painting my saiga

Ditto on the surface prep.

Everyone seems to have a different theory, the following works for me.... The Saiga's crappy factory paint is a bit rough to begin with, so I find there is seldom a need to sand the whole gun. Making sure the surface is clean and oil free is the first step. Lightly sand any areas with marring or scratches, use the existing factory paint as your primer layer, and apply two or three light coats of Dupicolor low gloss or matte black engine enamel.

Under normal circumstances, each coat will dry to the touch in about 15 minutes. Let one coat dry, then apply the next. Any more than two or (at the max) three coats is wasted paint. The gun should be left to cure for about a day, but in a pinch you can shoot it within a couple of hours if you are careful with the new paint.

If you're like I am, your gun is going to get shot and passed around and will probably get a few dings in the paint here and there. The beauty of Duplicolor is that you can hit those spots with some 200 grit paper, touch them up, and you gun will always look fresh.

Now that I've said this, Azrial is going to tell you I'm full of shit, and that you should use what he uses. Just watch! LMAO!!!

WS

Edited by WaffenSchmied

Surface prep is the key. As long as you strip it to bare metal, rough it up, and degrease thoroughly, even the junkiest of paints will work pretty well.

+1 on metal prep.

Don't be affraid of the high temp BBQ paint from wally world either. It matches the factory color pretty well.

I used Rustoleum textured black also. Just sprayed down all metal parts with gun scrubber in a can after cleaning from shooting and painted. Do the same after shootings when it gets scratched. Blends well and the parts I made were sprayed with it also after cleaning.

post-19645-12591235539067_thumb.jpg