle.

Edited by Frogfoot

Ah, ask and ye shall receive. That 185 grainer sure makes a heck of a wound cavity, though I think its safe to say that 300 grain TMJ round would not be the ideal self defense round, as it doesn't have any expansion, and it seems to have just a bit more penetration than is really needed. Unless of course there are bad guys out there big enough to require a bullet which when fired from a handgun has double the penetration of a soft-point 7.62x39mm round fired from a rifle.

Yeah you are right,i dont use the 300grains loaded in my gun as self defense..Only for practice..To be honest after seeing the results of the copper bullet..There would be no need for the TMJ...Stay tuned for futher testing with the gold dots and Hornadys...I have also ordered the same copper hollow point but in 230gr traveling at around 1000fps... I think that might penetrate a little more ..wont know yet until i test them..

Yeah you are right,i dont use the 300grains loaded in my gun as self defense..Only for practice..To be honest after seeing the results of the copper bullet..There would be no need for the TMJ...Stay tuned for futher testing with the gold dots and Hornadys...I have also ordered the same copper hollow point but in 230gr traveling at around 1000fps... I think that might penetrate a little more ..wont know yet until i test them..

Yeah I was guessing that the 300 grain TMJ were mainly for practice and range plinking, though with the level of penetration they have they might make a decent 'critter-defense' round for those who hike and camp in areas where mountain lions or black bears roam (though of course personally my preferred defense against such critters when I am out camping is to avoid them :) ). That 185 grain all copper bullet does have terrific expansion, though it does seem a little short in penetration. It will be interesting to see how the other hollow points perform.

Edited by Frogfoot

Yeah I was guessing that the 300 grain TMJ were mainly for practice and range plinking, though with the level of penetration they have they might make a decent 'critter-defense' round for those who hike and camp in areas where mountain lions or black bears roam (though of course personally my preferred defense against such critters when I am out camping is to avoid them :) ). That 185 grain all copper bullet does have terrific expansion, though it does seem a little short in penetration. It will be interesting to see how the the other hollow points perform.

The hollow points i dont believe have too short of penetration... At 18ft and a depth of 8inches and expanding over an inch lodging in flesh could be catastrophic...As for critter and dangerous game defense i might use this as a possible back up to my .454casuall...

The hollow points i dont believe have too short of penetration... At 18ft and a depth of 8inches and expanding over an inch lodging in flesh could be catastrophic...As for critter and dangerous game defense i might use this as a possible back up to my .454casuall...

Don't get me wrong, I think 8 or 9 inches of penetration depth is still pretty good, and I certainly wouldn't disregard a round with that penetration depth, but (and this is just my personal choice) I prefer loads which are closer to the FBI ballistic test protocol requirement of a minimum penetration depth of 12 inches. Again I certainly wouldn't discount a round that has a bit less penetration, but if given a choice a round with a penetration depth of around 12 inches is what I would prefer.

Edited by Frogfoot