Ok, the plan is Saturday morning, but what time? Does any one know specifics on the range(Rio Salado) as far as if some one should get there early and if it is possible to save places for others? I'll give them a call and post my findings later. And who all is coming? Feel free to post suggestions, nothing is set in stone.

Well, I work until 8am on Saturdays... it will take me approx 1hour 30mins or so to get there from work/picking up Zen... so... 10AM works for me.

Rio Salado opens at 7AM I believe.

The Saturdays I have been there there have been a good number of people so getting some there to maybe reserve some lanes and definitely a clay launcher is a good idea. Maybe Zen can drive himself this time and get there early.

Ok here's what I got from the lady that works there. It's first come first serve, but you can have two people per lane so if half the people get down there at a decent hour we should be able to share lanes and be ok. I can be there by around 7:30 or so and I think a couple of my friends will be going so if a few more can make it early we should be ok. It's $7 to get in if you are not a member and they open at 7am. So we need to know approximatly how manny are going so we can get enough lanes, and who can be there early enough to save some lanes.

Side topic... you guys go out anywhere into the desert to shoot?

Some workmates were planning to go to Table Mesa this weekend but it turns out its now state trust land in which shooting is prohibited.

Side topic... you guys go out anywhere into the desert to shoot?

Some workmates were planning to go to Table Mesa this weekend but it turns out its now state trust land in which shooting is prohibited.

That's been happening a lot. We used to go out to Queen Valley but now there is signs posted every where that say shooting prohibited. Some times we go out to Sycamore, and there's even some places in Casa Grande that are good, but far. Hell back in the day we used to go out to Ellsworth and Ocotillo and shoot, now it's all houses for many miles out there. I much prefer the desert, you can shoot better targets. I have never seen a range that would allow tannerite.

• 2 weeks later...

Im game.

I was kinda-sorta half-way thinking about, thinking about (LOL), flying to Phoenix with my daughter and joining you guys. The weather looks like it will be fine, but hotter'n hell (over 100 in PHX on Saturday). Where is the place you guys are talking about going?

If we go, I'd probably fly in to Deer Valley and rent a car. It's two and a half hour flight or so (guessing), so we'd have to get an early start.

What time are you guys planning on going?

Here is where we are proposing.

I'm not off work until 8:30/9am so expecting me any earlier than 10am is out of the question.

But I am not sure when the others want to show up.

As for the weather they say its gonna be 100 but I highly doubt it will feel like 100 if it even gets that high.

I'm not off work until 8:30/9am so expecting me any earlier than 10am is out of the question.

As for the weather they say its gonna be 100 but I highly doubt it will feel like 100 if it even gets that high.

Thanks for the cool map! It looks like Falcon Field would be a shit-load closer than Deer Valley.

What about the gun range? Is it open to the public, or do we have to be invited guests? Is it set up for just for simple target shooting or do they have some kind of tactical setups as well? Just wondering. I have never been to an outdoor public shooting range like that before.

Now that I have cancer, I have more incentive to do fun shit with my daughter than I had before. Before, I'd look at things like this and say to myself, "Sounds like fun, but it's just not practical." Now, I say, "Fuck it, let's go!"

LOL

Thanks for the cool map! It looks like Falcon Field would be a shit-load closer than Deer Valley.

What about the gun range? Is it open to the public, or do we have to be invited guests? Is it set up for just for simple target shooting or do they have some kind of tactical setups as well? Just wondering. I have never been to an outdoor public shooting range like that before.

Now that I have cancer, I have more incentive to do fun shit with my daughter than I had before. Before, I'd look at things like this and say to myself, "Sounds like fun, but it's just not practical." Now, I say, "Fuck it, let's go!"

LOL

Its public. $7 all day for the general range which is up to 300 yards. They also have a High Power range, some practical bays for pistol and shotgun, and a Trap course. Nothing really tactical.

LOL

Its public. $7 all day for the general range which is up to 300 yards. They also have a High Power range, some practical bays for pistol and shotgun, and a Trap course. Nothing really tactical.

OK cool. Here's the deal with us...

Today is my daughter's 16th BD. So, Saturday is kinda-sorta for her. If she wants to go, we'll be there. If she'd rather do something else, then we won't. It sounds like fun to me, but she may rather go do 16 year-old teenage girl stuff. We've been shooting quite a bit lately. I have no clue what she wants to do. I'll let you know for sure before Saturday.

