Working on my first Saiga 5.45 x 39 conversion today!

Yay! I finally completed my Saiga collection!:super: LOL! Yeah I know, why do I keep saying that every time? By "complete", I mean now I've got at least one of every shotgun gauge and rifle caliber...not counting the ought six cause I just have no interest in owning one of those fugly bitches.... :lolol:

Well I picked it up from the gun shop yesterday. Got it from a fellow board member, just like most of my other Saigas. The PG conversion was already done on it, but I'm gonna take it from there and add my own touch to it.:smoke:

Pics to follow....

Be sure to post pics!

Yay! I finally completed my Saiga collection!:super: LOL! Yeah I know, why do I keep saying that every time? By "complete", I mean now I've got at least one of every shotgun gauge and rifle caliber...not counting the ought six cause I just have no interest in owning one of those fugly bitches.... :lolol:

Think of the possibilities.....

post-3401-12551147968674_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for your details so I have an idea what I'm gonna do! Got my IZ-240 about two weeks ago, and am trying to decide just how "gonzo!" I'm gonna go on the conversion! Already picked up a Tapco SAW pistol grip, (thanks concretus!), and am looking for other conversion parts!

Alright here she is! Sorry it took so long.....been changing my 7.62x39 around again at the same time...

First I stripped it down and removed the DIY TG that was on it.

post-1293-12551448075059_thumb.jpg

I cut off, drilled, re-bent a factory Saiga TG from another conversion, and riveted it to the receiver in front and back.

post-1293-12551450819105_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12551451064674_thumb.jpg

Then I had to remove the FSB and GB so I could install an AK HG retainer. These new guns are a pain in the ass to do this with, because you can't just drive out the cross pins and press off the parts, like it used to be....

Now you have to drill out the dimples in the sides of the GB & FSB, where they have been pressed in with a machine to hold them in place. In fact, with the GB you still have to out the pin that retains the factory HG at the front, then drill the dimples, and press off the parts. Even with the dimples drilled, it still takes some serious pressure to get them off....so the ol hammer and wood block shortcut is a thing of the past....

I don't like to drill into the barrel so I only drill most of the way through the GB / FSB....just enough to weaken it so it will pop out when pressed off.

post-1293-1255146016256_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12551459533172_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12551458451978_thumb.jpg

Then I had to cut a notch for the second cross pin in the 90 degree GB I replaced the other one with. (I could have used the same one over again if I wanted to patch up those fugly holes....) I also wanted the bayo lug though, so I just got a new one.

I measured from the one existing notch to get them the same distance apart. I just eyeballed it straight and level.

post-1293-12551467897489_thumb.jpg

Fortunately, unlike my .223 and 7.62x39....the barrel on the 5.45 was already notched on the sides for the HG retainer stabilizer bars.:super:

That's a huge plus....Still I had to cut the notch in the top though, for the locking cam to seat in.

post-1293-12551471905981_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12551472134825_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12551472427334_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12551474348769_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Alright, so after fitting the old school Russian AK lower HG to the receiver for a super tight fit, I locked it in place with the HG retainer by locking the cam into my precisely ground notch in the barrel.

Then it was time to install the new gas block.

post-1293-12551487425683_thumb.jpg

About this time, I started doing more working and less picture taking so.....lol....

• Like 2

Got the GB put back on straight and pinned into place, hiding those fugly holes from the old pressed on one.

Reinstalled the FSB too...after doing a little cosmetic work on it from where it had been roughed up some by the previous installer.

Carefully lined it up straight so the sights were not canted.

Installed the upper HG on a real AK-74 gas tube, with built in retainers....put that on and filed the top rear portion slightly to fit it.

Beer....

• Like 3

Trimmed the BHO and put it and the FCG back in the gun. (After putting a sweet tuneup and polish on the hammer, sear, and disconnect :smoke:)

Installed the Russian wood PG with PG bushing and long PG bolt.

Fitted and installed a Romy laminated AK stock that's been stained red to try and match the Russian PG and HGs as close as possible for now....eventually I'll be putting a Russian laminate 74 stock on it with the lightening cuts in the sides.

Installed the Krebs Custom 74 brake and indexed it to the detent in the FSB. Test fitted my Bulgie AK -74 Bayo and took some pics!

Gun PRON!:wub:

:super:

Me likes the new addition to the Saiga family!

Before....

post-1293-12551501479638_thumb.jpg

After....

post-1293-12551500493215_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12551500744178_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12551501188348_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys.

No I bought the stock from one of the regulars on gunsnet....AK- Nut maybe?

The PG and HGs are original Russian laminate from the '50s. They REALLY come alive in sunlight.

• Like 2

Getting ready to go out back and shoot it. I hope it lives up to what I've been hearing about these rifles.

:smoke:

Hopefully it will out shoot your 5.45x39 AR-15 :ph34r:

Don't forget to let us know if it marks the brass like the 7.62x39 does.

Well I'm pretty impressed so far...It did pretty good for just resting on sandbags on a couple of hay bales. I went down there with one 30 rd mag and scope I used to use on my .223 Saiga. Quickly got the scope dialed in on paper from 25 yds, then backed up to 50 yds and shot the rest of the mag out. Made a few adjustments to it while I was shooting. Now I think it's pretty damn close. Next time I'll take more ammo and see how it does at 75 & 100 yds.

The ammo was Bulgie surplus FMJ with 50 gr bullets.

post-1293-12552074996304_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12552075580074_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12552075995086_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12552076197629_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Getting ready to go out back and shoot it. I hope it lives up to what I've been hearing about these rifles.

I looked at some spent cases and verified that it does indeed mark the "brass" a little....not near as much as I've seen with my other Saiga rifles though.

• Like 1

I looked at some spent cases and verified that it does indeed mark the "brass" a little....not near as much as I've seen with my other Saiga rifles though.

You know what I'm talking about. All AK variants dent the case, but that's not what I'm asking about. It's if it marks the case like the .223 and 7.62? You know, the neck bulge or the case head ring? That's what I'm asking about. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Frosty

Thanks bro. Can't wait to start building stuff like that for the members here. Getting ready to get my FFL as soon as this cancer shit's out of the way.

Yeah I bought that grip with another matching one, along with the matching 1950's era Russian laminate HGs, from an old timer on one of the big AK forums. Some day I'll find a deal on a nice red laminate stock with the lightening cuts, to put on there and finish the project with style.

It will look like this when finished...

post-1293-12555339101429_thumb.jpg

Here's what I did with the other grip....it's on my S-20 conversion.....

post-1293-12555337265385_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12555341419881_thumb.jpg