Range Report: Centerpont (Walmart) 4-16x40mm scope

The Walmart in my area frequently has so great deals on firearm accessories such as cleaning supplies and ammo. For this reason I tend to be there regularly and I often browse through their shooting supplies. For quite a while Walmart has been stocking a selection of Centerpoint brand rifle scopes ranging in size and features from "toy" to "looks cool but I bet it is a piece of crap". I regardless often found myself wondering how the upper-end Centerpoint scopes would fare at the range or in the field because based on the price and features they looked to be an incredible value.

Well recently I had a stroke of good fortune. I noticed that the 4-16x40mm scope had a mis-marked price. This scope normally goes for $69.00. The tag said $.69. Yes you read that correctly: Sixty nine cents. I took the scope to one of the price check scanners and it rang up as $.69. I nearly ran to the check out and I am now the proud owner of what I refer to as "my sixty nine cent scope." I strongly encourage you all to check the price of this specific item next time you are in a Walmart.

So for sixty nine cents I was certain that I could not loose. I was expecting a poorly made piece of crap which would end up on an equally crappy air rifle. Boy was I surprised when I discovered it to be a high quality scope. In retrospect I now consider this scope to be a deal even for the full $69.00. I have owned and used scopes that go for four times that price which I did not like as much. When I looked them up online I discovered that they are actually made by Crossman.

The Details:

Model Number: CPA416AORG

Magnification: 4x-16x

Objective: 40mm

Tube Diameter: 1"

Parallax Setting: 5 to Infinity

Reticle Type: Mil-Dot illuminated red/greed with several brightness settings

Battery: CR2032 3V

W/E Click Value @ 100yds: 1/4"

Field of View (ft @ 100yds): 30.0 - 8.0

Eye Relief (in): 3.9

Exit Pupil (mm): 10.0 - 2.6

Weight (oz): 18.8

Length (in): 14.50

Comes with rings and flip open lens covers.

CPA416AORG-large.jpg

I have had this out to the range several times and it has performed very well in many different light conditions at ranges from 30 yards to 200 yards. It holds zero fine and handles the recoil of even my 30-06 without any issues. Battery life is superb. I accidentally left the illuminated reticle on when I put it away in the safe for about a week and although it is a little dimmer now it is still plenty bright. My only real complaint is that it is a little picky about eye relief but this has not given me any significant trouble.

If you really need the best-of-the-best this scope is probably not for you but for the other 99% of you out there I think you find this scope to be a fantastic scope for $69.00 ... and hey you may get lucky like I did and find one for $.69.

EDIT: forgot to mention this: when I first took it to the range I had real trouble zeroing it. It was hitting way off to the side and I was out of adjustment. I had the rings with the thumbscrews for tightening down onto the rails on the left (like the pic above). I flipped the rings around so that the thumb screws are on the right (opposite the pic above) and it then zeroed perfectly right in the middle of the adjustment range.

Edited by massaiga
  • Like 1

I would've bought like 10

Yeah... as I said I was expecting a piece of crap. After getting home and getting it out of the package I decided I got the deal of the year. I went back to Walmart the next day with the intent of buying one for every long gun I own plus a few more... but alas they had discovered their error and corrected the price.

Even so... I will likely buy another the next time I need a scope. The quality difference between this and a several hundred dollar scope is VERY minor. I will happily buy another for the full $69 but right now I do not need another scope.

Edited by massaiga

Kinda reminds me of that quaint old belief system that people seem to disregard more & more each day

"Character is what you do when no one is watching"

HarvKY

I believe you are stating that you feel that buying a rifle scope from Walmart for $.69 demonstrates a low level of moral character on my part but you are unwilling or unable to state as such clearly.

I will happily debate the morality of beating an evil corporate monster at their own game but I doubt that you are interested in real public debate. In the past I have see you comment on hostile aggressive comments by board members. My dad used to say that you could tell a lot about someone based on their assumptions of their fellow human beings. Please go jack some other thread with hostile aggressive comments.

Kinda reminds me of that quaint old belief system that people seem to disregard more & more each day

"Character is what you do when no one is watching"

HarvKY

I believe you are stating that you feel that buying a rifle scope from Walmart for $.69 demonstrates a low level of moral character on my part but you are unwilling or unable to state as such clearly.

