Finally!!! I'm a first time Saiga owner

Two month's ago I had never heard Saiga rifles, that is until my father bought one.He kept going on and on about it. Changed the hand guard, new stock, added this or that. I'm no stranger to guys, but not a fanatic either. Never heard of them before. Last month my dad took me out shooting. Broke out this new gun.. I was hooked first time shooting. Living in California I thought all the fun guns got banned long ago. I was never an AK fan but seeing one dressed in Tacticool.. well One afternoon shooting, a weekend of reading up on the gun and I had to have one.

P9280050.jpg[/img]

before

PA010057.jpg

and after.

Yes the FCG is missing in the last pic. I have yet to find a BB I like and so to be legal leaving it in a non firing state. I did put about 200 rounds of Wolf through her, can't wait to get back to the range.

She is dimpled and has the gas tube vents.

Like a proud papa I had to show her off a bit with the Saiga crowd.

Edited by FoT

Two month's ago I had never heard Saiga rifles, that is until my father bought one.He kept going on and on about it. Changed the hand guard, new stock, added this or that. I'm no stranger to guys, but not a fanatic either. Never heard of them before. Last month my dad took me out shooting. Broke out this new gun.. I was hooked first time shooting. Living in California I though all the fun guns got banned long ago. One afternoon shooting, a weekend of reading up on the gun and I had to have one.P9280050.jpg[/img] before

PA010057.jpg

and after.

Yes the FCG is missing in the last pic. I have yet to find a BB I like and so to be legal leaving it in a non firing state. I did put about 200 rounds of Wolf through her, can't wait to get back to the range.

Ok my before picture didn't show up, but we all know what they look like stock right?..lol

Two month's ago I had never heard Saiga rifles, that is until my father bought one.He kept going on and on about it. Changed the hand guard, new stock, added this or that. I'm no stranger to guys, but not a fanatic either. Never heard of them before. Last month my dad took me out shooting. Broke out this new gun.. I was hooked first time shooting. Living in California I thought all the fun guns got banned long ago. I was never an AK fan but seeing one dressed in Tacticool.. well One afternoon shooting, a weekend of reading up on the gun and I had to have one. P9280050.jpg

before

PA010057.jpg

and after.

There ya go. I fixed it for you. :ph34r:

Welcome to the addiction!

Edited by TR Young
  • Like 1

I like the stock/PG setup... Not sure what it is, but def. looks Warsaw Pact! I also like the sight... Is that trijiicon with magnifier?

I heard not so good things about that side mount, that's why I went with my EOTech on the top front rail above my vertical foregrip.

Let us know how that setup zeros, and if it holds, K?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Saiga!

Oh, and I see you're a Steelers fan-

I'm sorry.

Edited by bohound
  • Like 1

Looks great...Can you break it down all pieces added for us new guys.... :rolleyes:

Sure thing.

ATI Ak/mak 90 Fiberforce stock (ditched the hand quards)

TAPCO INTRAFUSE TRI-RAIL hand rail

Cheaper then dirt side mount scope rail

Barisk laser dot with Aimpoint 3x magnifier.

Leopold(sp?) folding bi-pod

Tippman(SP?) red dot laser

Winchester LED flashlight

Looks great...Can you break it down all pieces added for us new guys.... :rolleyes:

Sure thing.

ATI Ak/mak 90 Fiberforce stock (ditched the hand quards)

TAPCO INTRAFUSE TRI-RAIL hand rail

Cheaper then dirt side mount scope rail

Barisk laser dot with Aimpoint 3x magnifier.

Leopold(sp?) folding bi-pod

Tippman(SP?) red dot laser

Winchester LED flashlight

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

I like the stock/PG setup... Not sure what it is, but def. looks Warsaw Pact! I also like the sight... Is that trijiicon with magnifier?

I heard not so good things about that side mount, that's why I went with my EOTech on the top front rail above my vertical foregrip.

Let us know how that setup zeros, and if it holds, K?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Saiga!

Oh, and I see you're a Steelers fan-

I'm sorry.

The stock is dragunov style. I really like the PSl look so wanted to copy some of that with my gun.

As for the side mount this unit was on my dads gun for awhile with no major zeroing issues. It's far better the the dust cover style. The laser dot has spent time on a few of my guns, been impressed with it, for being a lower end product. I hear good things about the front rail flip up systems, but didn't have the money to spend on something like that. I had to balance that fine line between quality and price..

And Hell yea I'm a Steelers fan. No need to feel sorry for the 6 time world champs ;)

Congrats and welcome!! It is truly an addiction! I had only planned on my first one (223) then came the 7.62x39, then came the .308....waiting for the funds for the 12 gauge and the 16" 308 to go with the 22"308. Scary!!

Ok all, Range report. I put @ 300 rounds of Wolf through her. Scope lost zero once in the first 20 rounds, re tightened and re-zeroed. Never moved after that. I kinda like this set up so probably won't be in a rush to upgrade. Bi pod worked good. I took it off while shooting standing up as it added a bit too much weight to the front of the gun.

Such a fun gun to shoot.

FoT,

Your rifle looks great! Nice work.

I'm fairly new to the Saiga too. And, yes, by the way...you will most likely be getting another one soon.

In short, this shooting platform is rugged, reliable, and most importantly (for me) customizable. But, beware...the multiple caliber offerings for the Saiga can quickly turn a minor interest into a bit of an "addiction". =^)

If you decide you have to get another one, my advice is to think about the particular round(s) you already shoot or want to shoot, and then go with a barrel length that makes sense for your personal preference and/or use. For instance, if you're looking for a medium-range target rifle, go with a 20" barreled rifle. If you're looking for a short-ranged HD rifle, then go with a 16" barreled rifle. Also, keep in mind what kind of other rifles you have in your gun case/safe too. Getting a Saiga that shares ammo will allow you to buy ammo for more than just one rifle.

As a side note, I've been looking at getting a retro-fit gas piston system for my AR-15 for some time now. However, these systems cost anywhere from $300-$600...and that's just the piston kit, before you add a handguard quad rail. So, when all is said and done, I'd be looking at darn near $800-$1K for such an upgrade. Yes, one day (once/if prices start to fall), I'll probably do this. But, today, I can't justify it.

Alternatively, I can get a piston-driven .223 Saiga rifle for under $400! Another couple C-notes for the conversion parts and some nice mods, and I've got myself a customized 'piston gun' I can rely on when the going gets rough. And, if it never comes to that, I still have a rifle that's a joy to shoot, and one that's a snap to clean at the end of my day at the range.

What more can you ask for in a rifle...at least at this price?

Finally, if you haven't looked at the Saiga 12 yet...take a look. It's another GREAT Saiga rifle.

Happy shooting!

Cheers,

alaj70