Saiga Mags That Actually Work

I have a Saiga .223 that came with 30rd Magazines made by ProMag. I have fired it a few times and the rifle fires great until it gets down to the last three rounds in the mag and then fails to feed properly. It appeared that the spring was incapable of pushing the round high enough for it to make it up the ramp. I removed the spring and stretched it out, but it did not help. My question is, is this a common problem with these aftermarket mags made by Promag? Are there different mags I can buy that wont have this problem?

If your stuck with them like I am, I think you can help to improve them. The body shape aside (they use an AK74 body). The built in bullet guide is to tall and not shaped to help with feeding the .223. Please refer to my post that I did when I had H1N1, stuck at home for a week.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=45852

You should see how I moded my ProMag .223 mag to feed correctly. You must understand the thin "wall" of plastic they put in front of the feed area is to abrupt and to tall. I filed it down added feed channels (like an AR feed ramp) and tested. Try a stock mag in your rifle with cover off and bolt/carrier out. You will see the feed is way more than you need. With such an abrupt feed and a weak spring with the last rounds, this may help. I know the AK74 mag will have problems feeding the last rounds in .223. Brian at Dinzag states this in his "Mags for .223" section on his web site.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/223_mag_options.pdf

Surefire are far superior to ProMag's. Stick with them, but if your stuck, like me, give it a try.

Frosty

Don't forget to use much oil in your Avtomat, Comrade!

The IMI steel galil mags fit like a glove, but you need a bullet guide, and they're more expensive than a Surefire and harder to find.Since I'm not planning on starting a war, one Surefire, shoot 30 rounds, then reload it allowing your barrel to cool and retain some semblance of accuracy...

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could install a mag adapter from one of our buisness members that will allow you use AR15/M16 mags that can be bought at a lower price. Then you will have the straight insert/drop free that can be bought for less.

A forum contributor makes them to order, as well.