AK47 Magazine Fit In Saiga 7.62

I just modified the mag release on my 7.62 to accept mil surplus AK 47 magazines. I have little to no point of reference for AK's or Saiga's so here goes.

With the bolt held all the way back, the AK mag fully inserted and held snug up against the base of the mag release housing on the receiver, I have approximately 1/32 in. clearance between the bottom of the angled tab on the back of the magazine and the top of the magazine release lever. So how much "slop" is allowable? (I guess a little side to side in normal from what I've read here.) Do I stop now? Am I trying to hard to get a precision fit? They appear to feed fine. I just need a little guidance, so I know when to stop "adjusting":rolleyes: the fit. Any help is appreciated!

Once the rifle's mag latch *pops* into position at the bottom of the magazine's rear locking tab, you're done (it doesn't even have to *pop* into place, so long as it gets under the tab enough to hold it in position).

Any more grinding and the mag will bounce up and down.

I just modified the mag release on my 7.62 to accept mil surplus AK 47 magazines. I have little to no point of reference for AK's or Saiga's so here goes.

With the bolt held all the way back, the AK mag fully inserted and held snug up against the base of the mag release housing on the receiver, I have approximately 1/32 in. clearance between the bottom of the angled tab on the back of the magazine and the top of the magazine release lever. So how much "slop" is allowable? (I guess a little side to side in normal from what I've read here.) Do I stop now? Am I trying to hard to get a precision fit? They appear to feed fine. I just need a little guidance, so I know when to stop "adjusting":rolleyes: the fit. Any help is appreciated!

HOW many types of mags do you have. i tested mine on different types. at first i did not do it enough. some mags clicked in and some did not allow the catch to sit against the body. also at first the mag catch was tight so it was hard to release the mag. you don't want any of that. if all your mags click in and release with ease and your factory mag fits snug and feeds, your good. my factory saiga mag is still the snuggest fitting mag. u want to file with a half circle file to allow for a crescent moon shape in you catch. it leaves the back side of the catch high enough to catch the tab while allowing room for the depth. hope this helps.

Once the rifle's mag latch *pops* into position at the bottom of the magazine's rear locking tab, you're done (it doesn't even have to *pop* into place, so long as it gets under the tab enough to hold it in position).

Any more grinding and the mag will bounce up and down.

i disagree with the last statement. if i left my catch like that some mags would be very hard to remove. especially quickly.

Well I have 3 flavors; poly's from Poland, and Romanian, with a CTDrt* 10 round "hacked" POS steel Chinese (at least in a previous life) thrown ion for good measure........ *(Read this as I won't buy these alleged "Made in USA" mag's again.) They all "click" but the only point of contact is at the rear of the magazine, is the bottom part of the "U" shape of the mag release tab. No sides of the "U" shape of the mag release contacts the magazine tab. So that's where I'm getting more "side to side" slop. (By "U" shape, think looking from the top down on to the mag release.)

So if I read your comments right, they are not anything close to a precision fit. My Saiga factory mag will now have to be modified by adding additional material to the bottom of the rear tab to allow it to lock up using the reworked factory mag catch.

Well I have 3 flavors; poly's from Poland, and Romanian, with a CTDrt* 10 round "hacked" POS steel Chinese (at least in a previous life) thrown ion for good measure........ *(Read this as I won't buy these alleged "Made in USA" mag's again.) They all "click" but the only point of contact is at the rear of the magazine, is the bottom part of the "U" shape of the mag release tab. No sides of the "U" shape of the mag release contacts the magazine tab. So that's where I'm getting more "side to side" slop. (By "U" shape, think looking from the top down on to the mag release.)

So if I read your comments right, they are not anything close to a precision fit. My Saiga factory mag will now have to be modified by adding additional material to the bottom of the rear tab to allow it to lock up using the reworked factory mag catch.

damn that sounds like u took to much off. some people have replaced the catch without to much trouble. there are some threads on replacing one. also you could have some material welded back on to the catch and refile. do you have a bullet guide?

I filed just my Mags and not the catch as I don't plan on 'SHARING' if SHTF, and if I need more than 180 rounds in 6 mags or so I should be RUNNING >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...... 007.gif

Maybe I'll just buy a drum or two at the show up in the Poconos next month.... hmmmm.022.gif

If there is 200 coming at me I figure 65% will be at least wounded or re-thinking why they are after me. 005.gif

I may re-think this mag-catch filing in the coming months but... I'm good at the moment.

I filed just my Mags and not the catch as I don't plan on 'SHARING' if SHTF, and if I need more than 180 rounds in 6 mags or so I should be RUNNING >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...... 007.gif

Maybe I'll just buy a drum or two at the show up in the Poconos next month.... hmmmm.022.gif

If there is 200 coming at me I figure 65% will be at least wounded or re-thinking why they are after me. 005.gif

I may re-think this mag-catch filing in the coming months but... I'm good at the moment.

I'm more with Nalioth on this one - modding the mag catch is easy and then all AK mags fit - just makes sense to me.

nalioth recomends it. and i think it's the only way to go. i had to think it out myself then went with the catch. i'm glad i did. plus if you have other ak's your good across the board.

