16 or 20 barrel?

I'm going to buy a saiga .223 to use for coyotes and general predator hunting. Does anyone here hunt with their saiga? I was wondering if anyone had shot both the 16 and 20 inch barrels, and what the difference was in accuracy? I have always thought a longer barrel was better for accuracy. I'll be mounting a scope so that will help.

I'm going to buy a saiga .223 to use for coyotes and general predator hunting. Does anyone here hunt with their saiga? I was wondering if anyone had shot both the 16 and 20 inch barrels, and what the difference was in accuracy? I have always thought a longer barrel was better for accuracy. I'll be mounting a scope so that will help.

The longer barrel gives you a longer sight radius, but that won't matter since you will be using a scope. Go for the more wieldy gun. My wife's 16 inch barreled 5.45x39 Saiga is capable of 100 yard groups at least as small as 2.5 inches. Do you need much more accuracy than that?

Imo, a 20" barrel is better for a .223 rifle. Due to its small size, this round needs the extra barrel length to reach the higher velocity it requires to max its potential, (in contrast to the 7.62x39, which only needs a ~16" barrel).

Ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I have both....a 16" and a 20" (.223)Saiga. I don't plan on doing a thing to the 16" other than keeping it around. However, I'm going to get a Texas Weapon System beryl style rail for the 20" rifle, scope it, and try it for a calling rifle. I've got 2 AR's, but want to try out the 20" Saiga....what good is it if you can't give it a workout right? Greg

In regards to barrel flex, I think the difference is so close that the build quality could easily nullify that factor. My 20 outshoots my by a small margin 16--even with a scope. That is with Silver Bear 62grn. It is possible that maybe the 20" barrel allows for more consistent and thorough powder burn.