Anyone have issues with the charging handle being to large for the bolt on charging handle to not even fit on? Just a Dremel-tastic time to fix?

And secondly...I restored my Saiga with a Tromix DIY trigger guard and FCG last night and the rear pin (holding the trigger) backs out of the right side hole after hand-cycling three times. I put the BHO back in when I restored, would that cause this? Anyone else have issues with this? Are the pins front/back specific? Do I need to buy aftermarket ones?

Thanks

Eric

It's super-rare for a handle to be too large, but it's possible. Make sure the srew is facing to the front and backed all the way out.

Sounds like you didn't put in the retaining wire for the pin to come out.

Edited by BobAsh

I'm thinking that's what may have happened.

Any ideas/experience with the charging handle issue?

Thanks

Eric

Sadly no. I am considering getting one for aesthetic purposes and to protect the bolt carrier's handle better. I think if I read somewhere you do have to file the charging handle to fit? Not really sure on that so don't do it based off my info. :P

Thanks

Eric

There are definitely differences in the sizes of the original charging handles on S12s. On three of mine the Tromix bolt on handle fits good, on the fourth it won't slide on all the way. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it right now but I know that if I choose to go that way, then I'll only need to take a little bit of material off the original handle with some emery cloth.

Thanks

Eric

Sadly no. I am considering getting one for aesthetic purposes and to protect the bolt carrier's handle better. I think if I read somewhere you do have to file the charging handle to fit? Not really sure on that so don't do it based off my info. :P

I had never seen anything mentioning filing was needed. I put one on my Romi and it works like a dream so I picked one up for the S12 as well. Just wanted to bounce the issue off some others before I took tools to a charging handle.

99% of charging handles will fit perfectly. It's an inherent problem when you're designing product for AK's. You shouldn't have to remove much, and it won't change the overall form or function of the original handle.

We only use the "shepherd's crook" style retainer as Uncle Misha intended. Make sure it's all the way seated.

Shepherdscrookinstall.jpg

• Like 1

99% of charging handles will fit perfectly. It's an inherent problem when you're designing product for AK's. You shouldn't have to remove much, and it won't change the overall form or function of the original handle.

We only use the "shepherd's crook" style retainer as Uncle Misha intended. Make sure it's all the way seated.

Bob

Thanks on both parts. I'm guessing that during the mounting of the new stock and everything after the shepards crook was installed it got shaken loose.

Thanks again

Eric

99% of charging handles will fit perfectly. It's an inherent problem when you're designing product for AK's.

. . it's an inherent problem when designing parts for anything that is mass-produced.

This is why Bulgarian 5.56x45 waffles fit perfectly in some .223 Saigas (after interdiction plate removal), but require mag latch mods in others.

This is why some Saigas don't need bullet guides when used with some magazines (lucky combination effect).

and so on . . .

Bob

Thanks on both parts. I'm guessing that during the mounting of the new stock and everything after the shepards crook was installed it got shaken loose.

Thanks again

Eric

In my experience, there isn't enough clearance below the trigger group axis pin for the shepherds hook provided with the Tromix FCG. I had to reduce the diameter of that end of the wire in order for it to fit properly. After doing so, it slipped in and worked fine.

If you are having similar problems, chances are it is the diameter of the wire itself, and not your dexterity or perceived lack thereof.

WS