That would be cool, hope you can make it Bounce. I don't think it will be 100 this weekend though. It has cooled off quite a bit over the last couple weeks. If a bunch of people want to go, I will drag my ass out of bed and get there early, if not than I'll meet you there around 9:30 or 10 Camon.

That would be cool, hope you can make it Bounce. I don't think it will be 100 this weekend though. It has cooled off quite a bit over the last couple weeks. If a bunch of people want to go, I will drag my ass out of bed and get there early, if not than I'll meet you there around 9:30 or 10 Camon.

OK here's the deal... I flight planned the route and it will only take me 1+48 to get there. Shit, that's easy. A hop a skip and a jump. No big deal at all.

However, my daughter has a SAT test on Saturday. So, if I come it will be alone.

What are you guys going to be shooting? I assume the Saigas. Anything else? I was thinking about my S-12, my LWRC .223 and my Glock. I have to be back in the air by no later than 4:00 or so (preferable earlier). So, I'd only spend a couple of hours there, but that would be enough.

I want to see if I can talk my wife or my brother in-law into coming with me.

If you stop by the airport, this is my airplane - I'll be close:

scaled_2817_800x533_330291-cj6a__ok.jpg

That's a cool plane. The more the merrier, use your powers of persuasion. I plan on bringing my Mosin, 1911, probably my POS revolver and what ever Saiga is ready. I need a buttstock for the 12 and my X39 is still out being refinished, so hopefully at least one of them.

bounce, I thought you were a crazy mofo, but seeing the plane in particular that you are driving, well, now I know yer a nut! those suckers have a monster under the "hood".

Yeah, it's a big-ass 9 cylinder radial and it's a pretty fast airplane too (190 mph or so).

I'm having trouble finding someone who wants to come with me (everyone seems to have plans), so I'm thinking of just coming down myself.

So it's looking like around 10 to 10:30 and there will be about 4 or 5 of us. Bounce will be landing around 10 or so and I will pick him up so we should get to Rio pretty quickly. Sound good? No rush Camon.

Sounds good to me. Zen has not given me a for sure yea or nay for Saturday, but unless something urgent happens I plan on being there.

OK, I found someone to go with me. Unless something goes bad wrong, we're planning on being on the ground there at or before 10:00. Falcon field it is and thanks to the hopping1 for the ride. That's a big help.

Well we made it out to the range around 10:15, but it was packed so we decided to hit the desert and play around out there instead. It was a little warm, but a fun day none the less. Thanks for showing up Bounce and Jose. It was nice to meet you both.

Thanks Jon, it was a great day.

We had a great flight back.

Thanks to you and Frank for everything.

Great day.

Here's a pic of the back of my head on the flight home.

I'm kind of surprised how much hair I have on the back of my head after all that chemo - lol

It's looking pretty damned nasty though.

PHXflight.jpg

Here's another one from when I had hair - lol

Jesycapic.jpg

Edited by Bounce12

Well we made it out to the range around 10:15, but it was packed so we decided to hit the desert and play around out there instead. It was a little warm, but a fun day none the less. Thanks for showing up Bounce and Jose. It was nice to meet you both.

I was going to hit the range today...but those couple of inches of snow stopped me.....

I was going to hit the range today...but those couple of inches of snow stopped me.....

Ya, I guess that's one of the perks of living in a state that has summers that reach 120+ degrees. The winter makes up for the 6 month long summers though. It's probably equally as shitty to go shooting in the snow, as it is to go in the blistering heat, but I wouldn't know. We don't get any snow here in Phoenix, and I consider 40 degrees freezing cold.

Ya, I guess that's one of the perks of living in a state that has summers that reach 120+ degrees. The winter makes up for the 6 month long summers though. It's probably equally as shitty to go shooting in the snow, as it is to go in the blistering heat, but I wouldn't know. We don't get any snow here in Phoenix, and I consider 40 degrees freezing cold.

Actually I like shooting in the snow, seems "quieter" for some reason. As for the 120 degrees part I'm pretty sure I would combust at that temperature. Last January it hit -18 up the camp I was at. Was a bit nippy that morning. 40 I could do in a t-shirt if I was doing something like shooting ;)