I will happily debate the morality of beating an evil corporate monster at their own game but I doubt that you are interested in real public debate. In the past I have see you comment on hostile aggressive comments by board members. My dad used to say that you could tell a lot about someone based on their assumptions of their fellow human beings. Please go jack some other thread with hostile aggressive comments.

I thought he was very clearly willing/able and clear. :devil:

I'd love to watch a debate on this topic(s). :Johnboy:

I bought one of those a while back... for the full $69.00 price...

Honestly, I thought it was just "OK"... And that is comparing it to BARSKA, or even BSA Those are the two major brands that I own... many multiples of each... on rifles from 17HMR up to .50BMG... Many folks snub at those optics as well... I returned it to the store a day later.

Honestly, the ONLY thing that really turned me off was how the entire insides lit up when turning the I.R. on... The way the whole inside of the tube lit up, just made me feel like the whole thing was "extra cheap"... That, and I am not really fond of wire reticles. I really try to buy etched when possible... Not that there is anything WRONG with a wire reticle... but you cant break and ETCHED reticle as easily as a wire if you do something amiss... If ya do, you broke a lens, and your whole scope is junk anyways... LOL

But that was just MY experience with them... Had I been able to get one for less than a buck... hell yeah, I woulda bought all they had! :up:

:smoke:

With a retort like that you would never understand anything to do with honor anyway. Evil corporate my ass. If it had been the mom and pop grocer you would of acted different?

I have read reviews on that scope on other boards and they have been generally very favorable. Congratulations on your steal.

I bet that if the OP had tried to tell a Walmart employee that the price was wrong they probably would not care. I found a mistake on a price at my local Walmart for a 46" Sony lcd tv. It was $250 cheaper that it should have been. The guy wanted to argue with me about it.

RalphXL

Honestly, the ONLY thing that really turned me off was how the entire insides lit up when turning the I.R. on... The way the whole inside of the tube lit up, just made me feel like the whole thing was "extra cheap"...

Mine does not do this. Maybe the quality is inconsistent.

With a retort like that you would never understand anything to do with honor anyway. Evil corporate my ass. If it had been the mom and pop grocer you would of acted different?

I have read reviews on that scope on other boards and they have been generally very favorable. Congratulations on your steal.

Yes I would have acted differently in just about any other retailer. Thank you for making assumptions about my honor. Such assumptions make it very simple to know who has an opinion worth listening to.

I have strong convictions about Walmart. I boycott the vast majority of products on their shelves because of their labor practices and the labor practices of their suppliers. Go look at your closet and see if there is anything with a Faded Glory label. If there is you are supporting child labor and slave labor. I only buy products from Walmart when I know the brand and I know what went into producing the product... and this is one of the reasons I am comfortable purchasing ammo there. I tend to be very familiar with those brands.

And for the record neither I, Walmart, nor the law considers what I did to be theft. The store manager could have been the one to ring me up and he/she would not have said boo.

• Like 1

I bet that if the OP had tried to tell a Walmart employee that the price was wrong they probably would not care. I found a mistake on a price at my local Walmart for a 46" Sony lcd tv. It was $250 cheaper that it should have been. The guy wanted to argue with me about it.

RalphXL

In fact the girl who rang it up gave the price that rang up a confused look for a fraction of a second and then shrugged her shoulders. She could not have cared less. To be fair however what the random minimum wage employee working the checkout thinks is hardly representative of what Walmart as an organization thinks and in turn what either of them think is not a factor in my decision on whether my actions were moral or not.

• Like 1

Get a grip, the law does not consider a price mis-mark by a store to be a crime on anybody's part.

If he paid the price that the store offered the item for, he is doing nothing wrong.

To make it theft, he would have had to pull a tag off a .69 item and put it on the scope himself.

And as for honor, some of you guys have a convoluted sense of honor. When you become a perfect

being and are without sin, then come back and yell at people for buying mis-marked items at Walmart.

Until then, you are a hypocritical jackass.

EDIT: A petty hypocritical jackass.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 3