Does a mag-well exist for us 7.62er's?

It seems like I've seen an (extended) magwell on a 7.62x39 before, but I can't remember where. :unsure:

Regardless, they're not nearly as advantageous/desirable on AK rifles as they are on Saiga-12's. It's not exactly difficult to load a full mil-spec 7.62x39 mag on a closed bolt. ;)

Still, if anyone has info on these, I'd be interested to learn about em.

Do you guys even know what a mag well is for?

Do you guys even know how they work?

A mag well for a traditional caliber AK type rifle is for those people who run their competitions and need every split second they can get to achieve victory.

This comes at a cost - you have to use specially modified magazines with the mag well (this means, any mag that you use with a mag well is "useless' in any other standard AK). You also have to heavily modify the rifle they run in, which makes it useless without the mag well (and the specially modified mags).

Krebs device wasn't a "mag well", but more of a "mag guide", as it didn't change how the mags seat, it just gave you a funnel to hit the hole more quickly.

The mag wells for .223 Saigas are a whole 'nother kettle of fish, as they don't change anything on the rifle (you can still use milsurp .223 AK mags in it when the mag well is off) and they use AR15 magazines (so you're not destroying a perfectly good AK mag to use in it).

Gadgets for the sake of gadgets is not a good idea on a fighting rifle.

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 3

Do you guys even know what a mag well is for?

Do you guys even know how they work?

A mag well for a traditional caliber AK type rifle is for those people who run their competitions and need every split second they can get to achieve victory.

This comes at a cost - you have to use specially modified magazines with the mag well (this means, any mag that you use with a mag well is "useless' in any other standard AK). You also have to heavily modify the rifle they run in, which makes it useless without the mag well (and the specially modified mags).

Krebs device wasn't a "mag well", but more of a "mag guide", as it didn't change how the mags seat, it just gave you a funnel to hit the hole more quickly.

The mag wells for .223 Saigas are a whole 'nother kettle of fish, as they don't change anything on the rifle (you can still use milsurp .223 AK mags in it when the mag well is off) and they use AR15 magazines (so you're not destroying a perfectly good AK mag to use in it).

Gadgets for the sake of gadgets is not a good idea on a fighting rifle.

+1

KEEP IT SIMPLE! tacticool stuff to be tacticool is just that. Putting gizmos on to have cool gizmos is not tactically sound. Sure some see it as sport a matches, etc. I see my Saiga 7.62x39 is a serious WEAPON, not a tacticool match gun. The only addition I made, besides restoring it, is a RAM2000 ambidextrous mag release, and a Russian grenade launcher recoil pad for my trashed shoulder.

RetroSaiga.jpg

No batteries, bulbs or lasers to breaks to go dead, no scope to get knocked out of whack, prisms to slip, or lenses to get fogged or broken.

• Like 2

Someone might gain straight insert/drop free reloads with the magwell, but they would be realy limiting themselves on the mags they could use. Would also be more cost. Might be worth it if you have the time, money to spend till you get it right...

I considered doing this before but never tried it.

I wonder how regular AK mags would fit after installing the adapter, and then removing it? How much looser would they be?

the MSA adapter would work with 7.62x39 mags, but it would be a bad decision, IMHO.

Standard AK mags are very reliable and strong. It's one of the AK's biggest advantages over other rifles. They are also inexpensive. Replacing them with some other mag is pointless.

Also, while you can continue to use standard AK mags after installing the MSA (or ORF) adapter, the AK mags will be very loose and I would guess you do lose some reliability.

If you are having trouble with fast and reliable AK mag changes then you just need to practice more. An aftermarket magwell isn't going to make your 7.62x39 AK rifle any better.

• 1 year later...