Stumbled onto an EOTech at a good price..

So a coworker mentioned to me today that since she knew I was a "gun afficionado", she thought she'd ask me if I wanted to buy a sight her husband is selling, giving me a chance to buy it before he puts it on ebay.

Anyway, it's an EOTech 512.A65. She had it there for me to inspect. It looked brand new and she said that it'd never been mounted on a weapon, (or really used for anything). It had batteries in it so I could test it for function. Now, I don't have much experience with holo-sights, but the reticle looked a little odd to me as I looked through it under flourescent lights. The reticle looked "fuzzy" around the edges, (especially from the mid-high brightness levels). Is this normal?

The asking price is $325. Looking around the net, it seems as though many sites have this EOTech model on sale for anywhere from $340-$399. I think I'll make an offer of ~$300, (assuming what I observed about the reticle's appearance is normal).

If I buy this sight, I was thinking of mounting it on a side-rail adapter and using it on my S-12, (and SGL-20 if I ever get it back). Who has experience using an EOTech in this role? Does it stand up well to the recoil? I've heard they can have heat issues, but I figure mounted to a side-rail adapter, it won't get too hot.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

So a coworker mentioned to me today that since she knew I was a "gun afficionado", she thought she'd ask me if I wanted to buy a sight her husband is selling, giving me a chance to buy it before he puts it on ebay.

Anyway, it's an EOTech 512.A65. She had it there for me to inspect. It looked brand new and she said that it'd never been mounted on a weapon, (or really used for anything). It had batteries in it so I could test it for function. Now, I don't have much experience with holo-sights, but the reticle looked a little odd to me as I looked through it under flourescent lights. The reticle looked "fuzzy" around the edges, (especially from the mid-high brightness levels). Is this normal?

The asking price is $325. Looking around the net, it seems as though many sites have this EOTech model on sale for anywhere from $340-$399. I think I'll make an offer of ~$300, (assuming what I observed about the reticle's appearance is normal).

If I buy this sight, I was thinking of mounting it on a side-rail adapter and using it on my S-12, (and SGL-20 if I ever get it back). Who has experience using an EOTech in this role? Does it stand up well to the recoil? I've heard they can have heat issues, but I figure mounted to a side-rail adapter, it won't get too hot.

The fuzziness on the eotech is normal indoors. My friend returned one only to buy it again b/c he thought his astigmatism was affecting his view. Once you go outside, it will go away and look crisp and clear.The 512 is the old style which will cowitness with an ar, so it sits low. Look at the pic page, there are a lot of guys running eotechs with a side rail. I might consider it myself since im waiting on a chaos rail. I really doubt any heat issues will affect the eotech, esp. on the side saddle rail. Sounds like a deal at $300 since most 512's on arfcom are going for $325. Now if only I could find a rail to put this on.....

DSCF0017-1.jpg

...Look at the pic page, there are a lot of guys running eotechs with a side rail...

Yeah, I just looked at it again and saw a few. For some reason I didn't notice em before, probably because I wasn't considering buying an EOTech at the time.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I won't speak on how the 512 works on a S12, as I never had one on mine (but did have a 512 for a little bit on an AR), but as far as the blurriness.........lots of people notice this, when first using an Eotech. If you're looking at the "donut of death" itself, it's going to look blurry. You're supposed too look "through" it, and concentrate on your target, not the reticle. Some people have a hard time training their eyes to do this, as they almost automatically concentrate on the reticle itself.

Use it with both eyes open, and mess with the brightness levels and it should appear a lot more crisp and clear. Turning it down some will help the blurriness.

I love mine. Its fast to get back on target, built like a tank, and it will help you get all the girls. I have a aimpoint on my saiga .223. The aimpoint feels more intrusive, but as I use it for engagement zone of 100+ yards, its not an issue. My saiga 12 I intend to primarily use under 50 or less yards so I want something that is almost inadvisable and the EoT fits that best.

post-10987-12539067750478_thumb.jpg

...Look at the pic page, there are a lot of guys running eotechs with a side rail...
Yeah, I just looked at it again and saw a few. For some reason I didn't notice em before, probably because I wasn't considering buying an EOTech at the time.

Funny, I find myself going through all 18 pages everytime I am considering adding anything to my rifle, anything.

If it is set to co-witness with an AR, then it should sit very high, not low.

Wouldnt say Vary high,but ya. Lower is what I meant. Lower than the new series that have the bottoms on the sides such as the 516 I have on my ar that has a 1/3 riser built into the eotech.

I love mine. Its fast to get back on target, built like a tank, and it will help you get all the girls. I have a aimpoint on my saiga .223. The aimpoint feels more intrusive, but as I use it for engagement zone of 100+ yards, its not an issue. My saiga 12 I intend to primarily use under 50 or less yards so I want something that is almost inadvisable and the EoT fits that best. post-10987-12539067750478_thumb.jpg

So did you sight in at 25 yrds? Thats what im considering, if not probably even 15...I honestly dont thing I'll ever use mine past 25 yrs or so.

I've used that same sight on an MP5, An S12 and a few AR's and it's an excellent sight. Well built and rugged. I don't care for the big fuzzy circle much, but it stays on target. What's nice about the eotech is that you have a big window to look through. I have a burris on mine and love it, but if i didn't, i'd probably have an eotech. You can't go wrong with either my man.