Play in gas tube

I noticed that there is a little play in my gas tube. I have not noticed this before, but it could have always been present. I have fired about 1300 rnds through the saiga 12 so far. Is this slight wiggle normal? Has it been known to cause accuracy issues due to the fact that the rear sight is connected to the gas tube? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

the rear sight block is pinned to the barrel so it will not move do to a loose gastube.

On the Saiga 12 the rear sight is not pinned to the barrel. It has a tab that fits a slot on the trunnion and is held in place with the gas block. You might try and wood block the gas block and give it a few taps towards the receiver and see if it may move enough to tighten up a little.

I've got one with the same issue. It's still loose but I haven't dug too deep because my plan is to SBS it. Both the top cover and the gas tube have play. In addition the front gas block is canted to the side a bit. It's a mess. Here's a post I had back when I discovered my was loose...

Link

edited link

Edited by sunnybean

I've got one with the same issue. It's still loose but I haven't dug too deep because my plan is to SBS it. Both the top cover and the gas tube have play. In addition the front gas block is canted to the side a bit. It's a mess. Here's a post I had back when I discovered my was loose...

Link

edited link

I am beginning to think that this is normal. Another example of loose tolerances.

Link

edited link

I am beginning to think that this is normal. Another example of loose tolerances.

I don't know about "normal", but it does seem to somewhat common. I just checked mine, it's tight with no movement, and my top cover is not barely hanging on, it sits almost flush with the rear sight block, almost fully seated in the notch. Thank God. Mine has enough problems reliably cycling low-brass lately, (mostly due to swapping out the gas puck I think), I didn't need another bullshit factory problem to deal with.

However, once I read this thread, I called my Dad to have him check his gun.. and lo and behold, since the last time he took the gun out to shoot clays, it has developed some movement in the gas tube/rsb. It's not as bad as sunnybean's, but it definitely has some play to it now. He hasn't even fired that many shells through it.. maybe 150 total.

My gun, on the other hand, I've probably fired 500 shells through, and my tube doesn't move. I guess his just came from the factory pre-fucked-up.

I love the design and all, but damn it, is some quality control and consistency too much to ask of Izhmash?! :evil:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I think, I have a really simple solution. I put drops of red locktite between the gas tube and the reciever. Once it dried, there is no more play. The red locktite seemed to fill in the space beteen the gas tube and the reciever. I don't know how this will hold up under live fire, but will find out.

the gas tube on S-12 is just a guide/cover for the bolt carrier extension. If it is loose, it doesn't hurt anything. I would recommend a drop of Brownell's black locktite if you find it annoying.

I have the krebs ghost ring setup on my S-12, and also noticed this issue. At first I blamed myself for some of the abusive things I did to the gun... I mean it could have been me bashing at it with a hammer removing the stock rear sight, Maybe it could have been me dumping high brass 00 buck 10 rounds at a time as gas setting 2, maybe is was me pounding it muzzle first into wooden and metal doors testing my warthog...

Then I had a few hundred rounds through it today.

Its tight again :smoke:

No wood block, no thread locker... god i love this gun... nothings perfect, but theres definitly nothing wrong! :up:

I have the krebs ghost ring setup on my S-12, and also noticed this issue. At first I blamed myself for some of the abusive things I did to the gun... I mean it could have been me bashing at it with a hammer removing the stock rear sight, Maybe it could have been me dumping high brass 00 buck 10 rounds at a time as gas setting 2, maybe is was me pounding it muzzle first into wooden and metal doors testing my warthog...

Then I had a few hundred rounds through it today.

Its tight again :smoke:

No wood block, no thread locker... god i love this gun... nothings perfect, but theres definitly nothing wrong! :up:

Yes, they are tougher than hell... thank God. It helps make up for notable lack of manufacturing consistency in these shotguns.

I have put about 500 shells through my gun, and the top cover locks into place securely with no movement whatsoever in the rsb/gas tube.

Then there's my Dad's S-12. In some ways, she seems to fit together a bit better, (fewer internal wear marks), and yet her gas tube/rsb has come a bit loose after only ~150 shells.

God bless the general Kalashnikov design and God damn the nearly non-existent QC of Izhmash.

Edited by post-apocalyptic