bullet guide despair

Some may recall that I broke off the tap in my 7.62x39's bullet guide hole. I've temporarily set that one aside, while working on my wife's 5.45x39. I drilled the bullet guide hole today, and ran the tap through it, thankfully without incident this time. But the screw wouldn't go into the hole; it was too tight. So I ran the tap all the way through again. I got the screw in a bit further, but not really far at all, before it got tight and stopped.

What's the secret to getting this right? I'm using an 8-32 tap, and Dinzag's bullet guide and screw. If I can get past this, I'll be on the downhill run. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

is the screw 8/32? put the screw tip to tip see if they look like the same diameter. then go past the tips and see if the thread match. if they are the same the thread pitch will match. and they will fit nicely together. you may have an 8/24 screw. that is the easy start.

is the screw 8/32? put the screw tip to tip see if they look like the same diameter. then go past the tips and see if the thread match. if they are the same the thread pitch will match. and they will fit nicely together. you may have an 8/24 screw. that is the easy start.

The bullet guide kit came with an 8-32 tap, but I used the one (also 8-32) that came with my tap wrench that has a screw driver handle, because it's longer and fits the tap wrench better.

The bullet guide kit came with an 8-32 tap, but I used the one (also 8-32) that came with my tap wrench that has a screw driver handle, because it's longer and fits the tap wrench better.

Gotta second TacSat - sounds like a pitch mismatch - either the tap or the screw is not 8/32.

Gotta second TacSat - sounds like a pitch mismatch - either the tap or the screw is not 8/32.

It doesn't seem likely that Dinzag would send out mismatching parts though.

True, it could be the tap you are using is not an 8/32. Just use calipers to compare the pitches of the tap to the screw.

OK, figured it out. The thread lines of the taps I have (the ones that come with the screwdriver handle tap wrench from Sears) taper off rapidly as you approach the tip. So even though you can see the tap protruding from the bottom some, you have to go further to fully thread it. Once you reach the point where the tap turns easily, with no resistance, you're done. So I was able to finally get it done. Now only easy stuff is left! Can't wait to hit the range later this week!

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • 4 weeks later...

True, it could be the tap you are using is not an 8/32. Just use calipers to compare the pitches of the tap to the screw.

OK, figured it out. The thread lines of the taps I have (the ones that come with the screwdriver handle tap wrench from Sears) taper off rapidly as you approach the tip. So even though you can see the tap protruding from the bottom some, you have to go further to fully thread it. Once you reach the point where the tap turns easily, with no resistance, you're done. So I was able to finally get it done. Now only easy stuff is left! Can't wait to hit the range later this week!

Jim

how did the test firing go? I discovered mine didnt like hollow points until I smoothed the edge of the bullet guide a little

how did the test firing go? I discovered mine didnt like hollow points until I smoothed the edge of the bullet guide a little

I didn't even know you could find hollow points for the 5.45.

The gun fires absolutely flawlessly. I'm very pleased with it, and so is my wife. (I bought this gun for her).

Jim,

Target photos!? What to see how accurate the Saiga 5.45x39 is.

Thanks

Frosty

I haven't taken any photos yet, but the gun is capable of great accuracy, especially, in my case, when using a red dot. I'm not a particularly good shot when using AK open sights (I prefer aperture sights), although hopefully that will change. I didn't shoot much with the red dot, but I got a 7 shot group a bit over half an inch in size at 25 yards. That would be less than 3 inches at 100 yards, and, as I said on another forum, I think I could do better still with a sling.