Some Help Please

Ok here is my situation. I have about $400 to spend and want an AK. I posted this here because I am leaning toward getting a new Saiga x39 and converting it. I do have a few options to choose from. Please let me know what you would do and why.

1. Buy a Saiga x39 and convert it slowly over the next years as funds are available.

2. Buy a used, but good condition, Saiga 308 wood stock for $450 and convert it slowly.

3. Buy a WASR

4. Save up for a Yugo AK.

the saiga is one of the most rewarding experiences ever.. People say "whats that" and your respond oh it's an AK I did some work on, moved the FCG blah blah blah.. You know, all the fun stuff you get to do to customize it.. Plus it's higher quality than most wasr's.. As for .308 or 7.62, go for which one you want.. .308 better for hunting, expensive ammo though.. but it's an added cool factor to have a .308 AK.. at least around here (not website, place I live) people tend to be suprised.. It's always funny when some guy is showing off his extremely low recoil .22 ar15 or ak, and you show up with an AK that took the opposite (and more badass) direction..

If you don't own a 7.62 I'd go for a saiga 7.62 first so you have a fun gun to shoot affordably, and eventually get a .308 for when you feel like being a big spender on ammo to play with MoAs (not as good as say an M1, but not bad) or blast a deer (not that the 7.62 won't do that).

Sorta how I work, the .308s kind of my favorite, but the 7.62 gets more use.

Edited by volkov
  • Like 1

not a bad deal, especially if the scope is genuine.. Don't know enough about scopes really though to say yes or no based on it..

but if your limitted to one rifle and funds are low as you seem to suggest, your still better off with a 7.62 purely because guns you can't afford to fire are less fun

Edited by volkov

I would go for the 7.62. Look around for Deals from venders here, Specials and on Gun Broker.

Be patient. Set a price you want Ex $340 and stick with it Then when you get it you will be

happy with the price and wont kick yourself if a better deal comes along. I just got one on GB

for $329 $30 to ship and $15 for transfer. Figure for these costs as well. You wont be sorry

with The Saiga, any of them. You also have to remember you are getting a brand new rifle.

Ok here is my situation. I have about $400 to spend and want an AK. I posted this here because I am leaning toward getting a new Saiga x39 and converting it. I do have a few options to choose from. Please let me know what you would do and why.

1. Buy a Saiga x39 and convert it slowly over the next years as funds are available.

2. Buy a used, but good condition, Saiga 308 wood stock for $450 and convert it slowly.

3. Buy a WASR

You don't want an AK without a Chrome lined Barrel, do you? Better protection from corrosion & Cleaning is so much easier with chrome. Not that the Yugo's arent good guns, but from what i hear corrosive ammo is hell on them.

If you only have money for one rifle and Im thinking ammo cost is going to be an issue for you go with a 5.45 Saiga. Reason being those will allow you room to buy some ammo and convert the weapon. Check ammo prices though since that is where you will spend the money in the long run.

Go to the 5.45 forum and see what those guys say prices are running at. 5.45 accuracy is better than the x39 ammo and cheaper than anything else. If you had more I would say 308 but that ammo price would kill ya right now.

Edited by Rhodes1968

3. Buy a WASR

You don't want an AK without a Chrome lined Barrel, do you? Better protection from corrosion & Cleaning is so much easier with chrome. Not that the Yugo's arent good guns, but from what i hear corrosive ammo is hell on them.

Corrosive ammo is only bad for those who do not clean their rifles. I have had plenty of surplus rifles that are awesome with corrosive as long as you use a little windex after cleaning. Besides that, there is no reason to buy corrosive ammo anyway when there is plenty of cheap stuff out there right now.

3. Buy a WASR

Corrosive ammo is only bad for those who do not clean their rifles. I have had plenty of surplus rifles that are awesome with corrosive as long as you use a little windex after cleaning. Besides that, there is no reason to buy corrosive ammo anyway when there is plenty of cheap stuff out there right now.

Not to get off topic, but the problem with corrosive ammo is the salts they leave in your gun. You can just use hot water to clean out your gun and it will work the same as windex. Anything with water will do to flush out the gun.

I ended up going with choice number one myself. There's a sense of accomplishment that you get from doing your own work on your gun. It's like a kit that can be shot from day one. Added to that, doing a conversion is relatively simple and doesn't take large amounts of specialty equipment unless you decide to work on the front sight and gas block or add a muzzle device.

Of course, if you don't feel like working on one, you can just save up a couple hundred more and pick up a SGL21-61 from K-Var for 549.

Edited by Jigen

You also have to remember you are getting a brand new rifle.

This. Seriously, all the guns I have are ones from my family, they are great guns and each of them have their own characteristics but I've never owned a brand new rifle until my Saiga. I'm so glad I got my little Russian gun, in 7.62 mind you. I can bum ammo off my SKS friend if I can't find any cheap, and, as stated before it's a kit you can use out of the box. I shot my Saiga for a while before I started converting it, part of it was saving up for the parts but a lot of it had to do with my just having fun with my Saiga and not really needing to convert it.

Well, thanks to this forum I have decided to order a SGL21 in plum. I am working on the paperwork right now and waiting for a response from either kvar or atlantic. I was able to come up with the extra cash and get it already converted to a point that I could never match.

I want to say that I would not have bought this unless it was for this forum. You guys won me over and converted me to a saiga fan. I should be able to place the order by tomorrow or monday.

Well, thanks to this forum I have decided to order a SGL21 in plum. I am working on the paperwork right now and waiting for a response from either kvar or atlantic. I was able to come up with the extra cash and get it already converted to a point that I could never match.

I want to say that I would not have bought this unless it was for this forum. You guys won me over and converted me to a saiga fan. I should be able to place the order by tomorrow or monday.

Great choice and I'm sure you'll love the SGL21. They're absolutely beautiful rifles. You should place your order before Monday though, as they are set to go back up in price that day, (per K-Var's website).