Nalioth is right.

But you do have to file the latching surface flat! If it is crooked or at a funky angle it will hang up causing the hard to remove mag.

If you file flat just to the point described by Nalioth, it will be tight, fit all mags (not Tapco's) and release fine.

That's my experience.

Remember, all good comrades use plenty oil in Avtomats! (that's what the damn huge oil bottles for!)

:ph34r:

JRP, I like the slight radius on the trailing edge. I did my tabs perpendicular to the mag release face. I get good body contact. And by adding a little of the JB Weld to the bottom of the factory mag, it now fits snug also. I was just really concerned about the fit being to sloppy. I just didn't want to cause the damn thing not to go into battery because of a magazine malfunction. That's why the question as to "play". But I guess with an AK/Saiga what's a 1/32" amongst friends.....

Since I'm the "PRC" I love to hate you guys who talk about drum magazines. (I guess I could make one but it would still be limited to 10 rounds:nonono:) I like the poly mag's for use at my local ranges so the RM's and any errant CALDoJ agents can "see" the block installed limiting the 30's to 10. But maybe someday, while outside of Calif........ Oh to dream.

JRP, I like the slight radius on the trailing edge. I did my tabs perpendicular to the mag release face. I get good body contact. And by adding a little of the JB Weld to the bottom of the factory mag, it now fits snug also. I was just really concerned about the fit being to sloppy. I just didn't want to cause the damn thing not to go into battery because of a magazine malfunction. That's why the question as to "play". But I guess with an AK/Saiga what's a 1/32" amongst friends.....

Since I'm the "PRC" I love to hate you guys who talk about drum magazines. (I guess I could make one but it would still be limited to 10 rounds:nonono:) I like the poly mag's for use at my local ranges so the RM's and any errant CALDoJ agents can "see" the block installed limiting the 30's to 10. But maybe someday, while outside of Calif........ Oh to dream.

Holy Shite I couldnt imagine not being able to hold 30+ rounds of explosive death just waiting to pop.. Hence why I will N E V E R live in CA.. Sorry man, that just sucks.. OH and I chose to file the mags individually.. 2 reasons - 1. Gives me something to do in my spare time & a reason to be one with my Saiga - 2. Ive stock piled enough mags to serve at least a fireteam and want them all to myself when the Z's are roaming the streets..

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Shite I couldnt imagine not being able to hold 30+ rounds of explosive death just waiting to pop.. Hence why I will N E V E R live in CA.. Sorry man, that just sucks.. OH and I chose to file the mags individually.. 2 reasons - 1. Gives me something to do in my spare time & a reason to be one with my Saiga - 2. Ive stock piled enough mags to serve at least a fireteam and want them all to myself when the Z's are roaming the streets..

actually in California, it's legal to own high cap mags, just illegal to buy or sell 'em. So you can still buy them out of state and bring them in, or if you ever wanted to move to Cali u could bring your mags with you.

actually in California, it's legal to own high cap mags, just illegal to buy or sell 'em. So you can still buy them out of state and bring them in,

You can only buy replacement parts from outside the state. Importing any new (to the state) magazine over 10 rounds is a crime.

With the bolt held all the way back, the AK mag fully inserted and held snug up against the base of the mag release housing on the receiver, I have approximately 1/32 in. clearance between the bottom of the angled tab on the back of the magazine and the top of the magazine release lever. So how much "slop" is allowable? (I guess a little side to side in normal from what I've read here.) Do I stop now? Am I trying to hard to get a precision fit? They appear to feed fine. I just need a little guidance, so I know when to stop "adjusting"rolleyes.gif the fit. Any help is appreciated!

HOW many types of mags do you have. i tested mine on different types. at first i did not do it enough. some mags clicked in and some did not allow the catch to sit against the body. also at first the mag catch was tight so it was hard to release the mag. you don't want any of that. if all your mags click in and release with ease and your factory mag fits snug and feeds, your good. my factory saiga mag is still the snuggest fitting mag. u want to file with a half circle file to allow for a crescent moon shape in you catch. it leaves the back side of the catch high enough to catch the tab while allowing room for the depth. hope this helps.

I've filed my Romanian mags down and they fit fine instead of the mag. catch. Only took a couple of hours to be sure. A good file and some time.018.gif

actually in California, it's legal to own high cap mags, just illegal to buy or sell 'em. So you can still buy them out of state and bring them in, or if you ever wanted to move to Cali u could bring your mags with you.

You cannot "import" Hi cap mags unless your a LEO. If you move to California you must disassemble your mags then convert to 10 rounds or less.

The only LEGAL way to get hi caps is if they were in the state before 2000 and you move back. Then you can bring them with you. Re build kits are 100% legal to build up into 10 or less or to REBUILD your legally obtained mags.

Now here's the funny part. That law has a 3 year statute of limitations. So even if the police found your illegal mags with a reciept. They can only prosocute if they can prove it was a recent purchase.