I am thinking I would like to purchase a new rifle...and an AK comes to mind but obviously I don't know shit about them. First of all I thought all AK's had a pistol grip like the old Norinkos or polytechs...obvioulsy I am wrong. So do people buy them in sporter conviguration and convert them like the s12?? Or is that just the saigas?? Second Next I thought all AK's were 7.62 x 39...obviously there are a bunch of other calibers and I think 308 would have more knock down but which caliber is/will be easy to obtain and relatively cheap?? 7.62 x 39??Lastly How does a saiga stack up next to a romanian one or a bulgarian one or any other one???Thanks.

Sorry I didn't know whether to post this here or in the general section...Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

Far as I know, only Saiga's come in sporter form. Yes, there are several calibers, 5.45x39, 5.56x45(223), 7.62x39, and 7.62x51(308), there are probably others, but those are the most common. IMHO a converted Saiga, providing the conversion is done well, is the equal, if not better the bulgy's or romy's.

5.45x39 ammo is pretty cheap these days, you can get a 1080 can for about $130.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russian_5.45x39_FMJ.html

One of the main draws in purchasing the Saiga is because it is an actual Russian made AK.

Peach State (one of our sponsors) has a decent selection of AKs...

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/category.sc?categoryId=70

A converted restored Siaga is a Russian AK. Russian AK's are superior in fit and finish and in many cases accuracy to the lower-grade clones like the Romanian WASR-10. Some clones are better, some are worse, but an AK type rifle must be manufactured in Russia to be considered a true AK. The Russian AK's are like the "Colts" in the AR-15 world.

As for caliber, that really just depends. I have the 7.62x39 because, well, that's just what the platform was originally designed to shoot, ammo will always be plentiful for it (so far as I know), and the AK round is a proven man-stopper. But, you could argue the same for the 5.45 and the .223. The .308 is pretty rock-and-roll...if you can afford to spend it. Really though, it all comes down to personal preference.

Also factor in that though 5.45 is cheaper, it is all corrosive(at least from what I have seen). 7.62X39 is a little more expensive, but it is all over and soon 5.45 will be more expensive than it is now and still corrosive. I don't like to clean my guns too often so 5.45 is out of the question for me. I went about 2500 to 3000 rounds before cleaning my gas system and the only reason it got cleaned was because I had the gun refinished finally. I would love to have a 308 but I shoot way too much to afford that ammo.

Although I don't reload or collect my brass, I do enjoy cleaning my guns and try to do it right away after I shoot. Once I didn't clean a M11 right away and when I looked at it again there was surface rust all over it. Aside from that I am just reading along. Thanks for the comments so far.

And thanks for the link to Peach State...those guys were very helpful when I was looking for my s12.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

its a good thing you don't reload if you are interested in an ak. from all i have seen, ak's are a reloaders worst nightmare when it comes to the dented brass. there are a lot of "fixes" to help that though, should you become interested in that. i only use the cheaper steel and zinc ammo. i have no interest in reloading at the current time.