Hello,

I have ordered an S12 and pored over myriad posts here.

I have been spoiled by 1911 and airgun triggers, so I am putting a bit more emphasis on trigger pull feel than most. Also, I really like the Hogue grips on other firearms, so I am think of sticking to that.

But, I am new to Saiga's....

A vendor has a good price on the Red Star adj trigger group.

Any suggestions before I order would be appreciated.

Looking at these for this order:

Model: 319 Adjmiltrigger Red Star Arms #574

Model: 624 Hogue AK Monogrip #842

Model: 832 Saiga Trig Grd Kit AK-47 Saiga 12 Gauge Pistol Grip Conversion Parts #831

saiga12gpg_LRG.jpg

Model: 316 SCR Lever AK47 Shepherd's Crook Replacement Red Star Arms #238

And these for other orders:

Gunfixers Improved Gas Plug

TwisterPuc (Standard) Gas Piston

And then I will try to understand the difference between all the folding stocks available.

You should give business member Cobra's Customs your business for the trigger guard. He makes an awesome one & he will personally help you through a lot of issues you may encounter.

He has converted countless Saigas & possesses a hefty wealth of knowledge & services pertaining to them.

He is a small business & loves helping people on the forum. We need to keep that spirit around.

He can give you some great advice & personal customer service on MANY modifications. He has quick turnaround & he will reply to any questions that you have. Usually within minuets, if not just hours.

He's a roughneck, so he's a little rough at times, like many of us, but a good guy all around.

By the way, Welcome to the forum... :up:

We are rough at times, but stick around, there's a bunch of great guys here. With a lot of acumulated knowledge & engineering to provide all sorts of ideas that you can make your own, to make one awesome shotgun.

You will not find a more diverse, passionate & straightforward, but all around good bunch of guys on any other forum.

Edit:

Oh, & here is something that you will find extremely useful during reassembly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yek8AfLlu-s

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 1

I use a Tapco G2 triggergroup, (modded for the S-12 by Tromix), which I've been pretty happy with, and I don't have any personal experience with Red Star triggers, so I can't speak to that. That triggerguard is the akbuilder model unless I'm greatly mistaken. That's the same one that I used in my conversion restoration. I love it. I also currently use a Gunfixr's Gas Plug and a "medium" Twisterpuc. Both parts work very well, (especially the Gunfixr's plug).

As for that shepherd's crook, I'd advise you buy a S-12 pin retaining plate instead, (available from dinzag and maybe other forum biz members). They're easier to install/remove and more secure than that bent wire. I use a CAA UPG-47 grip, and I like it a lot, but the Hogue grip will give you one more US part, (never a bad thing).

As for folding stock set-ups, I cut off the "tang" and installed an ACE internal receiver block, ACE "push-button" folding mech, and ACE aluminum stock, (the Ultra Lite). I love the results. Ymmv.

You've picked some great parts and I'm sure your restored S-12 will be a beaut! :up: Be sure to keep us posted on how the restoration goes and above all we want some pics of the finished gun!! :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 3

I have removed all posts that do not help the OP...including my own and fellow Mods. I will continue to do so unless it is for the benefit of the OP or Saiga's in general.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in making this forum a better place. :smoke:

Respectfully,

MCASSgt New River

I would like to express my apologies to mdRcktScntst for the situation that has transpired in this thread in the past few days.

Both of the users that caused this situation have received the same "24-hour" break from posting, issued by me. I do hope this short suspension will give them enough time to cool down, think things over, and refrain from letting these outbursts, such as the one that some of us had to witness yesterday, pollute this board in the future.

again I would like to urge you to look to a single stage trigger. A 2 stage is complete overkill for a shotgun, either find a scource for a modified single pull like tromix or cobra, or get a dremil tool and modify it yourself.

I love the 2 stage pull it offers on my x39 but its very much like a match grade trigger, theres nothing there untill the last crisp snap of the trigger. Its beautiful, but we're dealing with a shotgun.

A smooth steady pull with little to no creep is easily accomplished and will serve you perfectly on a shotgun.

I also recomend staying away from FCG retaining springs. They are a pain to work with IMHO. Getting a retaining plate will require some modification to your saftey and BHO, and you can either have someone make those modifications for you, or i'll be more than glad to show you the modifications i made to mine to allow it to work properly.

Really a dremil tool is invaluable during a conversion, and i recomend buying one for general use.

I can't help you on the differences with the folding stocks as I live in a oppressed state that gives me rules to work around.

Any other questions fire away.

Triggers: I would recommend standard trigger and doing your own trigger job.

The Hogue grip: I have one and love it. I plan on swapping out some (if not all) of my Tapco SAW grips for Hogues.

Gunfixers Plug: Get it!

I don't use the rest so I don't know . . .

And Welcome BTW!

Is there a way to set this forum to automatically inform posters that a thread has been moved, or just the OP?

That seems to work well on other forums.

I did not know this had moved here. When it disappeared the first time, I did a search and at someones suggestion I restarted it in the s-12 area. After that I did not go back the fight club area.

I am going to purchase a normal FCG. Right now I have a thread in S-12 asking if Tromix ONLY offers single hook for the S-12. If so I will purchase that, but there are a decent number of recommendations to get the double hook version.

At the beginning I did say I was planning on a a plate style shepherd's crook replacement.

IS there any significant advantage to a welded in stock receiver block? I have a mini-mill, but I never got around to learning welding.